rear brake discs & pads, what are the recommeded items to use.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
looks like my rear discs are getting close to replacement time along with the pads, what is the recommeded disc & pad combo to use, there does appear to be a lot of brand options out there but not sure what to go with for just normal driving , looked at audi parts but want to cover all options to be honest.
EBC look to be good , any feedback on whats out there guys.

I wouldn't touch EBC with a bargepole. Pagid standard road pads & Discs are a OE supplier to VAG motors amongst others. I've used them on every occasion for replaced parts for years now on all my VAG cars for the last 15 years, never a problem with them. Eurocarparts sell them at a good price and if you Google a discount code for them I'm sure you can knock another 10% off.

For a standard road car then OE supplied or equivalent parts will be good enough, Euro Car Parts usually have online offers. Funnily enough I replaced mine yesterday with Delphi stuff (Similar if not better than Pagid) luckily I still get parts for trade cost so they only cost me £60 for the lot.

I have used EBC pads several times over the years with no problems. I think the Redstuff compounds they used to have may have had issues, but I have them front and rear on my car now and they are great.
No dust , no squealing and they perform really well on the road.And I managed several laps at Castle Combe before the rear Ferodo pads gave up. The Red stuff on the front were happy.
I used Yellowstuff on my previous car and despite the dust which was a bit worse than OE they never missed a beat.
I have the Pagid front discs on my car from carparts4less and they work fine.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/karls-3-0-tdi-build-thread.204785/page-9#post-2547879

Karl.

Reactions: Stanningtonglen and 45bvtc
Redstuff on two cars front and rear , wouldn't use anything else .

Reactions: 45bvtc
I wouldn't touch EBC with a bargepole. Pagid standard road pads & Discs are a OE supplier to VAG motors amongst others. I've used them on every occasion for replaced parts for years now on all my VAG cars for the last 15 years, never a problem with them. Eurocarparts sell them at a good price and if you Google a discount code for them I'm sure you can knock another 10% off.

With greatest respect; these are 15K mile Audi/Brembo/Pagid OE brake pads recently removed from a 2012 Audi RS3; note them 8-big FAT brass rivets in each pad holding the friction material to the back-plate:
P1020385x_zpssodnu7wj.jpg

You should see the state of the brake disc! :sadlike:

He's now on EBC Redstuff and a h a p p y Audi RS3 driver/braker...

Some people love 'em and some hate 'em. Still think you can't beat OE pads & discs, they are the most consistent.

Those Pagid pads above on the RS3 are OE factory fitted. As I said earlier I believe that there were problems with Redstuff pads several years ago but they are a different compound and construction to what they used to be.Redstuff are R90 approved so pass all the same tests as OE pads but have the advantage of lower dust and much better high temperature performance.

Most pad compounds never evolve .

EBC have done several times and needed to aswell.

Some people love 'em and some hate 'em. Still think you can't beat OE pads & discs, they are the most consistent.

Is that a Westfield there Soot1? I prepared/created all of the Construction and Build (Module) manuals back in 1998/2000, drawings and all; hope they were of use to you :hi:

Is that a Westfield there Soot1? I prepared/created all of the Construction and Build (Module) manuals back in 1998/2000, drawings and all; hope they were of use to you :hi:

Westfield, yes. Mine is '98 but I didn't build it, I'm the 3rd. owner. These cars are like a Triggers Broom, on mine only the chassis and GRP body are original, everything else has been upgraded or just changed for the sake of it. Build manual didn't come with it but they are on line now.
How she is now----

Reactions: Stanningtonglen and 45bvtc
With greatest respect; these are 15K mile Audi/Brembo/Pagid OE brake pads recently removed from a 2012 Audi RS3; note them 8-big FAT brass rivets in each pad holding the friction material to the back-plate:
P1020385x_zpssodnu7wj.jpg

You should see the state of the brake disc! :sadlike:

He's now on EBC Redstuff and a h a p p y Audi RS3 driver/braker...

He's not a normal road driver is he? I would of thought RS3 brakes be upgraded to something a lot better than that.

Nope, these am STD Audi/Brembo/Pagid OE pads. The RS3 (and TTRS) did have an upgrade (47i6) but it's primary aim was to reduce low-speed brake squeal and while the back-plate of the brake pad was modified the pad-to-backplate 'fixings' remained the same and as mine have already started to score the brake disc, and they didn't resolve the low-speed brake squeal. Most RS3 owners will know that I've spent a long time with this issue corresponding with dealers, Audi UK, and Audi GmbH, and having evaluated a number of brake-pad alternatives am ow running EBC Redstuff front and rear on my RS3. That said, Redstuff did NOT suit our TT so that's on OE pads and all's well. Our A2 is on EBC Greenstuff and that stops very well.

Enjoy that Westfield; I was invited to manage the factory but with the owner and every member of the family in daily attendance and each carrying their own particular Westfield ball thought better of it.

Julian Turner runs the show there now. They all are like a big family and very helpful to their customers. Only problem is sourcing parts, some parts take months to appear on your doorstep which is due to the factory being run on a shoestring and having prioritise which suppliers get paid first. You made the right decision.

Reactions: 45bvtc
thanks for the info guys, after reading your replies and doing a bit more looking i decided to give the EBC Ultimax2 OEM replacements a go, they seem to be a decent spec and upto recommeded OEM spec too, I dont drive like mad max on the road anymore so they maybe Ok, they are said to be a lot less powdery than other pads which is another reason i went with them, the audi ones on at the moment are terrible for powder, wheels are covered after a very short time.

anyway i'll see how the workout and report back with my results.
rgds
rob