How low can I go with tyre pressures?

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
Due to the far from ideal road conditions, I am compelled to reduce the recommended tyre pressures on my car so make the ride more bearable over bumps and surface irregularities.

For your information I am currently riding on the standard 18 inch rims and wanted to know by how many psi can I reduce the pressure.

I wouldn't go under 30psi. I generally run mine at 33psi all round. Gives me even tyre wear and ride is fine on 17s with sport suspension.

I wouldn't go under 30psi. I generally run mine at 33psi all round. Gives me even tyre wear and ride is fine on 17s with sport suspension.

I like 33 psi since 30 might be a little low and bad for potholes correct?

Too low and you risk uneven tread wear. The outsides will wear and the Middle won't. I've always ran my cars, no matter what size wheels at 33psi and never had any issues.

Reactions: drummerdimitri
Too low = reduced grip = dangerous = very uncomfortable!

inflation.jpg

Reactions: drummerdimitri
The only sensible answer is to stick to recommended pressures.

They are set by Audi primarily for safety based on many different parameters such as extremes of ambient temperature, load, road condition, speed, cornering forces, braking efficiency etc.

I'm sure for some drivers and conditions, tyres can safely be run at 10% lower pressure, but not for others. I have no idea where I fit into that.

Reactions: cemerson and steeve
I always run mine at 30 and tyres look ok.i may up that to 30.....going off from what yous have said now lol

But surely what tyres you have on will matter aswell ?

Wouldn't go this low though drums

NNrFq

Last edited:
Reactions: SW14NY'S and Simon L
Maybe try driving an M Sport suspended BMW on runflat tyres for a week and then reviewing what's bearable :whistle2:

In all seriousness DD, if the roads are as bad as you make out I reckon you picked the wrong motor.....................you'd be better off with one of these................. ;)

Piazzaga-donkey.jpg

Reactions: Wondering Soul, Daveotto, steeve and 1 other person
I'll echo what others have said, stick to the manufacturers recommendations. You could go down a wheel size and up on aspect ratio.

But under or over inflated tyres are not only illegal but will negatively affect, grip, heat build up, safety, steering response, ride quality, tyre wear etc etc.

You'll also increase the risk of wheel damage too.

Reactions: Simon L