1.9 tdi rear brake disc removal

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
The Shed came with new rear discs. When I looked at them I have never seen discs like these before. They have a piece inside which to me looks like where the bearing is to be pressed into or onto.

Discs I've done in the past just usually have flat internal face that butts up to the hub.

Is there a certain way to change these discs? The car a 1997 model.
Tried googling and audi world tech but they appear to have the flush internal faces.

On a FWD models the the rear disc are a bit of a pain as the inner race of the bearing is pressed in either side. Another option is to put the disc in the oven and the bearing in the freezer and then they just about drop in (done that a few times before I got a press). You also need to press the ABS rotor on the disc or put the ABS rotor in the oven before fitting and again it just drops on... Also the bolts holding the caliper mount are a bit of a pain you need an 8mm allen key, and they are easy rounded.

Here is an exploded view of the setup..
Capture

Reactions: S4_dan

This is what you're gonna be greeted by when you remove the disc,the bolt holding the carrier will most certainly round out and they are m8x1.25 thread can't tell you the depth of the top of my head,the rear bearing presses in the front just drops in and I held in place with a nut and split pin.

Just buy new ones, cost is about £30 for the pair.

euro always list 2 bearing, the expensive & cheap one. I'm just replacing my rear discs & pads at the moment and I've purchased the FAG ones @ £18.48 each

Strange I only see one Part No.: 628440500

yeh, but theres another FAG one listed for 16quid which is what hes talking about!

Correct.

Correct.

Why is it always difficult to order through these guys. Lol.

Out in the sticks it's easier to order off ECP and have it delivered for less than a pint of lager. If I went to local York Audi, it'd cost me about 2, maybe 3 pints of lager worth in fuel, plus an actual pint of Lager in the pub as I pass it on the way home! :)

Oddly enough, if you look at the cross linked part numbers, the part FAG have listed as fitting the late model A4's according to Audi fits all B5's. The part FAG list for early A4's is linked on Audis system to the older Audi 100/80 models.

So in turn, that should make the FAG Part No.: 628440500 on ECP the correct one, like B5NUT has ordered?

Just cross referenced the sizes from your links to those on ECP. The above ECP part number appears to be the correct one.

Why would ECP list the smaller, older bearing I wonder for my reg but not B5NUT's? Hmmmm

Many thank Kev, yet again, amazing help.