Standard halogen lights question?

Phizix

Reaction score
hi all - tried to search but couldn't find any answers but I have ordered an a3 1.4 tfsi (2015 model) with standard halogen headlights,

Does anyone have any info regarding the Daylight Running lights and rear lights on these? My car will be a standard SE model and just wondered what lights come standard front and back with halogen bulbs? Pics and info would be greatly appreciated!

2436x1552_A3_Saloon_rear.jpg

These are the halogen rear lights

Audi-A3-Sedan-Review-halogen-headlight-1024x677.jpg

These are the halogen front headlights with the DRL turned on

Reactions: Phizix
Legend cheers! They look pretty good imo!

I hate them in the daylight as they age the car in my opinion. I've shelled out for the Xenons as I know everytime I got in the car I would regret it!

The vast majority of A3s I see in London are either SE or Sport specs with the standard halogens and I don't think they look bad at all. The light thrown out by them is perfectly fine but (from my experience having an A3 SE as a courtesy car) you do need to use the headlight adjuster regularly to make sure you get a decent projection of light on the motorway etc.

One thing I have noticed with the halogens is that the DRL on each side does not dim when you indicate as it does in the Mk7 Golf (or on the A3 with Xenons / LEDs). Maybe it can be enabled in VCDS.

pretty sure I saw a Passat, it was with halogens that turn off when you indicate as I cant remember seeing anything halogen that did that up till now

Is there an option to turn halogen drl on & off?

European Directive 76/656/EEC mandates that all new vehicles after Jan 2012 must have DRL's illuminate when the ignition is switched on.

But I can turn them off.....?

Veeeight is there anything you don't know?!

Since 2012 on any new model, you cannot switch off the DRLs if the engine is running.

The DRLs must, by law come on with the engine running, or ignition on.

If you want to change this (and potentially break the law, fail MoT in 3 years etc.) then there is a VCDS mod that will enable manual switching on/off of DRLs.

But I can turn them off.....?

Nope, the law says they must be on and the manufacturer isn't allowed to let you turn them off.

You can do it with VCDS but not via any standard option in the car.

Whilst Xenons and LEDs do look better, I see far more SE & Sport models without them than I do cars with and they look perfectly fine tbh.

I had a 61 plate Skoda that had drl,s with a switch under the steering wheel to turn them on or off but this was just registered before 2012 obviously lol

I cannot understand why anyone would want to turn DRLs off. They are fitted for the safety of pedestrians and other road users. Why on earth switch them off.

Reactions: JohnM100, Pulp84 and jetron
You've not lived until you've taken out a pedestrian or two.

Reactions: grainqey and Zache
As PilotAudi would say, "Dogging" ;)

Reactions: grainqey, JohnM100, elpaulio and 2 others
You can switch them off, my old 62 plate a3 would let me switch them from the Drl position to completely off

Not in a 8V A3.

*note I said in post #12 new *models* from 2012, not *cars* from 2012

Last edited:
It's not about when the car itself was sold, it's about when the model was type approved. The old A3 8P dates from 2003 and isn't affected by the new rules, the new 8V is and thus the DRLs can't be turned off.

Sometimes people want the engine on while stationary without any lights on ,shame no more

Reactions: grainqey
I just set it to off only when the switch its in 0 position and handbrake is on.
Under normal circunstances its hard to find it for somebody else.
Via VCDS