Boost Advice

imz

Reaction score
In need of help please I have an A4 B7 2.0tdi with 110k blb engine.

I have been lacking power for a while almost like there's no turbo. I had an over boost fault so took it in garage and had the turbo stripped and cleaned but wasn't how it should be still.

2 weeks ago I took the egr valve and throttle body/ manifold flap off and cleaned them but no better.

Yesterday I cleaned egr, throttle body and intake manifold off and cleaned, it is better but still not how it was.

The car still seems 2 accelerate poor and when the gas pedal is pressed it feels like the car is struggling. I noticed yesterday the plastic air pipe at the top of the engine on the drivers side has a hole in it as one of the clips is broken, is this air intake and would it cause power loss?

Any other ideas what it could be? At this moment in time I have no other fault codes showing.

Thanks

1 try disconnecting the maf and take the car for a drive see if it changes anything if it doesn't it could be the maf
2 check if you have a vacuum at the turbo actuator by removing the small pipe while the engine is running

Hi tried to disconnect the maf and the car was the same.

We tested vacuum and turbo actuator when mechanic stripped and cleaned the turbo.

Could the broken plastic air duct at top of engine cause my problem? Is this the air intake to the engine?

Thanks

That is just the airfilter ducting, it won't a affect the running off the engine as you descried, unless the air filter is yonks old and well clogged up. Hope the garage checked all the intercooler hoses as well, they need to be visually inspected as just looking at the clips and joints is not enough, the pipes need to be visually checked as a split could be in one of them, you can't see a split when they are on the car. I know, as it took 2 days of tinkering around on my A3 before I went and took all the hoses of and there it was, a split on the hose under the inlet manifold.

Thanks for the advice mate appreciate it. I'm a little confused now as I don't want to spend hundreds or thousands trying to figure this out and I have a 05 plate BMW 320d that my brother said I can swap the A4 for and I'm almost tempted to do it even though I love the Audi.

Hi tried to disconnect the maf and the car was the same.

We tested vacuum and turbo actuator when mechanic stripped and cleaned the turbo.

Could the broken plastic air duct at top of engine cause my problem? Is this the air intake to the engine?

Thanks

If you disconnected the maf and it ran no different the maf is most likely duff.

If you have access to vcds it is easy to confirm this by looking what the readings from it.

Ok sorry I completely misunderstood when markspark mentioned about the maf I thought if it runs better with maf disconnected then maf is duff but I got mixed up. I do have access to vcds please can you explain how I can test maf Jimmy?

Thanks

Unfortunately they didn't check the hoses so it could well be an issue Soot1 might get it smoke tested at some stage.

I'm not sure which measuring block it is on your engine as I've never worked on one, but if you start at 001 then work your way up you will know it when you see it.
If the requested and actual readings are well out, then its a goner.

Not had a chance to test the maf via vcds but I unplugged it and car was far smoother though not a massive amount of boost coming through. Would disconnecting it restrict the boost and is this an indication my maf is faulty/dirty?

Thanks

Jimmy? Soot1? Any advice is most appreciated guys.

Sorry mate I've not been on here for over a week as I've been on holiday.

When you have the maf disconnected the car will be down on power as it runs off basic values. If the car runs no worse with the maf unplugged it usually means that the maf is busted, or the wiring to it.

If you can't get it plugged in, do you have any friends that have a car with the same engine fitted?
If so ask them if you could just borrow their maf for an hour to put on yours. If it then runs fine you know it's the maf.

Hi Jimmy awesome thanks for advice.

I also bought some egr blanking plates with the small hole in the middle which supposedly don't cause dash lights as air still flows through. Any idea if I need to fit one or two and where exactly I fit it? Is it where the actual egr valve is?

I will try upload some pics to better explain where I mean.

Thanks

Yes you need to remove the 'S' pipe from the turbo to EGR, and replace the one that goes between the pipe and EGR.

It's a really simple job to do mate.

Hi Jimmy

Thanks again mate.

On the pic below is it where the arrow is pointing at the egr cooler that I fit the blanking plate?

Thanks
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433496041721879

Update, I fitted the blanking plate where it says egr cooler on the above diagram and now iv got a fault code, is that the wrong place to fit it?

Thanks

Is it a plate with a hole(restictor) or a complete plate? If it is just the restrictor then thats where i have put mine and no codes but if its an actual complete plate then you need to map out the egr altogether to stop the codes showing.

It does have a hole mate problem is I put my foot down and car doesn't go anywhere. I have cleared the fault so will see how it goes when I take Mrs shopping. Hopefully it'll work fine because I need 2 drop brother off to airport tomorrow and don't want to get him there late lol. Will update again this afternoon.

Thanks for replying mate appreciate it.

Sorry only just seen the post.

Double check you haven't accidentally pulled a vac pipe off something when you've been working. It's easily done, I've seen it a few times.

Thanks for responses guys really appreciate it. After clearing the fault the car drove beautifully for a few minutes but then I think It realised something is wrong so went back again. Could it be that the actual egr is faulty?

Jimmy I can't see any vac pipes hanging lose, any other tips?

If you removed any vac lines make sure you have put them back on in the correct place.
Other than that the only other thing is to put the standard gasket back in to see if it solves it.