Metallic grating noise whilst moving

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Got the alternator fixed on the old girl and went for drive. Whilst the car is moving there is a grating noise this is catching something. The quicker I go the quicker the grating noise is. It makes this noise in Drive or Nuetral.
I was thinking maybe the shield around the brake disc but I'm not even sure which wheel it's coming from. I think it's nearside.

Also I have a knocking noise on the N/S/F, so I guess it needs a control arm and 8!

Dan

does braking effect the grating noise?

I guess jack each wheel in turn and figure out where its coming from.

No, braking has no effect on the noise. Yeah I will probably do that once it has warmed up a little outside. Freezing at the moment.

Went out in the car again, it seems that the noise starts from about 22mph, below that I can't hear it grating.
Will jack each wheel up in turn tomorrow after work.

Sorted the grating noise. It was the rear disc that has rusted a little on the very edge and it was catching on the caliper. Quick clean up and now all is good.

The knocking it the top two arms on the nearside. Rear one more shot than the front arm. So will look to replace to the top ones for now as I'd rather buy a full set of Meyle HD's for my B6 first.