Intermittent ESP light

Paul10

Reaction score
Hi all - I have recently had my ESP light come on on the dash which at the moment goes off when you turn ignition off. There is no set pattern to when and how it comes on just does its own thing I guess. Have been told by garage that its the sensor inside the ABS pump and you can get a replacement via the expensive dealers or apparently get it repaired / modified by BBA-Reman. I understand they by pass the internal brake sensor and fit a new external one.

Does anyone know of this company or has anyone used it. Or is there another fix. It's a bit disconcerting driving around knowing the light could come on at any time. Was also told the ABS could also ultimately fail.

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2002 A3 1.8t

Scan for fault codes with vcds as this could help diagnosis..

For esp light to stay on it suggests a fault to do with one of the supporting systems for esp...

A scan should be the start point though

<tuffty/>

thanks tuffty - had it scanned at garage and code was brake pedal sensor i think which is inside the abs pump. At the moment car is still running fine with light on - just means no esp though, which is not great. Am waiting for reply from BBa reman just wondered if anyone on here had used them. Cheers

Rescan and get the actual code mate... use VCDS as there are codes that a lot of generic readers won't show properly

From what you are saying it sounds like the brake pressure sensor... this is located in the brake master cylinder not the ABS unit..

This is why its important to post VCDS scanned codes tbh...

<tuffty/>

Check the VCDS map in the VCDS section of ASN or get yourself a lead for around 8 quid and use VCDS lite to do it yourself... info is in the 'read before posting' thread in the FAQ's

<tuffty/>

hi - thanks for input. I have scanned the car using VCDS lite and it gives the following faults:
Address 01: Engine Labels: 06A-906-032-AUM.LBL
Controller: 06A 906 032 HJ
Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0002
Coding: 11500
Shop #: WSC 00050
VCID: 6DAD4AB73489
WAUZZZ8L42A057361 AUZ5Z0A9110058
4 Faults Found:
17545 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Add): System too Rich
P1137 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17704 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1296 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
18010 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
P1602 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
16955 - Brake Switch (F): Implausible Signal
P0571 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: None
Controller: 1C0 907 379 E
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0104
Coding: 0019970
Shop #: WSC 06435
VCID: 2C2B87B3CF13
1 Fault Found:
01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Any help on how to fix this would be really helpful.
Further update - seems I have no brake lights when the esp comes on. Have played around depressing the brake pedal and if I force it down slightly esp light comes on and no brake lights until i turn off ignition. I think it is the brake light switch - i have ordered one to try as its quite cheap. what do anyone think? Thanks in anticipation.

Found this on Ross site:
hi - just got this from the Rosstech site re fault:
01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201): Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms

• Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active

Possible Causes

• Brake Pedal Switch (F) faulty/jammed
  • Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201) faulty

Possible Solutions

• Check/Replace Brake Pedal Switch (F)
    • See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
  • Check Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)
    • See Measuring Value Blocks (MVB)
  • Check/Replace Brake Electronics Control Module (J104) and/or ABS Hydraulic Unit (N55)

Any advice would be helpful - i think its worth swopping out the brake pedal switch

thanks for replying - so you dont think it is the brake switch? Does this mean a replacement / repair of the abs pump controller?

You have an issue with the brakelight switch too.... pretty common for these to go

<tuffty/>