Restoring chrome wing mirrors

IPG

Reaction score
as the threat title states - looking to restore asmine are looking a little "cloudy". are they supposed to be full bling chrome or a sort of matte/brushed chrome?

I'm thinking of using headlight cutting compound (Meguiar's - PLASTX) but just wanna double check before i go nuts on them...

Some guys use metal polish and have had good results.. Never tried it personally though..

I thought that also. Mine are dull and thought were brushed aluminium, others appear chrome and shiny? Aren't there 2 types??

Well these are mine... See the "cloudiness"I don't know how else to describe it?

Like. Doesn't look clean but I've cleaned the car. And scrubbed them till the cows come home but still not a smooth finish...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 360
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 328
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 321
Mine are the same. Thought they were meant to be like that as brushed aluminium? The chrome ones are different?
Tuffty??

Dude... put some clothes on!! lol

<tuffty/>
LOL i was trying to do my best to keep out of the photo!

so it's metal yeah? anyone here with pics of how they turn out after using metal polish?

To this..
DSC 0893

Reactions: IPG
Actually used lemon juice and baking soda. Then rinsed and waxed after.
But autosol wud probably work just as well of not better

love the natural solution mate!!! looks heaps better thought - gunna get some autos tomorrow

Yea they definitely look better. I think the full chrome mirrors are either not genuine or just a different option

Mine are definitely lacquered brushed aluminium finish, not chrome/polished. The lacquer on mine is going a little cloudy in places, not sure weather to strip it and get the relacquered or just leave them alone and avoid the risk of messing them up.

over the years i have seen 4 different types. theres the brushed aluminium, polished chrome, plastic chrome and colour coded plastic. brushed aluminium are really hard to get hold of, i've been trying for 6 years.

over the years i have seen 4 different types. theres the brushed aluminium, polished chrome, plastic chrome and colour coded plastic. brushed aluminium are really hard to get hold of, i've been trying for 6 years.

As far as I know (and I bow to those of greater knowledge) the only factory ones are colour-coded plastic or optional polished aluminium. Everything else is aftermarket.

Whether or not the polished ones are factory lacquered is unclear...mine don't appear to be, but who's to say they weren't changed along the line somewhere?

lol guys this mirrors are from polished aluminum, they are no lacquered. They became "cloudy" as somebody said because of using wrong car shampoo or other chemicals harmfull to polished aluminium. If you wanna them to look like new again then need to be sanded and re-polish again - no other way.

Chrome are aftermarket, 'fake' if you will

the facelift had an option for plastic chrome mirrors which mine are. i have the receipt somewhere when my car was bought. i found a bloke a few years back selling a set of aluminium mirrors and polished aluminium chrome, both looked very different, one was very reflective and polished the other looked more like brushed aluminium. unfortunately i didnt get them which looking back now i wish i had.

I scraped one of mine on a wall, wet & dry & some metal polish the affected area came up like a mirror finish. I wanted to do the whole lot but would of taken ages & dont fancy using the dremel on them.

god - ok so i THINK mine are the brushed aluminium type
they don't feel like plastic or they don't look like they have a lacquer on them...

but... don't want to risk damaging them if metal polish is used on them (since i'm in australia and S3's are few and far between) lol gaaahhhhh what to do...

you know what - i'm going to pop the mirrors off and try metal polish somewhere on the inside of the casing first lol that was if it stuffs up i can cover it back up anyway

Mine are definitely in need of a good polish, as my car was originally sold in Japan... lots of salty water, both mirrors had tons of water spots.

Already tried some metal polish that I borrowed from my provider and it did work quite well, although it will clearly need more than a few passes. As soon as I get a chance I'll order a full bottle and start working on it.

PS: I'd say the color on our metallic mirrors are kind of a "silver satin"