I have a serious question,correct me if i am wrong

oldcar

Reaction score
Guys, just had a thought-a hyperthorical question...with 8lS3 charge pipe being hot after compressed from the turbo before entering the intercooler. What if you cool the charge pipe with water first THEN go to the intercooler. Would this be feasible ? since the rubber adaptor is acting a insulator between the turbo compressor and charge pipe, I do not see any chance of being crack the turbo housing by spraying water on the charge pipe. Question1) Of charge tube is cooled, doe sit mean more air is compressed into intercooler?

I don't think you'd be able to cool the charge pipe enough to make any difference, you'd be better off running meth. Unless you could sleeve it and pump Co2 all over it for a short amount of time.......

Reactions: oldcar
I don't think you'd be able to cool the charge pipe enough to make any difference, you'd be better off running meth. Unless you could sleeve it and pump Co2 all over it for a short amount of time.......
that's clever man, I was imagine spray water and all steamed up from the bonnet and people think your car got a blown radiator....lol...

Haha I have my moments, I'm sure there are complications with that idea. You see race teams at Santa pod spraying CO2 on the intercooler before going down the track to keep everything cool

All you need is this

d8b835f2f9160a8cd9cadc5d51dbb914.jpg

Browning M1917 with water cooled barrel. Strip it and adapt to your charge pipe

Or,,,,

Just fit WMI, problem solved

Haha you attach that to your car, there won't be a need to go fast, no one will want to race you!!

It'd be largely pointless seeing as a decent intercooler and WMI set up will do a good job of keeping a lid on AIT's and your money would be much better off being spent there...

however if you really did want to cool the air before it hits the IC the best way of doing that would probably be using a charge cooler like the ones here:
http://www.chargecooler.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=67

Last edited:
What on earth has happened to ASN

Reactions: Gops
thanks you guys are fantastic....water cooled....heeee,,and charge cooler....good idea.....

Never cool a charge before the intercooler. If the charge is already cooler than ambient, the intercooler will actually warm it up again.

Reactions: oldcar and <tuffty/>
You'd have to insulated it though surely, the heat from the engine bay would be enough to heat the water, even with a small rad? Otherwise you could buy a roll of 10mm copper and coil it along the length of the charge pipe, might be cheaper and easily removable and no risk of a leak causing engine failure.

Never cool a charge before the intercooler. If the charge is already cooler than ambient, the intercooler will actually warm it up again.

If that was the case, would that suggest that with cooling the charge pipe, you could do away with the intercooler and have a straight pipe?

I'm actually glad this is the case cos it was obviously a ridiculous idea in the first place!

If that was the case, would that suggest that with cooling the charge pipe, you could do away with the intercooler and have a straight pipe?

A charge cooler is an adequate substitute for an intercooler... Some would even argue they are more efficient

Its just another form of intercooling then so arguably yes but largely pointless as a decent intercooler is typically all you need... that and WMI of course..

Biggest issues will be finding something as efficient as an air to air intercooler that actually fits in the engine bay...

Decent intercoolers works, topped off with WMI that can actually bring IAT's below ambient and you have an effective and easy to fit solution... anything else will require some engineering for little to no gain

<tuffty/>

...A charge cooler is an adequate substitute for an intercooler... Some would even argue they are more efficient

Yes and no... depends on power level and boost etc... you would need a much larger (and complicated) charge cooler setup to be as effective as a decent FMIC... then there is the physical constraints of fitting the setup...

<tuffty/>

the efficiency of an intercooler is related to the Temperature difference (delta) between charge temp and ambient temp.. Less of a delta less efficient heat exchange.. Thats the theory I've read on tinternet

Also read some folks like to spray meth pre turbo too and claim gains..

Charge temps typical on turbo outlet at example 1.6bar can be 150'c for example

A charge cooler is an adequate substitute for an intercooler... Some would even argue they are more efficient
SHC of water being something like x4 of air, water can indeed better absorb more heat than air, however its also x4 slower to give it back out again
with a lower delta temp to exchange back to ambient.
You could of course add additional cooling, like ice water in resevoir, peltier device etc so long as the actual heat exchanger is efficient enough to pull the heat out of the charge air temp.

I "may" have used ice in my previous charge cooler setup in badgerwagen and lupo back in the day :p

Both run FMIC now.. ;)

In an ideal world I suppose you'd use dry ice, or better still liquid nitrogen! But far to dangerous! And probably illegal ha. I think after everything said, we can happily say a big FMIC and meth is the way forward

Problem with liquid-cooling your intake isn't efficiency, it's the fact that you need to cool the liquid back down afterwards, so you need another rad...

Problem with liquid-cooling your intake isn't efficiency, it's the fact that you need to cool the liquid back down afterwards, so you need another rad...
yes, and it would have to be pretty large surface area (not thick tho) so it can exchange back to ambient its warm water.. but with the temp delta being small, the thing needs to be pretty large to heat exchange the low temp difference in my experience of running charge coolers.

Packaging for CC can be a lot more compact when space is a severe issue tho..

What about aquamist water injection system, popular with the Cossie boys, with proven gains.

You'd have to insulated it though surely, the heat from the engine bay would be enough to heat the water, even with a small rad? Otherwise you could buy a roll of 10mm copper and coil it along the length of the charge pipe, might be cheaper and easily removable and no risk of a leak causing engine failure.
copper coils sounds good...like computer cpu cooling...