1.8T Recommendations

CSS3

Reaction score
Hello All,

I posted the other day in regards to moving back to Audi as I have had an absolute terrible 5 - 6 months with my Vauxhall Astra costing me over £5,500 in the past 3 months alone.

I've now settled and bought a lovely looking green a3 1.8t

nq446v.jpg

So far I've only updated the rear lights and added an audi decal to each side but it's a start I guess,

I've got a small list of mods I want to do visually however I'm after some recommendations performance wise.

My planned modifications;

Lowering Springs
18" Alloys
Big Bore Exhaust
100% Tints
Angel Eye Headlights
Plasti-Dip Smoke Rear Lights
Front Mount Intercooler
Forge 007p DV
Stage 1 Map

I would just like to hear what others have done with their 1.8T's is there anything in particular that may help towards power ?

Obvious things for power are hybrid or bigger turbo, FMIC and a remap. plenty of other bits to help support the power though.

Those rear lights made me feel a bit sick. Nice colour though, only seen a few around in that green.

Obvious things for power are hybrid or bigger turbo, FMIC and a remap. plenty of other bits to help support the power though.

Those rear lights made me feel a bit sick. Nice colour though, only seen a few around in that green.

I'm going to be smoking them with plasti-dip, they're not exactly my ideal look at the moment however money is tight at the moment. I'm sure once the plasti is on they'll be much more appealing.

Thanks for the info.

One thing I have noticed is that when driving my temperature always goes down to 60 or even below. However when sitting idle temperature rises back up, is this normal ? My old A3 never used to go below or over 90 degrees whilst being used.

Coolant temp sensor or thermostat most likely culprits for erratic temp gauge.

Coolant temp sensor or thermostat most likely culprits for erratic temp gauge.

Cheers mate, I just read that elsewhere also. Will get those done soon, I'm guessing that was my reason for rich fumes and stupid fuel consumption ?

Engine running rich could be something else. You should get the car scanned. Buy a vcds cable off ebay.

Worth flushing the engine as well and seeing if that helps, my coolant temp on the dash used to be all over the place, but sorted itself out when i flushed all the coolant one day.

Don't fit those lights
Don't fit those decals
Don't fit 100% tints
Don't plasti dip the lights
Don't fit a 007p
Don't fit angel eyes

And we'll get along fine

Reactions: moisty, Northampton_ofn, JamieT_a3 and 14 others
Don't fit those lights
Don't fit those decals
Don't fit 100% tints
Don't plasti dip the lights
Don't fit a 007p
Don't fit angel eyes

And we'll get along fine

And why would I want to get along with you? You seem stuck up your own **** no offence but everyone has different tastes.

I have to admit, reading the list of mods/intended mods did my my skin crawl. . . However I managed to restrain from saying anything.

I bought my first 8l in 2006, you'd have never seen any of this tat then... It's just a shame that as the price of these machines decreases, so does the standards of the clientele.

And you can read a lot into the fact your original post has zero likes, and Karls has 4... I actually am sorry for being so harsh, but some things need to be said. . . Call if tough love if you will!

Reactions: moisty, mister.c., Tj 0785 and 2 others
I have to admit, reading the list of mods/intended mods did my my skin crawl. . . However I managed to restrain from saying anything.

I bought my first 8l in 2006, you'd have never seen any of this tat then... It's just a shame that as the price of these machines decreases, so does the standards of the clientele.

And you can read a lot into the fact your original post has zero likes, and Karls has 4... I actually am sorry for being so harsh, but some things need to be said. . . Call if tough love if you will!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion I guess. But putting something across as an idea / recommendation is a lot more polite than telling me "don't do this or I don't like you pretty much".

I only posted for some ideas and people's views but when it comes to rudeness then speak to others how you wish to be spoken to.

On another note those lights are coming off and the standard ones will be put back on. I've also only listed a forge 007p dump valve as that was recommended on a thread someone linked me to that is actually on this forum.

@16Klappe

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...k03-k03s-agu-and-aum-engines-fwd-cars.191705/

I don't see the issue with tinting my windows personally as that's more for hiding what's inside my car. And my personal taste I like the angel eye headlights.

Thanks for your thoughts anyway.

Reactions: VAG-Slag
I've also only listed a forge 007p dump valve as that was recommended on a thread someone linked me to that is actually on this forum.

@16Klappe

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...k03-k03s-agu-and-aum-engines-fwd-cars.191705/

If you read that topic, it actually states that an OEM DV is "Boss". And only lists the 007p (or the new 008) as the only alternatives out of the myriad of other diverter/dump valves that people could potentially consider, IF you really must get a shiny metal one. Personally I'd save the pennies, buy a new OEM if the one fitted is tired and put the money elsewhere.

[QUOTE="CSS3, post: 2589155, member: 100461'']'' or I don't like you pretty much".
[/QUOTE]

I did not mean this. The latter part of my post was just a joke. Maybe came across harsh so I'm sorry about that.

I just don't want to see a perfectly nice AND RARE colour A3 get slapped up with ricer parts. I'm not even a purist, I love modifications.

Reactions: marcusp13
I just don't want to see a perfectly nice AND RARE colour A3 get slapped up

This. I haven't actually seen one in the flesh in this colour before. Saying that, it's all about personal taste.

[QUOTE="CSS3, post: 2589155, member: 100461'']'' or I don't like you pretty much".

I did not mean this. The latter part of my post was just a joke. Maybe came across harsh so I'm sorry about that.

I just don't want to see a perfectly nice AND RARE colour A3 get slapped up with ricer parts. I'm not even a purist, I love modifications.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but it didn't really come across humorous at the time of reading it. I don't plan to use those lights if that helps lol. I am reverting them back as I don't really like them myself and plasti isn't going to do much for them really.

Im glad you like the color of my car. However I am sticking to most of my list as the window tints will be hiding what's inside my car. The angel eyes probably wouldn't be something I'd add anytime soon either.

The DV was something I had read on a post someone quoted here in regards to better performance.

Hope that clears up most of what you didn't like :)

On a side note is there any recommendations of decent wheels / rim color that could go well with my car color?

Does anyone also have a link for the updated forge DV I will need or is anyone selling one?

Forge sell them directly or try one of the retailers in the sponsors section

Forge dv will need to be serviced from time to time though, they do service kits for this...

<tuffty/>

Forge sell them directly or try one of the retailers in the sponsors section

Forge dv will need to be serviced from time to time though, they do service kits for this...

<tuffty/>

Cheers tuffty,

Will head over to their site and take a look.

Agreed with the others, keep it euro mate, get it low on a nice set of black wheels, colour code the bumpers, look at some of the threads on here with regards to the headlights, people have modded them to look great, is it a face lift car? If not get that done, it takes years off.

I'm running a Forge 007p, mainly because there was already one fitted when I purchased the car, seems fine to me!

Put some more of those Audi decals on it mate, but I'd have thought silver would go better against the Green to match the wheels.
How about silver viper stripes as well with a black pinstripe to match the wheels and tyres?
Get a bit of chrome going as well, perhaps on the door mirrors?
:)

Lol... dont forget the racing spoiler, stick on subaru bonnet vent, brembo brake caliper covers, sunstrip, bodykit, spinners, Peco big bore 4, neons, ripspeed goodies and a mbc.

What's the difference between the 007p and the latest one?

And your sarcastic comments are invalid.​

the 008 is the newer version.
But you can get the revise piston for both.
Honestly tho save yourself the ££ for other goodies and get a brand new OEM Bosch valve for about 40 quid

Reactions: JonnyDerv
the 008 is the newer version.
But you can get the revise piston for both.
Honestly tho save yourself the ££ for other goodies and get a brand new OEM Bosch valve for about 40 quid

Cheers mate. I'd prefer to go with the forge part personally as I don't want to spare any money on anything I buy for this car.

Is there any recommended lowering springs / coil overs that are worth going for?

Cheers mate. I'd prefer to go with the forge part personally as I don't want to spare any money on anything I buy for this car.

Is there any recommended lowering springs / coil overs that are worth going for?
My car has snapped two sets of Eibach springs, been fine on a set of H&R springs so far though.

Suspension is dictated by budget really. There's lots to choose from. DPM is a site sponsor so maybe check out all they have to offer

Just remember things that are more expensive aren't necessarily better.

The uprated oem DV (710p) is the one to have.

Reactions: Tj 0785
Can I just ask what went wrong on an Astra to cost 5K in 3 months? was it quite new, or a multitude of problems one after the other after the other? someone I know has a 2.0 gsi turbo coupe (I think) and it has been a pretty solid car mechanically.

Are you thinking of any interior mods?

I am not sure about your engine, but the first thing I did (servicing aside) was remove the N249 valve and jungle of associated pipes. I do have a forge DV (its actually a splitter - with a blanking cap - supposed to be a 007 once capped) I think the comments about the poorness are because there are so many adjustment options (clicks and springs) if there are any ever boost issues etc - not worth helping until the standard Bosch 710 is installed) and if it is badly adjusted may damage TIP, vacuum hoses, wastegate, possibly leading to lean mixture burning out plugs and then coils and the additional heat may damage the breather hoses the list goes on and on.

Assuming you have an android phone I would get a Bluetooth ODB2 reader (£5) and Android Torque Pro (£2.69) - try the free one first ;) then you can read the multitude of ECU faults - but also have an ECU based boost pressure gauge amongst other things :)

and then also consider an ODB2 lead (another fiver) and the VCDS Lite from ross-tech - to talk to the cars computers and associated sensors. :)

I have a list of faults to resolve on mine - the forum is a magical place

Forge split-r is a piece of actual crap... It's neither a good diverter valve or atmos valve... The vag ecu doesn't like atmos valves as it messes up fuelling... Needs to be a sealed system... Running problems tend to be from air leaks... Split-r is a leaky valve... Bin it... Or weigh it in... Or use it as a paper weight.. Just don't use it on your car

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Lavis89
^ as above the forge split valves have been shown to leak even with the blanking cap on, not good!

I've got a 008 Forge valve, have had it since it was originally released and the advice since then has changed to use a standard valve. If i didn't already have the forge valve then i would definitely be getting a standard one, the forge service kits (needs to be serviced every 12 months) almost cost the same as buying a OEM valve every year.

Also as others have said, check out DPM performance for your suspension, very helpful and knowlegeable

Cheers for the info guys.

@Stuart B - The astra was one thing after another but that's just ecotec for you and a big lesson learned, never touch a vauxhall again for as long as I live.

Thanks for the info, I already own a cable and vcds on my laptop and I have already scanned and picked up 4 errors and they are easy fixed from what I've read up on them.

I do plan on some interior mods such as gauges, maybe leather seats depending how I feel with money, would also like to get my dead pixeled screen fixed on between rev counter and speedo.

First things first is my exhaust as it's got blows all over the shop and one of my errors is because of it. I've ordered up my decat, straight through and back box so hopefully that will patch the hundreds of holes up.

Next up will be my wheels, I've been looking at some brand new 18 inch deep dish wheels I've seen for sale that I may be able to collect over the weekend. Then just need to stick some tyres on. Then my 3 little errors.

After those things I'd imagine it will either be my tints or having the car lowered then hopefully be ready for my remap.

The joy of no bills and freelance work should get me on the way to my goals pretty quick :)

Thank you all for your input.

Just remember things that are more expensive aren't necessarily better.

The uprated oem DV (710p) is the one to have.
Do Euro car parts stock this item? Or where can I aquire?
Thanks in advance

Incase anyone else wants to buy the 710p its £40 delivered from Stoke audi parts website.
Thanks again

Reactions: JonnyDerv
15zsc5u.jpg

I may be picking these up tomorrow the advert said 19 but from what I can see on his pictures they're 18s, hoping these may fit.

I've also just ordered up my team heko deflectors, pressed number plates & super bright number plate bulbs.

Last edited: