Bought a 2001 S3, need to remove and repair turbo

Bigchrome

Reaction score
Hi,

First time posting here. I bought a 2001 S3 with the turbo blown.
I need to get it out, send it off for repair and put it back in, but I'm having a really tough time trying to find a guide that I can follow.

Can someone point me in the direction of a good guide (preferably with pics) to remove the turbo without removing the head (engine was built pretty recently so it would be a shame to crack it open).

I have some basic knowledge and tools, don't have an engine crane, ramps, or garage.

Cheers!

Bonus pic of the turbo with TIP off.

Attachments

• IMG_20160221_180445.jpg
    IMG_20160221_180445.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 249
you can go at it from underneath. remove subframe, downpipe and manifold. thats the way i did it. but i was doing clutch at the same time

Easier with head off mate. Can do some routine jobs then like belts, pumps and gaskets.

The engine was rebuilt only a couple of thousand miles or so ago. New head, skimmed, gaskets, everything replaced and belts done at the same time. If it really is the easiest way I'd go for it but I'd expect it would cost a bit extra and be a bit nerve-racking!

If you have a guide at hand for this though I'll take a look?

you can go at it from underneath. remove subframe, downpipe and manifold. thats the way i did it. but i was doing clutch at the same time

Cheers! Am I going to need the car on a lift to do this? Would I be mad to do it on axle stands in a driveway?

Any guide for tools I'll need etc to do it this way?

You got a hybrid turbo there.. looks like it's over sped or lacked oil at some stage

i had access to a ramp. it's doable on the axle stands but would be alot more difficult and fiddly.

Theres a workshop manual online that tells you how to do it. It would be doable on the drive easily. No point in a ramp cant do much of it from underneath anyway.

I cant link the workshop manual as in on my phone but its something like this:
Remove tip, charge pipe and the back charge pipe bracket, also the turbo red elbow.
Remove the downpipe nuts, then pull the pipe off the studs.
Could also get at the bolt on the turbo support bracket whilst your faffing down there.
Also you can remove the coolant hose that goes to the turbo from the block, big banjo bolt into the block. And also the turbo oil return.
Then get on top and remove the 2 banjo bolts in the top of the turbo.
The oil pipe has a support bracket that bolts to the comp housing so you need to get at that, small allen headed bolt, accessed from the tip side of the turbo, bit of a ****** to spot but it is there.
Then it should just be the 3 main bolts that go through the exhaust mani into the turbo, and wrestle it out.

But ill try and link the workshop manual when i get home, unless Tufty beats me to it.

Reactions: SamHendry