Lumbar Support

Snibo

Reaction score
Had a couple of long drives over the Christmas / New Year period.

Couple of days later, my back (specifically around the Kidney Area) was aching.
Didn't put the two together at first, although when it happened the second time realised that it must be the seating position.

Fiddled round with all manner of seat positions before eventually realising that it was the Lumbar Support.
Took all the air out of it and no problem since.

So, anyone suffering with a bad back after a long drive, may be an idea to check your Lumbar Support.

First car I've suffered from with this - despite other Marques also having Lumbar Support.

If you have a sensitive back, it's not as simple as just sitting down and getting comfortable. You can't tell straightaway.
Also, one of the things about driving being bad for your back is being on one place for too long, comfortable or not.

I find the A3 seats pretty comfortable in general. On long journeys I adjust the lumbar support, up, down, in, out from time to time, if my back seems to be niggling.

I would say that lumbar support is probably the most important option to take - and relatively cheap.

Reactions: jetron and Minion Bob!
If you have a sensitive back, it's not as simple as just sitting down and getting comfortable. You can't tell straightaway.
Also, one of the things about driving being bad for your back is being on one place for too long, comfortable or not.

I find the A3 seats pretty comfortable in general. On long journeys I adjust the lumbar support, up, down, in, out from time to time, if my back seems to be niggling.

I would say that lumbar support is probably the most important option to take - and relatively cheap.

Happy I added this option - last minute !!

if I drove around with the lumbar support fully inflated this would give me back ache too.

I find it just needs minor inflation to give the additional gentle support in the 'lumbar' area and then helps prevent / reduce back ache on long journeys.

I love the lumbar adjustment, but yes you do need to know its there and how to adjust it !

Reactions: Snibo
Took me around a month to get my lumber support just right, so I can sympathise (I also get bad backs).

I've got a desiccated disc L3

I can tell straight away if the seat and lumbar aren't right

When you have an actual back condition you learn and are taught how to manage the condition.

I still can't find a driving position that suits me as well as my mondeo or focus had. It seems to me that the relationship between the seat and the pedals isn't quite right either. Its nothing I would complain about though as it is much better than other audi models I've driven..

Reactions: Soulboy and Snibo
I've reached the age (40+) where aches and pains are becoming more common in my back, mainly my lower back. I have also put this down to sitting down all day at work with what some may describe as bad posture. However I have had more issues lately since buying an S3 with Lumbar support. I too have had less issues since deflating the support

I always find it best to set the seat up once and then leave it.
Every time someone messes with it (dealers etc) it is uncomfortable till I get used to it again.

.....I adjust the lumbar support, up, down, in, out from time to time.....

I really should read the Manual !!
It goes up and down ?! I thought it just went in and out.

Just had a squint at the round button control and there are indeed four sets of depressions.
Think 10 minutes sat in the Garage on Saturday is in order to have a good fiddle.

Previous setting was on full air so only surprise is that it's taken a year and a half to affect my back.
Have never suffered with a bad back, hence my surprise now.

Reactions: WarwickL
Have never suffered with a bad back, hence my surprise now.

Don't know how old you are - but get used to it! Pretty much inevitable to some degree or other.
And one of the worse things for backs is sitting in a car, however comfortable.:sob:

With the adjustable lumbar and heated seats, for me with my missing disc, sitting in the S3 SSS is far better for my back than sitting anywhere else. I continually adjust the lumbar up/down and in/out during an extended drive. If I could get it to that automatically do that, I'd be even happier ;)

Glad someone else does it. My wife's forever telling me to stop messing about with it!!

Reactions: WarwickL
The lumbar support doesn't operate by air, it doesn't inflate anything. It's all done using electric motors, wires and pulleys. Somebody on here once posted a great photo of a seat with the covers stripped off.