Is my Engine Toast??

Wow thats sounds...ermmm...interesting! Haha!

I have a 1.4 TFSI 09 plate and I'm not sure if mine is a timing chain or belt(need to research it tbh)but I'm having it replaced every 40'000 miles instead of every 60/70. Im also going to start checking oil seals as Ive seen these are a problem on the 1.8 and 2.0 but whats not to say there a problem on the 1.4.

Glad you got a goodwill gesture though!
I would also recommend you change your oil service schedule from 'long life' to 10000 miles or 12 months as I have been told this helps prevent oil sludge clogging up the oil pickup pipe..

You are one lucky dude.
Just hope I'm as lucky with my S3 gearbox news. Fingers crossed.
Cheers mx_rab.
I feel like I 'dodged a bullet' on this one..
What issues do you have with your gearbox?

I would also recommend you change your oil service schedule from 'long life' to 10000 miles or 12 months as I have been told this helps prevent oil sludge clogging up the oil pickup pipe..

Cheers for the suggestion,this is something I will be considering today when I sort everything out. Cheers for that

Cheers mx_rab.
I feel like I 'dodged a bullet' on this one..
What issues do you have with your gearbox?
Dodged a cannon ball ha.
Makes a horrible grinding noise when turning right. They should be taking the box out yesterday so hoping for some news today.

Dodged a cannon ball ha.
Makes a horrible grinding noise when turning right. They should be taking the box out yesterday so hoping for some news today.
Lol....
Hope it,s good news mate..

This is a very common issue in MK6 Golf GTI's

Great result on getting that contribution but to be fair Audi should be stumping up the full amount. At the end of the day its a manufacturing fault and not something you could prevent with servicing. The fact there is a revised part practically admits VW / Audi recognise there is a design flaw

This is a very common issue in MK6 Golf GTI's

Great result on getting that contribution but to be fair Audi should be stumping up the full amount. At the end of the day its a manufacturing fault and not something you could prevent with servicing. The fact there is a revised part practically admits VW / Audi recognise there is a design flaw
Hi Rhyso.
I was expecting the worst outcome regarding 'goodwill' that when they came back to me with 90% I just agreed.(possibly the reaction they were after?) who knows? Anyway I thought it was best to accept the offer rather than 'rock the boat'

Reactions: Rhyso
Well I didn't know that. I'll keep that in mind. But it looks like they are paying for my gearbox repair, happy days

Well I didn't know that. I'll keep that in mind. But it looks like they are paying for my gearbox repair, happy days
Nice one.
Looks like a good month to make a claim against Audi..........:yahoo:

Do you think the whole emissions thing has got them rattled so they aren't worrying about trivial stuff like ours?

My bro just bought a pre reg new a4 se model 2.0 diesel. Supposed to get it on Tuesday this week. Turns out they won't release it until the emissions problem is sorted.
So they upgraded him to a brand new sline avant at no extra cost. So seems to be good news all round.

Hopefully you haven't made a written agreement to pay the 10%. Let them repair and then refuse to pay the 10%. I would expect the Used Audi Warranty to cover a catastropohic breakdown, after all main dealers are always harping on about how you are safer buying direct from an Audi dealer.

Hopefully you haven't made a written agreement to pay the 10%. Let them repair and then refuse to pay the 10%. I would expect the Used Audi Warranty to cover a catastropohic breakdown, after all main dealers are always harping on about how you are safer buying direct from an Audi dealer.
Hi Soot1.
No it was a verbal agreement.As for the Used Audi Warranty my car is 5 months outside of warranty..
Buying from a main dealer is the safest bet(for 12 months at least) but you do have to pay that bit more for the car..

Hi Soot1.
No it was a verbal agreement.As for the Used Audi Warranty my car is 5 months outside of warranty..
Buying from a main dealer is the safest bet(for 12 months at least) but you do have to pay that bit more for the car..

Ah, see what you mean, so the 10% is a good deal then. Hope you get back up & running soon.

Reactions: pburv
Hi all.
It,s been a while. My local Audi dealer (The Point Llandudno) got back to me today with some very welcome news.....................
Audi Uk have offered a 90% contribution to the repairs to my engine totaling over £3500.
From what I gather they are not replacing the whole engine but are doing a complete engine rebuild.(will find out exactly what is being done tomorrow).As you can imagine I am very relieved:footy:It has restored my faith in Audi (well done Audi Uk:friends:)
While it,s in the workshop I have asked them to give the Dsg a service and also the Haldex.
Will it need a new clutch?(while the engine is out).
Any advise is appreciated Thanks Paul:yahoo:

Great news. I bet you were very relieved.

One of the reasons I will always use main dealers for servicing in case something major goes wrong. Well done for being patient.

Reactions: pburv
Great news. I bet you were very relieved.

One of the reasons I will always use main dealers for servicing in case something major goes wrong. Well done for being patient.
Cheers Mate.
Yes I am well relieved.You do pay over the odds when buying second hand from main dealers but you do have peace of mind if anything goes wrong in the first 12 months.
As for my problem it was outside the 12 months warranty and still Audi Uk came through.
Once again Thanks Audi Uk:friends:

Hi all.
It,s been a while. My local Audi dealer (The Point Llandudno) got back to me today with some very welcome news.....................
Audi Uk have offered a 90% contribution to the repairs to my engine totaling over £3500.
From what I gather they are not replacing the whole engine but are doing a complete engine rebuild.(will find out exactly what is being done tomorrow).As you can imagine I am very relieved:footy:It has restored my faith in Audi (well done Audi Uk:friends:)
While it,s in the workshop I have asked them to give the Dsg a service and also the Haldex.
Will it need a new clutch?(while the engine is out).
Any advise is appreciated Thanks Paul:yahoo:

It won't need a new clutch mate unless it was slipping/problematic before?
I would still firmly push them for a full 100% contribution! It's a failure that is very common and requires the updated tensioner.
If your willing to pay for extra work outside of the repair they should take that in favour and the extra 10% you could get could cover it...

I would still firmly push them for a full 100% contribution! It's a failure that is very common and requires the updated tensioner.
If your willing to pay for extra work outside of the repair they should take that in favour and the extra 10% you could get could cover it...
Is there a code for this common fault or even an updated part number that I can go to audi with so I can get mine replaced as I get a noisy tock tock noise on a cold morning for about 8-10 seconds.

Thanks Mike J.
Yes I am having extra work being done dsg and haldex oils and filters.
I will give it a go and see what they have to say.
I have been told I will need to contribute around £360 for the new engine,which in the scheme of things isn't too bad.
ps.
Not sure if I mentioned in earlier posts Audi are not repairing my engine they are replacing it with a new one..

Last edited:
Is there a code for this common fault or even an updated part number that I can go to audi with so I can get mine replaced as I get a noisy tock tock noise on a cold morning for about 8-10 seconds.
Sounds to me that you need to get it looked at.
If you search on youtube for Audi Tsi chain fault you will find a few vids on what part fails and part numbers..

They have it for another week while I'm away so I've just phoned them to inspect and if it needs doing just to it. If they inspect it now and it does go pop later at least I'll have some come back.

They have it for another week while I'm away so I've just phoned them to inspect and if it needs doing just to it. If they inspect it now and it does go pop later at least I'll have some come back.
Piece of mind better safe than sorry.

Reactions: mx_rab
Chains already faulted. Common pattern on Audi's hence I will certainly be buying a Nissan next... GTR tho...

Chains already faulted. Common pattern on Audi's hence I will certainly be buying a Nissan next... GTR tho...
Will be picking my car up sometime today?
Hopefully the cam chain tension will last:huh:

Will be picking my car up sometime today?
Hopefully the cam chain tension will last:huh:
Well......My car is back:racer:
Just picked it up from the dealers, I,m happt to say it,s sweet as a nut...
So I will be taking it smoothly for a few miles.
They told me it might use up some oil for the first 1000 miles or so as the engine beds in. It comes with 2 years warranty,not sure how many miles(forgot to ask:blink:) anyway I don,t do many miles a year about 5000+ miles..
Happy Days..Thanks for all the replies and advice guys.
This is a cracking forum:friends:

Reactions: pluves1 and voorhees
Well......My car is back:racer:
Just picked it up from the dealers, I,m happt to say it,s sweet as a nut...
So I will be taking it smoothly for a few miles.
They told me it might use up some oil for the first 1000 miles or so as the engine beds in. It comes with 2 years warranty,not sure how many miles(forgot to ask:blink:) anyway I don,t do many miles a year about 5000+ miles..
Happy Days..Thanks for all the replies and advice guys.
This is a cracking forum:friends:
Hi all.
Thought this would have been the last post on this topic..............WRONG!!!
The new engine has only covered 236 miles and guess what?
Yep.Took it to work on Friday morning all normal and good until I wanted to move my car to a different parking space .So I tried starting it up and it just kept cranking over(my heart just sank at this moment) exact same symptoms when the old engine went 'pop'
The 'epc' and engine light came on.I got the garage across from my workplace to check it with vcds and it came up with fault code p130A cyl. disable and cyl.1 missfire...Phoned My local Audi dealer who fitted the new engine and now it,s with them to sort out:crying:
They will let me know sometime Monday as to what is wrong...
Think it,s time to sell:shrug:

Are you sure they got a new engine and not just a rebuilt one for you ?

Are you sure they got a new engine and not just a rebuilt one for you ?
Hi Pinky1959.
Yes it is a new engine they have fitted,but I,m not sure if all the other bits coil packs etc are from my old engine?
I was under the impression it was a complete new engine....

Hi Pinky1959.
Yes it is a new engine they have fitted,but I,m not sure if all the other bits coil packs etc are from my old engine?
I was under the impression it was a complete new engine....
Hi all.
Will be picking my car up tomorrow.They told me the fault was the injector on cylinder 1 had stuck open..
It is being replaced free of charge and also another engine oil change due to petrol contamination.They told me when they supply the engine under warranty they only supply block and head things like plugs coil packs and injectors come off the old engine..
So the decision now is do I get rid or keep???

With a new engine and 2 yr warranty, I would definitely keep it. Buy another and the same or other problems may hit you as you are the unlucky one.

With a new engine and 2 yr warranty, I would definitely keep it. Buy another and the same or other problems may hit you as you are the unlucky one.
Ha Ha .
It feels like that sometimes.(it always happens to me:crying:).
As for keeping the car I'm not sure if I want to keep it or not?
I quite like the new shape A3's but they don,t do a 2.0 ltr petrol in the S line version only in S3 trim which is out of my price range..:sadlike:
So I have been looking at Mk7 Golf Gti's :wtf:(sorry Audi lovers)

If it's now running great then definitely keep it mate!! As much as I now want and have looked at GTRs I'm hanging onto this for a while longer especially with the 2 yrs parts warranty and 4 yrs free servicing...

If it's now running great then definitely keep it mate!! As much as I now want and have looked at GTRs I'm hanging onto this for a while longer especially with the 2 yrs parts warranty and 4 yrs free servicing...
Cheers Mike J.
I will have to see how it goes, but I will have this horrible feeling of having a "Friday Afternoon " built car and waiting for the next thing to go wrong..The main one being the dsg box..

Hi everyone,

Reading through this with interest as the timing chain on my 2008 (58plate) A3 2.0Tfsi has just gone. It's only done 57k miles and serviced regularly by Audi approved workshop, always with genuine Audi parts. Has anyone heard of this before? 57k seems very early for a timing chain to fail?

For information, the car had been sitting in my garage for 2 months whilst I was away, my dad gave it a run after about 4 weeks and topped up the oil has he thought it was low. It started and ran fine with me on Monday, then when I went to drive it again on Wednesday evening it went. Could either the topped up oil, or sitting for 2 months idle be a contributing factor?

Do you think Audi be as supportive as in the above case in this?

I'd appreciate any advice with this,
Jonathan.

Hi everyone,

Reading through this with interest as the timing chain on my 2008 (58plate) A3 2.0Tfsi has just gone. It's only done 57k miles and serviced regularly by Audi approved workshop, always with genuine Audi parts. Has anyone heard of this before? 57k seems very early for a timing chain to fail?

For information, the car had been sitting in my garage for 2 months whilst I was away, my dad gave it a run after about 4 weeks and topped up the oil has he thought it was low. It started and ran fine with me on Monday, then when I went to drive it again on Wednesday evening it went. Could either the topped up oil, or sitting for 2 months idle be a contributing factor?

Do you think Audi be as supportive as in the above case in this?

I'd appreciate any advice with this,
Jonathan.
Hi jonathan.
I,m sorry to hear you have had the same troubles as I have.
There seem to be certain deciding factors Audi look for when deciding on any kind of goodwill gestures.
The main ones being:
did you buy car from main dealer
have you had it serviced at main dealer
has it been serviced at the right intervals
what mileage does the car have
is the part that has failed a non serviceable part
All the above are only what I think helped in my case.
My local Audi dealer were very helpful and dealt with Audi UK on my behalf.
I would like to point out that they did not sell me the car in the first place.It was purchased from another main dealer(I will never buy a car from them again:box:)
Give Audi Uk a call and tell them the issues you have and ask if they are willing to help(you have nothing to lose)
Good luck mate and let us all know how you get on.
Sorry about the long rant:blahblah1: