A3 buying advice please....BKD engine any good?

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
Hi,
After 10 years sterling service my 1.9 AFN-engined A4 (with starship miles) is getting to the point that a replacement is needed.
Now, I've always said that I'd never contemplate a 2.0 TDI having heard all the horror stories of oil pumps etc but now find myself looking at a very late 2006 A3 with the 2.0 140bhp BKD engine.
It has done just over 100k miles with an impeccable service history and the turbo was replaced about 20k miles ago.
Can anyone offer an advice as to whether the BKD is one of the 'better' 2.0 litres or is it a disaster waiting to go wrong?
Many thanks!

I'd say its one of the better diesels, the only serious defect i know about is the porous head issue. The turbos do tend to go as well but it is debatable why. Previously on the forum it was argued that it could be down to the fact the 140 wasn't the sport option so quite of few of them had never had a good thrashing meaning "cobwebs had been left to settle".

Other than than I'm unsure, there was a few issues with BKD's in other chassis but I don't think they affect the A3.

Reactions: Qasim91
BKD is a 77mm oil pump drive special ??

You will NEVER get the reliability again that you experienced with the AFN , one of VW's best ever engines .

I'm not complaining, touch wood! And it's 11 years old next month.
I just do the oil and filter every 6 months.

Thanks all!
Yes I'm aware that the AFN is legendary but at 287K on the clock (everything original on engine except glow plugs!) and with doing 80 miles a day in a car approaching it's 18th birthday it is getting to the stage that something newer is needed.
After reading around, I'm now aware of the porous head issue, but hopefully as a late '06 model it'll have the revision C head so a safer bet?
I thought only the really early 2.0 engines had oil pump issues?
Do the BKD's suffer as well?
Please excuse my ignorance!

I have a 2004 2.0BKD.

A Revision head, original turbo and it's on 166k and still going strong

04 bkd for me, 143000 miles, keep hearing horror stories about them but it's been fine so far, serviced every 10000 miles

Every 2.0 tdi with a 77mm oil pump drive is at risk because of VAG planned obsolescence .

54 A3 BKD just hit 191k had new turbo at 120k. Never let me down had it since 181k. Make sure it's got the correct grade of oil (5w30) which I found out too late lol. Was on 5w40.
Since I switched to 5w30 fuel economy has shot up and car warms up quicker.
Its a good engine weak points as people have mentioned are the porous heads and 'weak' turbos.
But seeing as you know how to look after a diesel I
Don't see you having problems with this engine

Well this time, I've found you Nessy :smile new: This was my car and it's all ok. I can only assume it's a late Cylinder head as I've Never had to top up the coolant. As to the oil pump issue, the car has never shown symptons of low oil pressure, oil warning lamp has never even had a flicker. Forgot to mention the Cambelt is due soon Central cars are aware of this and said they will be changing it before they sell it on.
Regards Bernie.

Last edited: