LED's, talk to me.

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So I want to fit some LED's for the DRL's, the side lights and the number plate lights.

I purchased what are marketed as can bus error free bulbs, guess what all 3 sets brought error codes up.

So without soldering in resistors, really don't want to go down that route due to the temps they can run at and it gets hot enough in the bi xenon units, what are my options?

Are the LED units for the Number plate any good?

Any help much appreciated.

My sidelights I used a plug and play resistor, my number plate lights I soldered a couple of resistors in but you can also get a plug and play loom for those and for my reverse lights I once again soldered the resistors in place but made them waterproof also as they sit in the void behind the bumper.

Worries me using resistors in the headlights mate as I've got no xenons and the heat that comes off from in there is a lot and I really don't want to chuck a resistor or 3 into each headlight, think it's just asking for trouble.

Yes I can vouch for above. My resistors do not get hot at all. I dont think it will be an issue at all.

I have genuine Audi numberplate lights which thru up an error, solved by a plug and play resistor.

Can't comment on drl as I have factory xenons which I have left standard.

Yes, I've got them currently.

Super bright white LED!

No error display. The only down side is that the LED's do not light up the whole length of the number plate itself. A narrow beam angle

Dan.

Reactions: Dani_B19
Since posting that I've come across a plug and play wiring loom resistor which is about £15, may go for that for the number plates, that way if they do blow it's only a few pound a bulb rather than £15+ a time for a new unit.

Honestly, dont worry about resistors for the number plate LED. They wont be an issue. Ive tried and tested loads each with no 'Bulb out' error.

Mine must be tempromental then as it isn't like any led at the minute.

Oh ok.

Best thing to do is clean copper connector with electrical cleaner (a couple of £'s from Maplins)

If problem persists, get different ones.

I've got spare LED's for the number plate.

If you want them, they're yours!!

For those that have used plug and play resistors for the side lights, where have you mounted the resistors?

Is the slack long enough to place them outside the housing?

Looking like I'll have to go down the plug and play resistor route as that's the easiest and cheapest.

Problem is I'll have a resistor for the side lights and the drl and I don't think they'll all fit in the headlight housing.

There's plenty of room inside the headlight for them to fit so you'll be fine mate

Reactions: Dani_B19 and DrStrange
Hey. I've got a 04 plate A3. Would Xenon upgrade cause the wiper motor to blow? Also what other alternatives are there. At the moment I have Horrible yellow headlights. Thnks guys.

Hey. I've got a 04 plate A3. Would Xenon upgrade cause the wiper motor to blow? Also what other alternatives are there. At the moment I have Horrible yellow headlights. Thnks guys.

Xenon upgrade should not cause the Wiper motors to blow unless there is some major Electro magnetic interference going on.
2 types of xenons really; 35w and 55w. The 55w is slightly brighter and doesn't tend to throw up error signs on the DIS (display)

Put the Xenon ballasts inside the Headlight housing otherwise this will cause all types of EMI above.

Alternatives are LED but dont explore it for headlights as its costly and not as guaranteed as xenons. (HID)

Thanks for the help DrStrange. Very useful, as I was close to buying led bulbs.

Thanks for the help DrStrange. Very useful, as I was close to buying led bulbs.

No probs.

Good catch then :)

Yes its best for now to avoid the LED headlight route all together. Trust me, you wont be disappointed with some nice bright Xenons.
All for like £20 !

Hi mate, thanks for the headsup. Do you mean just the bulbs being £20... The Xenon kits am being quoted is around £120.... Am I looking at the correct stuff? Lol

Hi mate, thanks for the headsup. Do you mean just the bulbs being £20... The Xenon kits am being quoted is around £120.... Am I looking at the correct stuff? Lol

I'll help you :)

So that we dont annoy Dani_B19 , create a new post and we'll go from there.

Sorry Daniel.

Yes sorry Daniel.
DrStrange, I've had trouble creating new post on the app. Will look through properly. Really appreciate your help.

No your fine guys, it's all kind of relevant so keep it in here b

No worries,

If your looking at ones that are that price it's likely they are OEM. Meaning factory made for Audi. As good as they are, they are simply not worth it, especially if you're starting out modding with lots in the pipe line.

Just go on Ebay, type in 'H7 HID's' and literally pick the cheapest ones. Get the 55w ones. They work a treat!

First link are good! Basically you are after the H7's as they are the correct ones for our cars

Then you want to choose what kelvin to get.
5000k are diamond white (oem style)
6000k are ice white (I've got these. They have a tiny hint of blue)
8000k and beyond its starts to become blue and chav-tastic!

2nd links are no good. A member on here has/had these. The DRL's are super dim and it's not a good quality set for the money.

Are you on London by any chance? If you are, I wouldn't mind helping you fit them. They aren't difficult. Or I could talk you through it.

Alternatively you could indeed get them done for you.

Hope this helps

Hey man, thanks for getting back. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was in all honesty interested in the head light units. But it does look too good to be true.

I am in London and would appreciate your help, I can also pay you for your time and travel to you, if that's any help. :)

I have these 2. Excellent power and brightness. Exactly like you said..not 100% Fit and stick out slightly due to plastic/foam seal. However I reduced them down.

Negative point: These are very directional and DO NOT light up the whole number plate from a distance you will see. I dont care though :p