Black A3 Styling Help

TarkMalbot

Reaction score
I have just took delivery of a pretty clean 2000 reg 1.9 TDI Sport. It looks pretty good and I like the retro old styling of it to be honest. I haven't seen it in the flesh yet but my dad sent me photos as its at his house.

I would like some advice on how to just make it a little cooler. My initial thoughts were silver indicator bulbs, clear side repeaters, wheel spacers, lowering springs and de-badging.

The only thing I am undecided about is if I should take the rings off the back and be really stealthy and if I should swap the front grill for a badge-less one. Having searched the forum I see that a lot of people like the rings on the back and the front. To save money I would consider spraying the front grill and even plasti-dipping the rear rings.

I don't know what offset the wheels are but know they are 17" with 115/45/17 tyres. What would be a good spacing going by the photos below and what drop? 20mm rear and 15mm front spacers and 40mm drop be about right?

Any other ideas would be welcome or just some common mods that go down well on these older models.

PS Quattro badges will be removed as its NOT a quattro!

45mm drop on springs if you're shocks are ok, compromise between looks and comfort, I would go with 20mm rear and 10mm front spacers to avoid any rubbing, make sure they are hub centric and have correct length bolts too, also some facelift headlights and tail lights will give it a lift, but as you say, some chrome bulbs will get rid of the fried egg look on your indicators, with clear side repeaters to make it a bit more modern if your on a budget, but it's all about personal taste, do what you like as its your car, maybe an S3 rear spoiler would help too.

What i would do:

blacksmoke remap + decat. a must for diesel.
rear wiper delete
A3 and 1.9 tdi/quattro badge off
dark side indicators
S3 spoiler.
facelift headlights.
Rear lights change to black.
5% window tint
Chrome mirrors
Chrome trim black bbs wheelsi
+ what was previously mentioned.

Fog lights i'm not really sure worth the pain unless you get the whole kit with wiring.
Audi logo i would keep as it fits with the chrome/black scheme we're creating here.
Chrome trim around the logo - up to you.

I thought about a remap but didn't know if it was worth bothering with on the 110 bhp VE engine. I will look into the blacksmoke remap and de-cat.

I will look into an S3 spoiler and do some research on the headlights and rear lights to see if I like the look of the more modern ones.

I am not wanting to spend much money on it so think I will just keep the current wheels for now.

I have got my eye on lowering springs and spacers so will take on board the drop and sizes mentioned.

Thanks.

clear / smoked side repeaters, de-badge and de-wiper,
a set of AP's at a sensible height; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AP-Coilov...500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a93e59f84

someone was selling a set of eibach springs on ebay the other day for cheap can't seem to find them now!

Facelift headlights.

6R polo aerial goes straight on; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261602988438?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Fresh plates; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321074183095?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

some OE wheels like 18" B5 RS4 multi's, S3 avus, BBS RC anni's

Map, EGR delete de-cat.

Mop & Detail.

Change the colour of the wheels, if you don't want to replace them, black is favourite with me, but it's personal choice, if you prepare them properly, you can get a good job with rattle cans, mask the tyres by painting them with washing gel (ie percil), then when you've sprayed them just wash off the gel, just don't get any on the rims, as the paint won't stick, gives a big change for little money.

Reactions: TarkMalbot
Yeah my dad did his Golf wheels Black and I was thinking the same. I have a set of black wheels and a set of white wheels for the Clio race car.

I was also thinking Pressed plates and have a private plate to go on too.

I will look into the Polo Aerial too.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Where do I get the MPPS software to use with the Blacksmoke Maps?

It should come with cable however.
For V13 cable http://www.freetuningfiles.com/free-tuning-software/mpps-v13-ecu-tuning-software/

This is how my slightly "tuned" ming blue looks like with dark theme.
Ypwc26Z.jpg

I like that it looks very good. Did you tint the rear lights or change them for dark ones?

I end up with hella facelift headlights as they are guaranteed good quality. Altho i was very keen on getting those fancy drl led healights :D
Painting the inside black was fairly easy and outcome was worth the effort.

The decision maker was tufftys mod to fit Bi-Xenon FX-R 3.0 projectors in it which improve night time driving even further.

If you keep the pre-facelift ones then these LED full beams were amazing. They lacked in distance but were truly 4000 lumens scattered everywhere.
WWeEYQo.jpg

Last edited:
Try some osram night breaker bulbs, they are very good, much crisper whiter light than standard.

Thanks for the information guys. I will certainly do some research.

I don't think I dislike the original headlights enough to justifY changing them. They look very plain and smooth and I like that. I will just upgrade the lamps. I assume they are H1 and H4.

I have also decided to get a set of 15mm wheel spacers. I will try them on the front and see if they are ok. If they are I will get some 20mm for the rear. If 15mm is too much for the front I will put them on the back and get 10mm for the front.

Hopefully lowering springs will be easy enough to fit myself with a set of spring compressors and I will go for 40mm.