More problems..

Chrishuddie

A3 S-line
Reaction score
Not had the car long and one thing leads to another, It's a 2009 Audi a3 S-line 170.

I'm having an odd howling noise, drivers side, only when slowing down between 20-30mph, Is made worse/louder if going slightly downhill, and i can hear rotations in the howling when it does happen if you get what i mean. I can feel some vibrations through the pedals whilst the noise is apparent. I can't really determine whether it's when braking or natural slowing down though.

Bit of a side story; I changed the rear wheel bearing today (Drivers side) as there was a grumble from 40mph onwards, This problem has been fixed, that noise is completely gone, we now have a reverse similar noise at 30mph and below. i did also swap the front & rear tyre around, I did have a budget tyre on the back, and wondered how much of an impact it was making to bearing noise so i swapped them over after replacing the bearing, so the budget is now on the front (Budget is temporary) I didn't have this noise before changing the bearing?... Rear pads are low and need changing and i just nipped to tesco and used there electronic air pump and put all the tyres to correct PSI's

Could it be something simple like the budget tyre is just donkey?, would it really make that much of a noise that i can hear it inside, Any questions please don't hesitate to ask, IF i can't get it sorted soonish will book it into a garage and see what they say.

Last edited:
I changed three wheel bearings on my last TDI, before my son convinced me it was the cheap tyres.
Could have saved a small fortune.
I had no idea that cheap rubber could make as much noise on the road.

I'm interested in what tyres you had/have.
I'm new to my car, a 2009 A3 quattro with Michelin Pilot Sport 3's and thy are very noisy on coarse chip seal, but sweet and silent on smooth surfaces.
I would sacrifice noise for "ultimate handling" when time comes to replace rubber if someone has good suggestions.
EJ

I'm interested in what tyres you had/have.
I'm new to my car, a 2009 A3 quattro with Michelin Pilot Sport 3's and thy are very noisy on coarse chip seal, but sweet and silent on smooth surfaces.
I would sacrifice noise for "ultimate handling" when time comes to replace rubber if someone has good suggestions.
EJ
I honestly can't remember, it was five years ago. I did have Nexen's on it, it could be them. Cheap as chips at about £45 a corner.
I run my 3.2 with Goodyear F1 AS 2's, (except for the nsr, which blew out last Saturday and was replaced with a Goodyear Efficientgrip), and they are very good. Great performance and very little noise.
You won't get much better grip than with Michelin Pilot Sports for the money.