Knocking on passengers side

Caoimh1n

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post so take it easy on me :)

I currently have 2011 A4, and recently there is a knocking sound coming from around the passengers side wheel. I have taken it to a couple of mechanics who thought it was a simple bushion or bearing when I described it. After taking a look at it, one of them said there was play in the steering rack, and replaced that, but the sound is still there. Neither of them could find any bushions that looked faulty, and are at a loss as to what is causing it (they know each other). It was put on the lift that shakes the car too to see if anything looked loose (sorry, I don't know the technical term for that type of lift), but they still couldn't see anything.

I only really hear the sound when taking off, or driving relatively slowly over uneven ground. Also, not sure if it's relevant, but it seems to happen more if I am turning left when taking off.

It's more annoying than anything else, but circumstances mean that unfortunately I have to sell it (moving house), and I would rather it be right before selling.

Does anyone have any ideas?

My old a3 done than found the driver side suspension strut had play in rod be worth checking.

Reactions: Caoimh1n
I have he exact sound you describe. recently got worse and I plan to change the top mounts and rear shocks (they are noisy).
Is your car lowered or standard?

Hi Meemo, my car is just standard. I've since taken it to another mechanic and he couldn't find the knock either (though he didn't seem too bothered). I think my next move will be replacing the front shocks to see if that sorts it. There is no obvious wear (leakage), but I can't think of anything else.

I had this exact same thing on my old A3, drove me mad, it turned out to be the suspension top mount!!

Reactions: feva
Yeah AUDI, it's driving me mad too. It doesn't affect the actual driving, but it's just annoying, especially when I'm selling the car. I'm gonna drop it in to another mechanic on Monday, and ask him to specifically look at the shocks and suspension mount. Thanks for the suggestion.

so I was told it is very unlikely for a front top mount to go (I am hunting a knocking noise too today lol) but that doesnt mean they dont go bad, a new front top mount is only £16.50 each inc vat if you have pals at places like euros, so I would start with the cheap things.

Have you checked the bushings on the control arms? they are also quite common, i had a knocking passenger side last year at low speed, always heard it when pulling off the driveway, was caused by that bushing, cost £6 + £1 for a new stretch bolt from audi, then £30 to a friend to fit.
If you remove the plastic inspection covers under the bonnet in the top corners, you can get access to the control arms, worth using a phone video to see the underside so you can inspect the bushing properly.
Hope this helps a little.

Could be that the door striker needs raising a bit.