@ The Dealers - your opinions please

Dub2Dub

Reaction score
So last year when I got my car is was due a service not long after, I, as many wanted to get the Audi stamp in the book after getting the car, mainly because it gives some peace of mind to potential future owners and my own peace of mind to a certain extent.

They encouraged me to buy the Service Plan, which isn't really their service plan, it's a 2 service - One inspection, One full service for £399.

Well I've traveled 18k (miles) since last Jan and it was due for it's major services. I'm curious to peoples opinions on the comments from Audi:

£45 for a wiper blade (What?!)
£80 Coolant top up (Is that not a service option?) They want a new Seal Ring with £50 labour
£403 Windshield Film (Surely a chip repair guy under insurance is a better option?)
£69 for Brake Fluid (Is that not a service option?)
£80 for Air Con (Fair enough, can't grumble)
£190 per Tyre (Ouch! 245/40/18)
£306 for a Bulb Replacement - Which only exists because I replaced a faulty bulb without resetting the error log - I also replaced the pair for £34 delivered

Aside from the obvious options, I'm concerned about the comments around the items I would have assumed would be part of a service, surely brake fluid and coolant should be covered?

Regarding tyres I've seen the Audi spec and branded versions for about £100 a corner. I'm not looking for an independent who can do the fluids for me and if they can match the price on the tyres I'd take them too. I'm based in the south west if there are any recommendations ?

Next up - REMAP, I'm being advised Revo is the way to go, although I like the idea of a live remap - Any thoughts?

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm confused, is it a new car with 18k?

Sorry, it's a 2008 A5 3.0 Quattro Diesel, I bought it with 22k on the Clock

wiper do yourself - coolant do yourself lol

Servicing is just that, oil, filters & checks over the car, they don't include bulbs etc as that doesn't have a shelf life as such.

Brake fluid is normal price, pita at times, so I'd always use them.

Wiper would include setting service position, removing old, cleaning arms, fitting new, testing, etc, so if you allow 10-20 mins to follow this cycle then I can see the cost being £45.

Time is money, they have to charge for there time as do all.

Tyres are always much more at the dealers, so understandable, but I wouldn't use them personally unless convenience was the important factor.

Aircon as its not a new car is fair.

Bulbs depends which ones, but seems very expensive, but again does that include time to remove bumper etc, variables in these things have to be considered.

Coolant I'd say sounds far fetched, check what the £80 is for exactly, there must be something within that you're not aware of, but if the seal ring is needed in a precarious place, then again its time.

Windshield film, as in windscreen, well that depends what's wrong with it, limited info & the fact you say film, not an actual windscreen, hard to gauge, but again a new screen genuine Audi does cost allot more than auto windscreen etc through insurance, so I can see this being possible.

Can I just say that referring to the main dealers as "stealer's" doesn't really look good for the rest of us who have spent many years in relation to this forum building up a good relationship. They give this forum support and arrange open days where you can go and drive their high end cars at no cost as well as information and car launch invites.

If you don't like their prices go elsewhere.

You are relatively new here with a low post count, please think before you post, especially if its bad mouthing a dealership.

Reactions: jojo, Sandra and NHN
Can I just say that referring to the main dealers as "stealer's" doesn't really look good for the rest of us who have spent many years in relation to this forum building up a good relationship. They give this forum support and arrange open days where you can go and drive their high end cars at no cost as well as information and car launch invites.

If you don't like their prices go elsewhere.

You are relatively new here with a low post count, please think before you post, especially if its bad mouthing a dealership.
@sidibear is right. Your thread title has been amended, and the reference to "rip off" removed.

As to what is or is not a service item, consult your service book. That will tell you exactly what is included in a service. If it's not listed, it's not included.

After that, decide for yourself how much the dealer stamp and peace of minds you referred to are worth paying for.

Reactions: Sandra
Fine fair comment, stealers is always a term I've seen through the various cars I've had and the associated forums - It was used in jest more than anything else, call it 'street cred' for a forum!

I was sharing the list of advisories but also referencing the pricing to get a good indication as to whether I'm better off looking for an independent rather than a main dealer.

The film was in reference to a small chip in the window, Audi recommends a full film replacement rather than a fill in job.

Brake fluid I assume would have been covered from a major service, after all it's a consumable part that integral to the performance of the vehicle, and was surprised to find that it is not included.

Coolant just says seal and coolant top up - The lady on the phone couldn't really go into much more detail and then was on lunch when I collected the car.

Bulbs are D3S I picked up a generic set and fitted myself, all in all a 30 minute job for both sides - I was alarmed at the price they quoted for just one bulb, seem outrageous to be perfectly honest with you. The reason for the diagnostic flag was the log hadn't been reset, even the driver taking me back was alarmed at that price. £304 for a single bulb and job. Ouch.

As for the service book, it's a bit loose in terms of what's included in a service, a tick box and guidance and brake fluid is under one of the sections for a service refill, but the option of the actual service fill in has a tick box under additional work - ambiguous at best. Struggled to find anything online either.

For the record I'm a believer in value, getting value for the money spent and so long as it's fair I'm happy to support. I would rather go to a dealer to have my car looked at and worked on but sometimes looking around a little further afield makes a lot more sense. I was annoyed that I saw a number of advisory notes on items that I would have expected to be included as part of their service pack, after all it's why I paid Audi to maintain my car.

The fact they pick you up, drop you off, offer a courtesy car to me are incredible value points and that's what I like about going to a dealer. Not to forget they give it a nice clean too! I just had concerns over some of the items quoted, hence was asking for opinions on the board - As you no doubt have substantially more knowledge about these things than I would - hence the reason for being here.

Now that's settled, and the thread is amended, just want to thank you all for taking the time to comment.

I will seek an independent for comparative quotes on the remaining items and refer to my insurance provider regarding windscreen cover.

Reactions: jdp1962
They will recommend a full screen replacement as its a structural element of the car and they will advise what is best not what is the cheapest.
They probably do not have a record of the brake fluid being changed so have listed it as an advisory.

I went to the dealer for just an oil change, and I got it discounted to £199 allin, just to get the stamp! I did make it clear to the guy on the service desk that if the inspection is part of the oil change, then go ahead with it, but I will not require any additional work done other than the oil change done. He understood clearly, I did get a mini valet cleaned inside and out, and a full inspection, plus they did a puncture repair on one of my tyres.

Very happy with the service I got. :)

Reactions: Sandra
Where about in the southwest are you? Phil Miller runs a independent garage with a great reputation but is down in Launceston, I'll happily drive down there from Plymouth whenever i need work done that i can't do myself.

Dealer prices are always going to be vastly inflated compared to independent garages but the overheads are also a lot higher and ya know... audi isn't exactly known for being a cheap brand!

I'm in Bristol, little bit far for Launceston but thanks for the referral!

I don't mind spending a few quid, just not £305 on a bulb :)