Activate CH and LH lights

Whodafunk

Reaction score
I'm trying to activate the CH and LH lights on my car.

I have a 2007 A3 8P without auto headlights or auto wipers but with Xenons. I visited forum member ShaunS3 to activate it with VCDS but unfortunately it didn't work.

I've ordered a repair wire to connect from pin 12 to earth, but I've been reading the lengthy thread on here about activating it and it seems there are many variables in order for it to work.

If I don't have auto lights or wipers but have Xenons will it work with the repair wire and activation? Any help is much appreciated

Which type of xenon may I ask? You need to find a very good ground.I tapped around until I got one. I used the one near the driver side fuse box, just tap the group once and if they active you can remove the wire no need for it to stay.

I think they're xenons with shutter.

That's the bit I don't get though, how come the wire can be removed once they're active?

Bi xenons that's what I have, I don't know mate, Maybe they work on some sort of relay the ground must active and deactivate. Just keep tapping, turn ignition, lock door and repeat until it works. Goodluck.

Careful as every time you tap you turn on and then turn off, all 12v electrics in a car need a ground to work, so basically if you loose a ground to your lights they will turn off until you ground them again.
Bit like when you see birds on power lines, they dont get electrocuted, if you tie a cable to there foot to the ground, yep they get fried.

I have the exact same setup just vcds and the repair wire and it will work on a timer without the light sensor.

I'm having trouble with this. I've installed the repair wire and enabled with vcds and its not working. I've tried it with both 0-personalisation and 1-light sensor and neither work. I've tried various ground points and it hasn't worked. Any ideas?

I have xenons but no auto lights or wipers.

I'm having trouble with this. I've installed the repair wire and enabled with vcds and its not working. I've tried it with both 0-personalisation and 1-light sensor and neither work. I've tried various ground points and it hasn't worked. Any ideas?

I have xenons but no auto lights or wipers.
Are you sure your grounding the correct pin on the module? I have Bi xenon no auto lights on personal setting.

Are you sure your grounding the correct pin on the module? I have Bi xenon no auto lights on personal setting.

Yes I think so. Plug E, pin 12?

It's the only black plug in the socket marked E F

Yes I think so. Plug E, pin 12?

It's the only black plug in the socket marked E F
Maybe it's module related then if you've wired everything in correctly and done all of the coding, maybe Pm Ash187 or NHN with the module part number and ask them.

Module related, what does this mean?

Can anyone clarify which plug is plug E? The black plug I removed was in a socket labelled E F. Theoretically this could be plug F but there was only space for one plug, if that makes sense.

Some modules don't support it - I'm working on my car tomorrow so if I remember ill take a picture of how mine is and send it to you via personal message.
Or take a picture of where you put it and ill check if it's the same

Some modules don't support it - I'm working on my car tomorrow so if I remember ill take a picture of how mine is and send it to you via personal message.
Or take a picture of where you put it and ill check if it's the same

That would be great thanks.

It's straight forward... Don't understand how guys get this one wrong? Code it to work as per the guide and then tap a ground and it comes on. You need to make sure the key isn't in the ignition and drivers door open to check the lights are on.

It's straight forward... Don't understand how guys get this one wrong? Code it to work as per the guide and then tap a ground and it comes on. You need to make sure the key isn't in the ignition and drivers door open to check the lights are on.

If it was that easy there wouldn't be a 9 page thread dedicated to this and several other threads. I'm pretty use to working with cars and I have followed the instructions to the letter. Something must be different for it not to work.

Had another go today trying to find a good ground but still no joy. I'm following everything to a T so don't know what's wrong. I did a scan afterwards and got a fault on central electronics (see below). It did however let me clear it without returning. Any help would be appreciated, thanks...

1 Fault Found:

01800 - Light Switch (E1)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 4
Reset counter: 16
Mileage: 95658 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2016.04.03
Time: 12:52:00

Freeze Frame:
OFF
Voltage: 12.20 V
OFF
ON
OFF
OFF
OFF

Also just noticed the date on this fault, must be from my last attempt a week ago

You reset it 16 times? That's pretty doubtful. That's something reaccouring.

That error has been there a long time it says it was reset 16 times and has happened 4 times since its last reset so it's been going on a long time.
Look into the fault code mate.

According to Ross Tech;

Possible Symptoms
  • Parking Light Status Lamp (in Instrument Cluster) stuck ON
  • Self Dimming Rear View Mirror not working
Possible Causes
  • Light Switch (E1) faulty (or switched to an intermediate position)
  • Wiring/Connectors from/to Light Switch (E1) faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Light Switch (E1)
    • See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
  • Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Light Switch (E1)

I think it must relate to the repair wire I added to switch E.