Anyone failed an MOT after HID retrofit without washers

downtothebone

Reaction score
As the title says - has anyone swapped from halogen headlights to HID but not fitted the washers in the bumper and then failed an MOT?

Thinking of a retrofit.

Thx.

My friends golf did, Depends how well hidden the HID kit is. If its clearly seen in the engine bay, Ohmah they'll have fun failing that.

My friends golf did, Depends how well hidden the HID kit is. If its clearly seen in the engine bay, Ohmah they'll have fun failing that.

Hmmm ... and this would apply to the OEM Xenon lamps with the LED DRLs?

No? HID's as far as am aware are illegal for road use. Xenons so long as there OEM are legal, Same with LED DRLs so long as they work the way they were intended IE, Dim or turn off when side lights or dips are turned on.

OEM lights are legal of course, but the washer system is a prerequisite, it depends on the tester, but the book says fail if washers not fitted, mine failed as my washer system was disabled by me to due a leak, which I recoded & he passed then & there, like I said if its a friendly tester, then he may not bother.

Yea, NHN has a point. If you can get a really nice tester, Normally he'll let things slide abit :p

Contentious point this one. My MOT man is not too sure either but he goes by the MOT book and says, If washers are fitted, they have to work but nothing to say HID lights have to have a washer system. I reckon the powers that be didn't reckon on people retro-fitting such motoring extras.

Well, Here's what I found.

1. EU law says that HID headlights which emit more than 2,000 lumens of light, and all LED headlights, must be fitted with washers and self-levelling,
  2. But it’s not possible to accurately measure total light output either at the roadside, or in an MOT station,
  3. So if it can’t be proven that your lights emit more than 2,000 lumens of light, this regulation almost certainly doesn’t apply to you,
  4. But, your lights must be aimed correctly and have the right beam pattern on dip and main,
  5. If you have a manual headlight adjuster, the highest angle the headlights can be set to must not be higher than the rules allow,
  6. Lastly, HID dipped beams must stay on while your main beam is on.

Well, Here's what I found.

1. EU law says that HID headlights which emit more than 2,000 lumens of light, and all LED headlights, must be fitted with washers and self-levelling,
  2. But it’s not possible to accurately measure total light output either at the roadside, or in an MOT station,
  3. So if it can’t be proven that your lights emit more than 2,000 lumens of light, this regulation almost certainly doesn’t apply to you,
  4. But, your lights must be aimed correctly and have the right beam pattern on dip and main,
  5. If you have a manual headlight adjuster, the highest angle the headlights can be set to must not be higher than the rules allow,
  6. Lastly, HID dipped beams must stay on while your main beam is on.
Maybe that is just for new cars sold in the EU. Our MOT book is something different and has to cover all cars ever built on UK roads.

Maybe that is just for new cars sold in the EU. Our MOT book is something different and has to cover all cars ever built on UK roads.

Can't be for new cars as HID's don't come as standard in new cars surely? :p

Right, they don't but for ones that do have HID's the rules must apply. Also some halogen headlight cars have a washer system. As I say our MOT book is just for all UK registered cars.

I have a 2009 a3 with halogen reflectors I've fitted a hid kit on my car and I passed my mot with no issues the kit I have is made by a company called well done and all the wiring and ballast fit within the headlight unit so when you look under the hood theres no signs of modification