Help Wanted ESP Light On

Eoin

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2001 Audi S3 8L AMK and the ESP light comes on when I go over about 10mph. The ABS light doesn't come on. I got it scanned today via VAGCOM and it is showing the following error codes :

HALDEX
01316. ABS Control Module. 49-10 - No communications - Intermittent
01314. Engine Control Module. 49-10 - No communications - Intermittent

After reading the information on the various forums I think my first step should be to change the Haldex oil and filter and I guess I should also check the earth strap on the Haldex unit. I've checked all fuses and they seem alright. Brake lights are working. Would I be correct in thinking that either I have a broken wire/connector somewhere or else the Haldex controller needs replacing?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Eoin

I forgot to mention that there is also a clacking sound whenever I turn the ignition on - initially I thought that it was the fuel pump but maybe it's related to the ESP/Haldex problem...

Eoin

I pulled the Haldex fuse and the car drove quite differently (FWD). Seemed quicker but it looks like the car might normally be stuck on permanent AWD, I'm thinking it's a faulty Haldex controller at this stage but will get it up on a ramp and check all the connections first. The clacking noise goes away when the fuse is pulled also which may indicate that the Haldex or the pump is the problem.

The abs light doesn't come on? Mm. Clear the codes and see what comes back. Change them fluid anywa but check the connections to the haldex controller and the ABS controller. Also the connector ontop of the battery where the fuses are, check that's not coming loose.

thanks for that; I'm working my way through checking all the connections, will take another few days. I've also ordered Haldex filter and oil so I'll do that once I get the parts. I think it's just a process of elimination but my money's on the Haldex controller being suspect although I haven't ruled out the ABS controller. I cleared the codes but I can't seem to clear the following one which I somehow forgot to include in my first post:

VAG No: 8NO 907 379E
01324-control module for all wheel drive (J492)
49-00-no communication

Check the wiring plug on the back of the diff... prone to corrosion

<tuffty/>

Thanks Tuffty, checked that and it's ok....will keep looking. Earth strap looks ok but will double check it and then do a Haldex and diff oil change when I get the bits. Stuck in 4wd which is ok....

Replaced fuse 31 but no difference. When I take the fuse out its front wheel drive only so it seems to be stuck in 4 wd. No clicking from pre charge pump when fuse is out. Thanks all the same...a process of elimination...

Cleaned earth strap contacts today and also checked and cleaned ABS controller connections but did not make any difference. My next step is to replace the Haldex oil and filter...just waiting for the parts to arrive. Hopefully this will work.

thanks Stuart, I hope it's not the ABS module but I will check it out if I can't find a problem with the Haldex oil/pump/connections.

Eoin

Ok, so this morning I changed the Haldex oil and filter, the old oil wasn't too dirty. Also checked the connector going into the Haldex controller which was ok. ESP light still coming on above 10mph so I think I need to look at replacing the Haldex controller....

I'm going to pick up a Haldex Controller from a breakers tomorrow; it's from a 2001 Audi TT. From what I can see on the parts chart, these have the same part number as my 2001 S3; Can anyone confirm if it will fit ok? My controller is 02D900554B part number. Is there a difference between the controllers that have a B and a C at the end?

Thanks, Eoin

B and C suffix on VAG parts normally depicts version change

Main difference between haldex controllers is the gasket... one uses an rubber o-ring type seal and the other a metal gasket... you just need to use the right gasket for the right controller... should be evident as the o-ring type has a rebate for the o-ring to sit in...

Do NOT reuse the gasket... it WILL leak :)

<tuffty/>

thanks Tufty, picked up the secondhand Haldex earlier today and have ordered the o ring gaskets. Will fit then and hopefully clear the ESP light and permanent AWD.

I will fit the Haldex controller at the weekend. The Haldex controller uses the o ring gaskets but does anyone know if it possible or beneficial to add the metal gasket also (I think I read this somewhere)?

Only use the proper gasket designed to be used with the controller you have

<tuffty/>

So finally, I managed to fit the second hand Haldex controller unit I got a few weeks ago. Fiddly to fit but the good news is that the ESP warning light is no longer on and the car drives perfectly i.e. no more permanent 4WD. Thanks to everyone for their advice and help on this.

Eoin

Unfortunately not a happy ending after all. When I tried to scan the new Haldex Controller to ensure all was well I found out that there is no communication with the VAGOM. It doesn't give any message at all but gives a "No response from controller" alert. I also noticed after driving it for a bit that under heavy acceleration there is a jolt or skip from the rear at about 4/5000 RPM which feels like the haled clutch or controller isn't engaging properly. Any ideas would be appreciated. I think the most likely scenario is that the replacement controller is also faulty or else maybe that the Haldex clutch itself is damaged.

...any ideas on the above problem would be very welcome! thanks.

Have you checked your precharge pump? No comms means something isn't quite right with that controller. You need to check it out

thanks Gops, I'll do some research and check it out. Maybe the Haldex controller and the precharge pump were both gone....I know the precharge pump was working overtime when the old Haldex controller was on the car - you could here it clicking even when you turned the ignition on. Also, as it was permanently stuck in AWD the pump would have had to work harder (I think).

I see you can get new precharge pumps on Haldexparts.com for €219 which isn't too bad. I think its a better option than buying a second hand one which may or may not work properly, increasing the risk of not finding a solution. I still don't understand how by replacing the Haldex controller I got the car driving almost perfectly (i.e. no permanent 4WD, only small skip from rear wheels) but lost all communication with the haldex controller on Vagcom. My other alternative is to go ahead and change the diff oil first as planned (unlikely to make any difference) and just drive the car as it is for another while and keep doing research on the problem until I can narrow it down some more.

... so today out for a drive on wet roads and plenty of opportunity for the ESC/AWD etc to kick in and out and after a while the ESP light came back on again. Switched off the engine and started it again. ESP light came on again once travelling over about 10mph. Car drives well with no jolt/skip from the rear at 4/5000 rpm. However, rear wheels skip and drag on full lock. So, back to square one again with permanent AWD and ESP light over 10mph. Scan on ABS is giving me the original fault:

01324-control module for all wheel drive (J492)
49-00-no communication

Still can't scan the AWD module, getting the "no response from controller" message when I try.

I'm not sure what to try next; the precharge pump must be working if I'm getting permanent AWD so I'm not convinced that replacing it will fix my problems except it would eliminate that as the possible cause of the problem. I would have thought that it is the halex controller which gives the signal to the pump to switch on and off when AWD is required. I'm beginning to think that the replacement Haldex controller is not working properly. The other possibility is that the ABS module is the cause (although I know this is not as common).

Again, any views or comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Eoin

Finally sorted, turns out the connector between the loom and the haldex controller at the rear of the car (near the exhaust) had opened as the clip was broken. Was able to hold it together with a cable tie. Took the car for a long spin and all is well and no codes showing up on VAGCOM. Happy days.