Audi A3 1.8t driving me insane!

Knarry

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I tried my best to not post a thread about the oil light but I have exhausted the info I could find on the net and hoping someone here can now point me in a direction.
I purchased a 1999 1.8t quattro A3 about a month ago and it came with that dreaded flashing oil light on the dash, Its the big oil can symbol in the center accompanied by 3 beeps (the whole display is red) The beeping only comes on when the car is up to temp and i have been driving for a while so i didn't think it would be a wiring fault.
I ran the car on vag-com and got the fault 00562 for oil level/temp sensor. I started by running a flush through the engine and replacing the oil and filter and fitting a new oil level/temp sensor. This did not cure the problem, so i ordered and fitted a new oil pressure sensor which also did not cure the fault. After that I decided I would take my sump off and check it out inside to see if the pick up was blocked up. the sump itself is relatively new, the previous owner caught it on a rock apparently and had it all replaced so the inside was sludge free and the pick up wasn't too bad either. i changed the oil pump while i was in there for good measure and stuck in some new oil this time going for 5w40. Took the car for a drive but after a little while the damn beeps returned... Any advice would be grand as I'm out of ideas :help:

Thanks in advance

Oil pressure test, find garage that can do it. Usually oil pressure drops as the car warms up, and could be you have blockage somewhere.

ok awesome cheers. Is it basically going to be a garage job now?

not necessary. If oil pressure is good you got to look somewhere else. If garage is expensive to do oil pressure test then just by gauge for it. It is useful for later on.

ok cheers for your help, I had been thinking about pressure testing and i think i will buy one. will see what that leads to i guess. cheers again

ok an update guys.
haven't picked up an oil pressure tester yet.. that's on for tomorrow but i had a new rocker cover gasket so i took my rocker off and it was caked inside with burnt horrible black oil sludge. the cams all looked good and i checked around the cams and all the oil lines etc seemed ok. cleaned the rocker up and refitted and the car was ok for a while but the beep finally returned and i checked on vagcom and it came up with the oil level/temp fault again but now it says; static - short circuit to earth???

Also the car is showing the yellow sensor warning on the dash now once it is warm

If the head is full of burnt oil deposits, there's a fair chance these are clogging up the rest of the engine too. The end being clear doesn't mean it's clear through and through. You could try another engine flush, especially now that you've cleaned a lot of stuff by hand. Might be worth checking the oil pickup pipe again too, bits of sludge may have come loose from you cleaning it, which can then clog up the pipe.

ok cheers will do, i'll see how that gets on

I had this issue wen I first bought my 2000 1.8 Quattro, when the warning light comes on, open the bonnet and shut it again, if the warning light then goes out it would point to the bonnet switch, that's was the case of mine anyhow.

ok i'll try that tomorrow, thanks

I had this issue wen I first bought my 2000 1.8 Quattro, when the warning light comes on, open the bonnet and shut it again, if the warning light then goes out it would point to the bonnet switch, that's was the case of mine anyhow.

4 days ago I posted this lol

Ah sorry bud completely missed that! anyways I tried the bonnet catch trick and it made no difference.. :frown:

Today I tried pressure testing it and it had about 50 psi cold but went down to about 10 when hot. I ran a flush through the engine and drained it after. checked the oil, it all seemed ok, almost no metal flakes or crap since I last changed it when changing the oil pump.
took for a test drive and after a while the light re-appeared! flashing red oil can ******!! :sob:

i stuck it on vagcom again and still get the oil level sensor fault saying static. short to ground.
The engine still runs fine, no ticks, no bangs, it still pulls like a train and since I had it i have probably done nearly 2k and not missed a beat.

Shouldnt your oil pressure be 20psi when car is hot?

yeah at least, tho I dont know how much I trust my ebay pressure guage. Going to have another go at it now its been flushed again.