Press Clutch Pedal to Start

Woody_Westy

Reaction score
It's is one of the worst features on new cars...

How can I turn off the need to depress the clutch pedal before it will start the engine??

Ta

Aye, not sure I see the problem either...?

There might be a way via VCDS but I've not seen anyone mention its possible.

Push the button with the 'A off' when you have started the car, that will turn stop-start off.

blogger-image-1916662451.jpg

In my car, as it's an s-tonic and does not have a clutch pedal, I have press the brake pedal to start the car. When I first started driving you needed to depress the throttle pedal before the car would actually fire up. That was in the carburettor days. Modern fuel injection system no longer require this but old habits die hard and every once in a while I find myself pressing the throttle rather than the brake.

I think the pressing the clutch or brake pedals coming about some years ago when a number of US drivers were starting their engines with Drive engaged and driving the car into the wall at the end of the garage. Not as well interlocked as they are today!!

If the engine is cold you should always press the clutch in to start the engine. You are taking the load of the gearbox off an engine that isn't protected by oil, makes quite a difference

If the engine is cold you should always press the clutch in to start the engine. You are taking the load of the gearbox off an engine that isn't protected by oil, makes quite a difference
You have to press the clutch to start the engine at anytime.

I think the pressing the clutch or brake pedals coming about some years ago when a number of US drivers were starting their engines with Drive engaged and driving the car into the wall at the end of the garage.

Don't you just love the intellect of our American cousins

S-Tronic can start in park or neutral, providing your foot is on the brake. I would doubt this can be disabled with VCDS in the manual or auto.

It could probably be disabled, but the it's really not worth the time or effort.

If you're coming at it from the point of view of it being a pain in the **** to keep remembering to do it, just keep doing it, the neural pathways will connect, the habit will form, and inside of a month you won't even think about it. That's the power neural elasticity. Repeated tasks are relegated to the subconscious, so you no longer think about how to do them, much like the act of driving itself.

If you like to be able to start your car without getting in it and then leave it running, this too is a habit, but one that should be broken. It's bad for the car, it's bad for the environment, and it's bad for your insurance. If someone jumps in and takes the car, you will get precisely £0.00 from your insurance company.