Door noise problem

J4MMYz

Reaction score
Just reviving a post I made a while back when I noticed a noise coming from my door...

Well, I went on a drive tonight and it was fairly wet outside, I hadn't noticed this noise in a long while but noticed it on every bump, it's like a loud sticky sound which would make me think it's the seals, I get it on both doors and I think the boot too.

I'm thinking of trying that gummy pledge or what ever it's called, but I want to know if it's actually a genuine problem or because the car is new? It was a windy night tonight so the wind noise was more noticeable but what got me thinking is there is a whistle on the motorway, it never does whistle so im guessing it's the windy night, but I always notice the general wind noise that does make me wonder if everything is normal. No idea, really can't be bothered with wasted time at the stealers about this either.

Thoughts? Is it just a new car thing and I should just stop worrying? I could try the pledge stuff though - don't know about the wind noise though, it's in my ear all the time at speed above 50, but it's a wooshing sound so I'd guess that's normal - but the whistling is concerning, but I'd put that down to the windy night... But yeah anyone's opinions would be great, if you have this too then clearly it's nothing

Let me guess.... Your car is a 3 door?

Common on 3 doors when it's wet. When I had my 3 door it did it every time the car was wet. Sounded like the door seals as you said. Take it back to your selling Audi dealer, they may have a solution for it

Reactions: mister.c.
I have a noise from my driver's too. It seems to be a cross between a rattle and a squeak. I called in to my dealer the other day and went out with one of the Master Tech's but, as usual happens, it would not make the noises. There is a particular road where I live that I can almost guarantee the noise will happen and we are going to make arrangements for the Tech to collect the car from my house, drive this particular road, and then take the car to the dealer to be fixed. As he said if they cannot make it happen it is difficult to know if they have cured it.

I'll order that gummy pledge stuff and see if it makes a difference.

Ermm, then why not add a new post in that thread rather than starting a new one on the same topic…….

I could not find the post, whats the problem with posting a new one? Am I going to get the thread police on me or something?

Ermm, then why not add a new post in that thread rather than starting a new one on the same topic…….

Whats the big deal? he is only asking a genuine question.. Sound like you woke up on the wrong side of bed today :laugh:

Nuts,

I cannot find the original post and I can't remember the name of the stuff...

Can anyone help? I thought it was called gummy pledge or something

I could not find the post, whats the problem with posting a new one? Am I going to get the thread police on me or something?
Am pretty surprised, given your post count indicates you are an established member. No forum police but you started that thread and it took me 10 seconds to find it:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/i-think-i-have-a-door-rattle.235207/
You can also look in "threads I started" and it will be in there.

Whats the big deal? he is only asking a genuine question.. Sound like you woke up on the wrong side of bed today :laugh:
Actually, it was a good night, thanks, and beautiful sunny day too.

Nuts,
I cannot find the original post and I can't remember the name of the stuff...
Can anyone help? I thought it was called gummy pledge or something

its Gummi Pflege but a search on gummy (which you used in your Q) would have found it in the top 10 returned results.

Folks, there is a search function and it works.

Not directed at you J4MMYz but there is a real theme on the 8V forum that manifests in several ways:
1. can't be bothered to search before asking.
2. can't be bothered to look at the FAQs before asking.
3. search but if its not in the top few results then give up & ask.

OK, there will always be newbie questions and we must remember we were all newbies once; both on this forum and also with the 8V. On the 8V there is still a lot for us all to learn. That said, the forum is a community. A lot of people spend time contributing and helping each other. The search function works and the FAQs were put together (mainly by @veeeight) to help people find information and one of the many reasons was the number of threads that already existed on the same topic. The more threads on the same topic just make it harder for people to find information, and then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

ASN is the forum with a premier reputation for a damn good reason; good people with lot of great information; much of which already exists and is pretty easy to find if people take a minute to do so. This is in general on ASN, and the 8V section is just part of that.

It's almost a flippant comment but do we need an FAQ on how to search?

I am not looking to start an argument. I just call it how I see it.

Reactions: glospete, slipped_disc and veeeight
Am pretty surprised, given your post count indicates you are an established member. No forum police but you started that thread and it took me 10 seconds to find it:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/i-think-i-have-a-door-rattle.235207/
You can also look in "threads I started" and it will be in there.

Actually, it was a good night, thanks, and beautiful sunny day too.

its Gummi Pflege but a search on gummy (which you used in your Q) would have found it in the top 10 returned results.

Folks, there is a search function and it works.

Not directed at you J4MMYz but there is a real theme on the 8V forum that manifests in several ways:
1. can't be bothered to search before asking.
2. can't be bothered to look at the FAQs before asking.
3. search but if its not in the top few results then give up & ask.

OK, there will always be newbie questions and we must remember we were all newbies once; both on this forum and also with the 8V. On the 8V there is still a lot for us all to learn. That said, the forum is a community. A lot of people spend time contributing and helping each other. The search function works and the FAQs were put together (mainly by @veeeight) to help people find information and one of the many reasons was the number of threads that already existed on the same topic. The more threads on the same topic just make it harder for people to find information, and then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

ASN is the forum with a premier reputation for a damn good reason; good people with lot of great information; much of which already exists and is pretty easy to find if people take a minute to do so. This is in general on ASN, and the 8V section is just part of that.

It's almost a flippant comment but do we need an FAQ on how to search?

I am not looking to start an argument. I just call it how I see it.

Well see now this is what gets up my back, unrelated to this thread but I ask a question where I either want different answers, or more opinions and I get certain people linking old posts or doing the pointless thing of telling me to search it first - what if I have searched it first? Or I don't know what to search? Geez give me a break. Constantly getting fed up of getting flamed for not searching before I ask, when infact I have!

To clear things up: not having a go at you, just making a point. Also, it is helpful when people do sometimes link other posts, but most of the time it's 'omg why haven't you read this heres the FAQ's and other threads on this subject you lazy so and so'

I had that when I posted a new thread about 1.4 COD V-Power - I wanted NEW and FRESH opinions, and got a few people saying what you've said now.

No offense, I know your not wanting an argument and neither am I, thats just my views. I had completely forgot what to type in to search for it, and I don't know my way around this site much to find all my posts. I also, as said above, wanted a fresh start instead of reviving an old thread that most people would see in their inbox and ignore it because they might think it's just a load of rubbish being posted like what happens in the mono.pur threads.

Reactions: mister.c.
Excellent Thread and even better Links.
I'm off to buy some Gummi Pflege as experienced this today.

Car was left out in the cold on Saturday night - unusual for my car, it likes the Garage.

It is disappointing to see such a lot of Threads / Advice on this subject though.
Once again, I feel disillusioned with the Audi Brand - I've never had to rub sealant stuff on any of my previous cars ??
This car is only six months old - don't fancy having to do this every quarter for the next 3 / 4 years.

Reactions: veeeight
Well see now this is what gets up my back, unrelated to this thread but I ask a question where I either want different answers, or more opinions and I get certain people linking old posts or doing the pointless thing of telling me to search it first - what if I have searched it first? Or I don't know what to search? Geez give me a break. Constantly getting fed up of getting flamed for not searching before I ask, when infact I have!

To clear things up: not having a go at you, just making a point. Also, it is helpful when people do sometimes link other posts, but most of the time it's 'omg why haven't you read this heres the FAQ's and other threads on this subject you lazy so and so'

I had that when I posted a new thread about 1.4 COD V-Power - I wanted NEW and FRESH opinions, and got a few people saying what you've said now.

No offense, I know your not wanting an argument and neither am I, thats just my views. I had completely forgot what to type in to search for it, and I don't know my way around this site much to find all my posts. I also, as said above, wanted a fresh start instead of reviving an old thread that most people would see in their inbox and ignore it because they might think it's just a load of rubbish being posted like what happens in the mono.pur threads.

Not wanting a get a blocking for answering your question, but I have the answer to this one. I had this very problem with my A4. Every time I went over a bump I would hear a knocking/cracking sound coming from the door and so took it back to my dealer. The car was only a few weeks old and although it didn't do it all the time it did always do it on certain roads that I regularly used. I have a good relationship with my dealer as I have bought my last three Audi's from them and he admitted that this was a problem and they even had a fix for it. They fitted a transparent tape that fitted all along the inside of the door shut, front to back and fitted down the B post. This wasn't a bodge job with just some transparent tape stuck on, you could see it had been machine cut and the tape on both sides of the car were identical. So if they produce this tape, then one would say it has become a big enough problem for them to do so. Needles to say it fixed the problem and 2 years on I never heard that sound again.
An acquaintance of mine mentioned that they had this very problem and had bought his Audi from the same dealer as me. They refused to admit to him that there was a problem and would not do anything for him. When he went back and told them that they had carried out this rectification for me, they finally did the same for him. Once again it fixed the problem.
I hope that this is of help to you. I not sure if I should have answered your question in this tread or one of the existing ones, but what the Hell.

Not wanting a get a blocking for answering your question, but I have the answer to this one. I had this very problem with my A4. Every time I went over a bump I would hear a knocking/cracking sound coming from the door and so took it back to my dealer. The car was only a few weeks old and although it didn't do it all the time it did always do it on certain roads that I regularly used. I have a good relationship with my dealer as I have bought my last three Audi's from them and he admitted that this was a problem and they even had a fix for it. They fitted a transparent tape that fitted all along the inside of the door shut, front to back and fitted down the B post. This wasn't a bodge job with just some transparent tape stuck on, you could see it had been machine cut and the tape on both sides of the car were identical. So if they produce this tape, then one would say it has become a big enough problem for them to do so. Needles to say it fixed the problem and 2 years on I never heard that sound again.
An acquaintance of mine mentioned that they had this very problem and had bought his Audi from the same dealer as me. They refused to admit to him that there was a problem and would not do anything for him. When he went back and told them that they had carried out this rectification for me, they finally did the same for him. Once again it fixed the problem.
I hope that this is of help to you. I not sure if I should have answered your question in this tread or one of the existing ones, but what the Hell.

Thats really irritating to know, because if the problem is that bad - why haven't they done anything about it? I mean, I absolutely hate chasing up deals about problems. It was never ending with a SEAT I had, and I really don't want to be doing this again.

I might drop my dealer an email and ask her, and also mention about this and see if they have any idea about it. I really don't mind applying that pledge stuff since it does protect the seals & stops them from freezing in the winter.... but what is actually causing this noise? The seals rubbing/sticking together? It's disappointing, I thought this car was meant to be properly built!

So they must have this problem across the board?

Thats really irritating to know, because if the problem is that bad - why haven't they done anything about it? I mean, I absolutely hate chasing up deals about problems. It was never ending with a SEAT I had, and I really don't want to be doing this again.

I might drop my dealer an email and ask her, and also mention about this and see if they have any idea about it. I really don't mind applying that pledge stuff since it does protect the seals & stops them from freezing in the winter.... but what is actually causing this noise? The seals rubbing/sticking together? It's disappointing, I thought this car was meant to be properly built!

So they must have this problem across the board?

I've just sent an email off to my dealer explaining what problem I have, and what you said.

I'm hoping I won't get a bull reply, but I work nights as well so I'm hoping she can arrange for my car to stay for a few days so they can properly experiment instead of asking me to take a test drive to find absolutely nothing which I can assure will happen.

I'll keep you posted but I got an email back saying she's out of office until Saturday, so I won't expect a reply until then.

They are Buggers for fobbing you off and it really does depend on the individual that you talk to. "well" I have my fingers crossed for you!!

Thought i'd update.

I did email my dealer, and at the same time was washing my car + first detail/wax so I had a very good mess around with the seals, I washed them + the gaps, I pressed around on them and up the top of the frame I could replicate the noise as I did it, but I seemed to push it into place better, I also slammed the doors as hard as possible to see if I could squash them in more, so far I haven't heard the noise but it hasn't been very wet... only damp. So fingers crossed, but i'm putting off going in to get it checked as my dealer gave the inevitable reply of 'never heard of that before' so I really can't be bothered wasting my time. If it persists even with the sealant i'll take it in.

Sounds like a result then....... fingers crossed that has done the job.