Paintwork Repair - Audi Warranty, Smart Repair or Private Bodyshop?

DJ_26

Reaction score
Hi guys, the paintwork on my car needs some attention, namely in two areas:

Nearside passenger arch has lacquer peel, as shown below:

IMG 20150418 WA0002
IMG 20150418 WA0003

Offside rear arch. Tiny rust spot.

20160416 124259
20160416 124253

How shall I go about getting this repaired? I can't remember if the Audi Bodywork warranty is for 12 years or not (car is a 2005 model). Is it worth me approaching them to assess either side of the car?

Or is it better to approach a smart repair person/bodyshop and get this repaired? Also which of the two services shall I opt for?

Anyone been in a similar position?

All feedback will be welcomed!

I've got lacquer peel on my front and back bumper mate, I've just had a go at wet flatting all the edges of the peel and some of the bumper with 1500 grit sand paper, finished off with 2500 and then a 2 state polish to bring back the shine, its not going to be permanent though, once the bumper starts to peel it will eventually all peel! I would personally get the patch resprayed or the whole back bumper and the rust patch to be resprayed too, you don't know where else is rusting in the area under the paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the rust coming from beneath the paint or is that just an unlucky stone chip that's beginning to rust ? On two such small areas i think i'd be leaning toward your own body shop of choice.

2nd one is a stone chip ,if t was coming from underneath the area around it would be blistering already, as for the lacquer peel ,carefully flat the clear with 2000 then scuff the bumper up and re-clear the area around it like most smart repairers would do , let it dry ,2000 the new clear and then buff it , as loond as you fade the clear futher on every coat it shouldnt leave a visible edge.

Rub out the rust with some wet and dry and get some touch up paint, wet and dry it again once dry, repeat till flat and lacquer, but you have to get rid of the rust or it will spread quickly. you could just rub out the rust and spray lacquer on top to stop the rust.

Thanks for the replies guys, it' much appreciated. By spraying new lacquer in close proximity to old lacquer, is there a chance this may peel again at some point?

I reckon the stone chip rust is literally just on the surface of the metal, so no paint bubbling around it. So this should be fairly easy to repair?

There is a big chance the rest of the bumper will peel in time yes mate, you could either quick repair it as I have or just you will need the full bumper sanding down to primer and painting again, you may be lucky with the smart repair though!

And with the stone chip, wet flat the rust area and flat the edges, you could then buy a chipex kit that are £40 but work well, you can then use this to fill the hole and use the thinning solution to bring the paint back to the same level, watch some videos on you tube on this, my brother did a customers car on Sunday with a chipex kit got rid of a deep key right down the side of the car, great stuff to work with