Gearbox Oil Query

H

HansfishS3

Hi all, had my gearbox changed a few months ago, it was filled with Triple QX EP 75w90 oil. Now it states that this oil meeting GL-4 and GL-5 spec (so should be okay with our cars) however I've recently read some articles stating that these oils may not neccesarily be sutiable for all synchromeshes. The gearbox has always been a bit notchy going from 1st to 2nd gear. Considering the oil is basically new is it worth draining it and filling it up with OEM stuff?

Bit odd as GL 4 and 5 are separate specs .

Don't think Triple QX are all that .

Probably produced by Tetrosyl .

The 75W90 will have a high viscosity when cold so I'm guessing yours is a cold shift problem ?

If you find the right tool to undo the filler can you post it up here please? It is like a security 14mm hex plug, with a number 18 on the raised island. I am stumped.

I picked up a TT thread and it was mentioned in there. Looking at the Redline products there are light, medium and heavy - no idea on any of this. You?

No I got one of those m16 security splines from draper on the off chance it would somehow fit the hex filler plug, but unfortunately it doesn't. Mine is like the image but has a raised section with an 18 shown where I rubbed off the dirt trying to get a 12mm in or a 14mm hex.
The sump was a standard 14mm hex and the side drain on the transfer was a 10mm.
Screenshot 20160228 080104

This image is from Haynes manual, had someone swapped the filler plug from a 5 speed to the s3? As clearly this image has filler on left side, but filler has raised center.
IMAG1885

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack original thread.
I will start my own and delete these.