Better lights !

had you considered getting some xenons from another a4 b7 and retro fitting, they work very well, and if i say that then they must be way better than standards.

Agh thanks, seems like quit a lot of expence then.

Are you just after brighter halogen replacements?

That work cost member b7 fur £330 back to his door, they will perform as good, if not better than an oem setup.

If your after an oem setup I have a set I bought a while back that needed TLC, well it's getting it and will be up for sale as soon as I have time to work on them.

Thanks
Trups

Reactions: B_FUR
or you can buy my projector LED set when and fit HIDs when i fit my Trups conversion at the weekend :cool new:

I can really vouch for Trups's projector lens and H1 HID upgrade. Probably one of the best mods I've done to mine.

I too was really underwhelmed by the OE halogen performance, the 'projectors plus HID' upgrades are a world apart.....

@t8ups

which harness did you use? Just been looking at it today and not 100% on the harness.

Im guessing the halogen full beam has been removed?

I did this kind of install on my bora, but as that was h4 it was a lot easier! haha

Hi.

on the setup that I made you retain the OEM high beam as well as gain a high beam from the projector, so at night when driving you will have 2 high beams making it safer.

No harness is needed if converting your OEM halogen lights, you will need a splitter cable but that's inside the headlights.

Thanks
Trups

Yea I saw the splitter cables. I would probably do away with the halogen high beam.

Did you need the bulb out adapter too to avoid warnings on the dash? Iirc the H7 harness would only plug into one side on the car.

Cheers for ur help!

Well it would seem i have a problem with my lights, ever since i have had the car when i turn the lights on they come on nice & bright then within a second go dimmer, for the last couple of days after i turned them on & drove a few yards up the road they would suddenly brighten then dim on there own, tonight they brightened then went out altogether but came back on within a second or two, did it three times on the couple of mile journey home,

Benny, no harness is used on a canbus car due to that problem. The car has sufficient power to power the new ballast.

For you to have a full bi xenon setup loosing the oem high beam would need a custom relay and some resistors to keep the errors away.

I have done this on my 05 polo gt as I have done away with the inner high beam and my projectors do all the functions but I don't have canbus so it's easier to work with.

Well it would seem i have a problem with my lights, ever since i have had the car when i turn the lights on they come on nice & bright then within a second go dimmer, for the last couple of days after i turned them on & drove a few yards up the road they would suddenly brighten then dim on there own, tonight they brightened then went out altogether but came back on within a second or two, did it three times on the couple of mile journey home,

What type of ballast have you got? Sounds like you have DC ballast, if you swapped for some AC ballast this would stop the problem your having. I only stock DC ballast, they do cost slightly more but they last a lot longer. Drop me a PM if you need a set.

Thanks
Trups

Buy a BMW with laser lights..
I thought the new Bi-Xenon LED's were good...

Last edited:
There is no Bi-xenon LED's !
they are two different king of lamps - LED is 100% different than xenon like type!
Xenon is gas which is bright when is hot - so he use ballast to make it warm and you will receive brighthess on the road !
LED is a few diods using projectors but they have no gas or anything :)

I don't know what king of projectors he use but there is a picture in the night on wet road with Morimoto projectors !
Don't look the set up as i remove them and before setting on the car make that picture!

image hosting over 5mb

free photo upload

i change them to the original Bi-xenons because of the DRL and better looking !
Otherwise they were amazing

You can get bi led headlights now dimitar. Not in retro fit form yet but the ones that are out are good, I have a few sets In The office for future projects.

I stock genuine morimoto projectors which I buy in from the USA from TRS. They ain't cheap but worth the money if buying the real thing, a lot of people claim they are selling morimoto but they are not.

I was very impressed from the output which i use to have on mine ... If they look like Oem i will keep them !
Thinking some day to change mine oem projectors with Morimoto ;)

Reactions: t8ups
Hi @joinerman

Did you get this resolved? I've just upgraded my B7 (07 plate) sline bulbs at a reasonable cost, as follows:

Main & full beam - H7 5000k Phillips £40 for 4 http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/251784566452

Side lights - 501 LEDs £9 pair
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/161843157614

Resistors for 501 LEDs - £3.85 pair
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301634821613

Fog lights - H11 5000k - Phillips £26 pair
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/281684128663

All in, £79 plus labour if you can't be bothered to fit yourself.

The resistors sort out the error code for the LEDs and I'm really happy with the 'whiteness' of them, considering they're not xenons.

Hope this helps mate.

Last edited:
How much better are the Philips lights over stock?

I'm getting a little confused with all the options I have to say. Are the options (for original non Bi Xenons):

- OEM lights
- Aftermarket lights which are straight swap
- Morimoto projector (which is a Xenon) - requires modification (how good are these in comparison and how much are these?)
- Xenon - requires modification (which t8ups says he did for a member here for c. £330 and they are better than OEM Xenons)

And maybe at some point some kind of LED aftermarket option?

Last edited:
@DrEvil

The Phillips bulbs are much whiter than the standard halogens (although not as much as xenons I guess) it came with but the LED sidelights are even whiter and look awesome.

Whilst I'm not a complete novice, I'm not too sure on the terminology and what you're asking .

The Phillips bulbs were a straight swap, as were the LEDs albeit they were not error free which is why I had to get the resistors to resolve this.

Sorry if it's not much help mate but I'm slowly making slight improvements here and there!!

That's helpful - with it getting darker earlier now, and on a drive at weekends I was decidedly unimpressed with the standard lights.

How much brighter/improved range are these than standard in your opinion?

Ok thanks. I would say they are crisper if that makes sense. I did 200 odd miles yesterday at night and they worked a treat. In terms of range and brightness, I would better albeit a minimal difference..........most importantly........they look the nuts!!

How much better are the Philips lights over stock?

I'm getting a little confused with all the options I have to say. Are the options (for original non Bi Xenons):

- OEM lights
- Aftermarket lights which are straight swap
- Morimoto projector (which is a Xenon) - requires modification (how good are these in comparison and how much are these?)
- Xenon - requires modification (which t8ups says he did for a member here for c. £330 and they are better than OEM Xenons)

And maybe at some point some kind of LED aftermarket option?

The £330 setup is the morimoto one into your oem halogen headlight, side by side to an oem setup you would not know the difference, they would be brighter as all parts are new, your average b7 xenon headlight is 8 years old so counter in wear to the reflector and bulb.

I have bulb upgrades that are like what the Philips do, they are £12 a pair if looking for a more competitive option, have been selling them for a couple of years on the forum and are popular.

I have bulb upgrades that are like what the Philips do, they are £12 a pair if looking for a more competitive option, have been selling them for a couple of years on the forum and are popular.
Interested in any bulb upgrades I can put in my b7 cab without dicking about. Any info appreciated.

Hi @joinerman

Did you get this resolved? I've just upgraded my B7 (07 plate) sline bulbs at a reasonable cost, as follows:

Main & full beam - H7 5000k Phillips £40 for 4 http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/251784566452

Side lights - 501 LEDs £9 pair
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/161843157614

Resistors for 501 LEDs - £3.85 pair
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301634821613

Fog lights - H11 5000k - Phillips £26 pair
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/281684128663

All in, £79 plus labour if you can't be bothered to fit yourself.

The resistors sort out the error code for the LEDs and I'm really happy with the 'whiteness' of them, considering they're not xenons.

Hope this helps mate.
Do you have any pics
Also the 501 led say can bus error free on the eBay page so are they or not as in did you try without the risistors?

Not improved the brightness issue yet but found the cause of them going out momentarily, drivers side top mounting bracket is bust & i think the looseness/vibration had loosened the plug on the back, it was very loose, pushed back on tight & made a repair to the bracket & all seems good again. think i will go down the bulb replacement route.

Interested in any bulb upgrades I can put in my b7 cab without dicking about. Any info appreciated.

I have the bulbs from Trups and am well impressed, the difference over the standards bulbs was 100%. Its a whiter light so less eye strain, and they do look really good.
Easy to fit, just spend four hours lying on your back in the cold and damp taking your front bumper off, remove the back cover from the headlight, remove the bulb, put in the new one, and put the front bumper back on.

yeah you dont need bumper off to change the bulbs....... just triple jointed wrists and spindly fingers

Benny, no harness is used on a canbus car due to that problem. The car has sufficient power to power the new ballast.

For you to have a full bi xenon setup loosing the oem high beam would need a custom relay and some resistors to keep the errors away.

I have done this on my 05 polo gt as I have done away with the inner high beam and my projectors do all the functions but I don't have canbus so it's easier to work with.

I wonder if you can code the car for factory bi-xenons and that would do away with the error for full beam. I will have a look into wiring on a bi-xenon setup.

Theoretically it should work, as you can then use the shutter control wires on OEM to run your aftermarket shutter, then just get a H7 type DRL bulb.. hmm

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
Thats not end of the world. I did my oem bi-xenon retrofit on my a3 without any issues.

Would certainly be better (in my opinion) than keeping the halogen full beam :)

Reactions: dimitar.tuntov.5
With some looms etc I could make them work bi xenon, heck if someone had the budget if make them a quad setup if you want to go all out.

For oem bi xenons I have mods to make them perform better, next month I am also releasing a new drl bulb I have had made for vag cars. Will be error free, no resistors or nothing needed.

Trups