Dom's 2007 Audi S3 8P

For some reason only expletives are entering my head right now. Just..... wow!

Thanks for keeping us posted! I can't wait to see this rip up the road now :)

Haha, I hope that's a good thing, thank you very much :)

Reactions: leshkin
Haha, I hope that's a good thing, thank you very much :)
Definitely only good ones! Threads like this make me want to think about going down the hybrid route. One day maybe, when I grow up :)

Reactions: grchmason and Dom Leydon
Jesus Alex, that thing could eat small children. Are you also running a JP Built engine?

LOL.

No.....it was built in stages,mostly by Steve at AMDTuning.

First build was the bottom end,with PEC rods and Wossner pistons plus Mahle bearing shells.
Next was the top end,with Ferrea valves and guides,plus a Boulekos 8 injector manifold.
Then the original ATP turbo kit went,to be replaced by a Nortech exhaust manifold and downpipe plus that turbo above.

That bit was done at Nortech,and the Syvecs ECU plus extra injectors and programming were done at Storm Developments,with some input from Syvecs as well.

Turbo's here..

I went for a Hybrid K04, and not the obvious choice of the TTE420. Ross who has helped carry out the build with me contacted his Turbo builder (Craig, now of TDI Turbo's) and eventually we went for this spec;
Re-Profiled Compressor Housing
51.00mm Inducer - 62.00mm Exducer & Blade Performance Design 44lbs/min (The largest wheel that we can squeeze reliably into the cover!)
Modified Back Plate
360 Degree Motorsport Thrust Bearing assembly
Bespoke K04 Turbine Wheel with large K16 Trim Inducer & Exducer - Cut Back Blades
Step Gap Performance Turbine Seal
Re-Profiled Turbine Housing to suit larger Trim Turbine wheel
Standard Actuator

Craig decided against using the .71, his preference as the turbo builder to meet my spec of almost Nil lag, but good performance, so I will lose the 4-5bhp but I won't have the extra 1000rpm delay spooling, in which time I'm sure I can be round the drive thru with my double cheese and coffee.

I know a similar turbo with a smaller inducer made 420bhp in South Africa at 2500ft altitude, doing the rough calculations in England at sea level with the same spec engine it could break 448bhp, and with the right mods to match, surpass it. I think from the comments on TFSI owners on facebook, Simon @ TTE doesn't think it'll be capable of coming close to his 420 product. He did ask for an update of when its mapped though.

Engine will be back in tomorrow and run in at some point this week. The next stage to go for is mapping..

Comments and criticism welcome as always.

Reactions: S., GGG_666, RedDejavu and 1 other person
That looks like a good spec overall,and a good choice re:A/r which should give good spool but as you know,limit top end a little.

Given that we don't drive around at full chat all the time,that makes a lot of sense.
I went for something different to allow more top end(with an A/r of 0.82) but preserving spool etc with a lot of Owen Developments extras.

Don't get too consumed with absolute figures,as driveability is the best overall thing to aim for,and if it were to come up a little short against the TTE,I think that would still be an excellent result,as that's the benchmark product right now.

All the best for mapping it.

Reactions: Dom Leydon
Drivability is everything - pub numbers are great... Down the pub. In the real world, spool is king unless you're on a drag strip or motorway. My friends 300hp Peugeot 106 used to demolish my 400+hp 106 around town or on short stretches of dual carrageway. I'm looking forward to seeing this setup working.

These sort of builds are incredible, proper thought and engineering going into it, not just throwing bolt on parts at it like I do.:relaxed: Real respect to everyone who takes this route and great to see people still trying new things. Keep going will be watching with great anticipation...

Nice one mate I think TTE420 is a great product but yet it's become a bit too expensive so alternatives are always welcome to bring more choicec to the table. I managed to get myslef Loba Lo4xx for nearly half the tte420 price, cant wait to see what sort of power delivery I can get out of it.

Reactions: S. and Dom Leydon
That looks like a good spec overall,and a good choice re:A/r which should give good spool but as you know,limit top end a little.

Given that we don't drive around at full chat all the time,that makes a lot of sense.
I went for something different to allow more top end(with an A/r of 0.82) but preserving spool etc with a lot of Owen Developments extras.

Don't get too consumed with absolute figures,as driveability is the best overall thing to aim for,and if it were to come up a little short against the TTE,I think that would still be an excellent result,as that's the benchmark product right now.

All the best for mapping it.

Thanks Alex, as I will keep saying, your setup is a step above any other car i've seen on here so far, and I dread to think how much it has cost. If I had the money, I would follow your route with the bigger Turbo's etc. One thing I won't accept is coming up short against the TTE420, in reality, i've spent a third to half of what the TTE420 costs but that's my minimum target. Won't accept anything shorter despite the price i've paid.

Drivability is everything - pub numbers are great... Down the pub. In the real world, spool is king unless you're on a drag strip or motorway. My friends 300hp Peugeot 106 used to demolish my 400+hp 106 around town or on short stretches of dual carrageway. I'm looking forward to seeing this setup working.

Got some good and bad news for you sunshine...

These sort of builds are incredible, proper thought and engineering going into it, not just throwing bolt on parts at it like I do.:relaxed: Real respect to everyone who takes this route and great to see people still trying new things. Keep going will be watching with great anticipation...

It still is a bolt on build in my opinion, so its not different to yours or anyone elses in reality. Maybe i'm wrong, but thank you, its nice to get compliments on this rebuild :)

Nice one mate I think TTE420 is a great product but yet it's become a bit too expensive so alternatives are always welcome to bring more choicec to the table. I managed to get myslef Loba Lo4xx for nearly half the tte420 price, cant wait to see what sort of power delivery I can get out of it.

As I said above, i've spent a fraction of what the TTE costs. I hope I can match and beat the power output, of course I would need to consider external upgrades other than the turbo, i.e. the manifold. That's a question for a later date though.

I am oblivious to anything in the VAG world, so what is the Loba Lo4xx? You've taught me something new with the alternatives out there. I'll research that tonight!

The whole point of this post was to update that the car starts and runs, and didn't implode or seize on first start up.. Phew!

Reactions: S3Alex
Well, I haven't popped back on here for a while. It all has gone well so far, the car is back together, and just ticked over its 1000 mile running in period.

TTS Roadsport did a brilliant job on fitting the engine, Shaun's work was top class, kept me informed and up to date and took a few good snaps along the way. I had a little scare when JP phoned me at work and said he was standing next to my car at TTS, my heart sank when he said there was a problem. JP was brilliant and fixed it within hours, and without any charge, that's why JP has got the reputation he has, every customer is always 110% happy.

So here's a few pics from the build as it went..

Wagner Cooler

Sach's Clutch and DMF fitted

The 'slated and criticised' Turbo..

Loba HPFP

And back in..

I put the RS4 FPRV in to the car, stupidly. Anyway, I read up and it seems I went wrong, and the RS4 Valve needed to come out and the 155bar FPRV needed to go in! To finish off the spending I've also bought a DW LPFP from AKS Tuning.

It hasn't been all good though, its been a headache tbh. In the time of the running in period I've found myself questioning why do I want to chase the 430bhp mark? I use the car to go gym, tesco and see a couple of friends, and the amount of money I've piled into it over the past year. I sat there doing 30mph with a clear road ahead, knowing i've got a roaring beast under my foot but couldn't be bothered to nail it. Hmm. I eventually found myself at Audi looking at a new S3/RS3, even the TTRS but then I realised i'm not a hairdresser.

To top off that, someone had a go at stealing the S3, in daylight on my driveway the side window was put in. I thought the windscreen was just put in for good measure, the Autoglass guy pointed out the windscreen was impacted from the inside (his opinion anyway). Got me thinking if a hammer was used, did the swing go through the passenger window and smack the windscreen, who knows, maybe. Amazing at 3:50pm it was okay, I left my house to go to the shop, and when I got back at 4:05pm it was done in. If this is a target, i'd rather it be sold than get stolen.

Either way, sorted now with Audi Genuine glass, only the best despite the £££ expense.

It was only yesterday I clicked Nav on the RNSE to find the last time it was used..

Anyway, its mapping time next week, and its back to MRC and Doug to sprinkle his magic dust on it. Eventually it was decided the standard Actuator was too much of a risk to send it for mapping, TDI Turbos sent me one free of charge, it was black, and pretty bland. Ross and myself looked at the competition (TTE) and thought hmm, red looks good, but whats better? Yes Candy Pink is hard as nails. What sort of turbo with a candy pink actuator can match the 'best on the market',

Comments and criticism welcome as always. I will try and update again as soon as its mapped.

Brilliant build thread, top marks for sticking with it.

Nice update bro. Almost there!

Pink actuator > red actuator. Worth 10hp easily.

Nurburgring again in March mate. This time a whole lap!

Last edited:
Forgot to ever update this thread.

Its a pleasing end to the build however. Last month that £600 Turbo that raised a few eyebrows.... Yes that one.. Well, it smashed 420bhp.

15032851_10154689266765406_6308188567346777337_n.jpg

Great job done by R-Tech on the mapping side. Unbelievable in fact.

Its seen the Nurburgring a couple of times now, the car is an animal. Kind of bored now the projects done, I'm trying to find stupid bits and pieces to do.

Reactions: leshkin, S3Alex and HHS3
Great build thread mate!

It's a shame to see that the oil pickup pipe was the culprit for yet another engine failure, I got that and the cam chain tensioner both done several months ago as a precautionary measure after seeing so many fail on here.

I can't believe that some c*** also tried stealing your S3, hate seeing any car in that state let alone your own one, it would be one of the very few situations where I'd be capable of kicking someone's head in had I the opportunity.

Glad to see that everything got sorted in the end though. The new engine, turbo and custom map by R-Tech have all done great, enjoy!

Wow! is 600 price of thenew hybrid turbo or upgraded yours?
Nice job!!

Wow! is 600 price of thenew hybrid turbo or upgraded yours?
Nice job!!

Its a refurb unit, I presumed the old K04 was knackered. Still, £600. Compared to a TTE which I wouldn't spend the money out on.

Great build thread mate!

It's a shame to see that the oil pickup pipe was the culprit for yet another engine failure, I got that and the cam chain tensioner both done several months ago as a precautionary measure after seeing so many fail on here.

I can't believe that some c*** also tried stealing your S3, hate seeing any car in that state let alone your own one, it would be one of the very few situations where I'd be capable of kicking someone's head in had I the opportunity.

Glad to see that everything got sorted in the end though. The new engine, turbo and custom map by R-Tech have all done great, enjoy!

Luckily I am a great believer in '**** happens' haha.

'Enjoy' Hmm, I don't think I've drove this car more than 100 miles since its map. Its a driveway ornament at the moment. Such a powerful and comfortable beast... Think I should sell up.

Reactions: HHS3 and S.