Stolen keys..... options?

seky

Reaction score
Hi

I've just had my house trashed this week, and in the process they took all my spare keys (1 flip, 2 fixed and 1 wallet key), together with my service history, so can only assume they intend to come back for the car at some point.

House insurance says it's nothing to do with them, so need to claim on my car insurance. Car insurance has £250 excess, and I'll also lose my no claims bonus (so much higher real cost).

If I do nothing, as my keys have been reported stolen I'll no longer be covered, so needs sorting.

What would be my best option be, and does anyone have an idea of cost?

It's a pre-facelift S3 ('99).

Thanks

You can code out all current keys I believe rendering them unable to 'start' the car but obviously they can still get in to the car which won't prevent it being towed...

You are essentially going to have to replace the locks (drivers, boot and ignition), get the new keys coded and that will make it secure again... you could also try physically disabling the car using any of the commercially available wheel clamps and steering locks etc...

<tuffty/>

So sorry to hear this, it's such a shame as you know at some point the thieving bas***ds will be back. I recently was trying to find out if unused/stolen/missing keys could be electronically disabled from the ECU but it turns out there's not much point as you can buy a cheap device to disable the immobiliser anyway.
Might be worth paying the excess to have all new ecu and lockset

******! So either way it aint gonna be cheap.

Wish they'd just bleeding took it at the time and have done with it!

I'd be getting a steering lock and blocking the car in as a temporary measure mate

Well my insurance company want £500 theft excess plus my NCD will drop from double figures to 3, so that's out the question.

Is there anyway to reprogram my 1 remaining key and immobiliser to something different than it was (rendering the other keys useless)?

deadlocks and a cut off switch fitted along with a good steering lock,

nice alloy baseball bat

Sorry, I'm in Stockport (south Manchester).

Think I'll try removing the fuel pump fuse as suggested until I can sort something

Thanks