smf conversion on a 130 pd

marcgj

Reaction score
hi guys, after some advice / experience etc.... on this conversion, mine has got the shudder on idle and slight rattle on take off, not bad really as i think its the original and on 160k, now i've read some conflicting threads/experiences on this conversion on the pd engines.

so i'm after some thoughts/ experiences if you've had this done.

thanks.

marc.

I did read that the smf rattle a little at idle on the Diesel engines, I did the convertion on my old 1.8t sport and it was really good.

I did this conversion a few months ago on a 03 asz 1.9 tdi a3, don't do it! Serious chatter from the gearbox. Drove a 1.8t with same conversion it drove really nice, the flywheel is on it's way out in my own s3 and il be replacing it with a dual mass when I do ; ), moral of the story buy a dual mass ha ha

Yeah heard about the slight rattle. Wouldn't mind that. I had a 1.8t a3 but never got around to the conversion on that ....g60 flywheel isn't it.

By the way it's not a slight rattle, on boost it's really annoying : (

I did this conversion a few months ago on a 03 asz 1.9 tdi a3, don't do it! Serious chatter from the gearbox. Drove a 1.8t with same conversion it drove really nice, the flywheel is on it's way out in my own s3 and il be replacing it with a dual mass when I do ; ), moral of the story buy a dual mass ha ha
That's 1 for the dmf lol.

The guy that's doing it (as I can't be *****) said he's done loads with no problems and he's the local clutch/gearbox expert, he's charging £130 to do flywheel and clutch (just fitting)

If he was expert he know there doing more harm than good:tonguewink:

I know lol, I've read about the rattle also possible crankshaft failure but nothing actually documented.

SMF conversions on petrols are not a problem, diesels are completely different, some work OK others don't .
DMF's were first fitted on diesels to try and isolate the engine vibrations from the drivetrain which they do a good job with. The difference between the cost of a SMF and DMF kit is usually marginal , but people seem to think that the SMF is better because the next time a clutch is changed it won't need replacing. In reality how many cars are going to get 3 clutches.
Because the weight of the clutch plate on a DMF clutch is lighter as it usually has no springs the gearchanges are better with a DMF and the synchro in the gearbox has an easier time.
DMF every time. It's not just the noise at idle it affects other things as well.

Reactions: Jay 01 s3
Thanks for the lengthy reply, I'll probably go dmf. Can get a Sachs kit flywheel/clutch/bearing and all bolts for £299 and then £130....so not bad at £430 all in.