140 or 184 TDi A3 Sportback?

I tried progressive steering on a Golf GTi and I liked it although it takes a bit of getting used to. I would have ordered it on my A3 but you can't do that in conjunction with the sports suspension delete option.

Floret Silver gets my vote - is a good colour - doesn't show dirt much and suits the A3 SB shape, (if you get the metal roof rails, they compliment it well).

Has much more of a blue tint under light than the previous silver Audi offered with the A3 (Ice Silver).

Good spec, otherwise. Guessing this is an Sport you are speccing? Have you considered an S-Line as you get Xenon Plus headlights and 18' alloys as part of the package (although the adaptive light / high beam assist functions are options)
Have you got a pic of yourA3 in Floret silver?

@Mark Hetherington - here you go. One taken in the handover room a few weeks back and the other on the drive. Floret Silver does seem to change colour under different light.

Attachments

• 2015-01-26 20.21.11.jpg
    2015-01-26 20.21.11.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 179
  • 2015-01-26 20.19.45.jpg
    2015-01-26 20.19.45.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 169
I am finalising the spec for my new A3 Sport Sportback and have so far decided on:

Metallic paint - floret silver?
CJ1 5 arm kinetic alloys - not keen on standard 5 arm design alloys
Comfort pack
Xenon light pack - cannot afford LED!
Audi sound system
Non smoking pack
Electric fold and auto dim mirrors
Hill hold assist
Electrical lumber support for the ageing back!

Was thinking of the progressive steering but now not keen after reading the comments on here.

Was gonna go for 150 TDi which I have test driove and feels nice but I currently have the previous 140 TDi after having previously had the 170 TDi and I missed the extra power that much that I had to modify with a Chip Express tuning box which did help. I do like to push it when possible so do what do people think I should go for - is it worth the extra? Is the fuel economy of the 184 significantly worse than the 150? I think I also read somewhere that the 184 engine is not as smooth as the 150?

Hi there!

I live in the Republic of Ireland and took delivery of a new A3 sportback sline 184bhp quattro stronic last Thurday Jan22nd. We also have a 2013 A5 multitronic Sportback with 143bhp fwd. Comparing the cars back to back, the extra grunt of the 184bhp engine is noticeable especially in the mid range. It is a little grumbly initially on start up but it's not a big deal by any means and the stronic is very smooth both on the open road and in city traffic. The only gripe and again it's not really that bad is the noise from the Conti types - other people have mentioned this and with sline suspension it is more noticeable. The SE setup and Pirellis on the A5 are quieter for sure.

The spec of our A3 - bearing in mind standard sline spec differs from UK i will list only the extras we had to pay for, B&O, Sd Nav, ACC, Dual Climate, LED interior light pack, Heated seats, Auto dim mirrors & fold, High beam assist, Lumbar support. Incidentally it comes with xenons as standards but not the "plus" that's standard in the UK.

Hi there!

I live in the Republic of Ireland and took delivery of a new A3 sportback sline 184bhp quattro stronic last Thurday Jan22nd. We also have a 2013 A5 multitronic Sportback with 143bhp fwd. Comparing the cars back to back, the extra grunt of the 184bhp engine is noticeable especially in the mid range. It is a little grumbly initially on start up but it's not a big deal by any means and the stronic is very smooth both on the open road and in city traffic. The only gripe and again it's not really that bad is the noise from the Conti types - other people have mentioned this and with sline suspension it is more noticeable. The SE setup and Pirellis on the A5 are quieter for sure.

The spec of our A3 - bearing in mind standard sline spec differs from UK i will list only the extras we had to pay for, B&O, Sd Nav, ACC, Dual Climate, LED interior light pack, Heated seats, Auto dim mirrors & fold, High beam assist, Lumbar support. Incidentally it comes with xenons as standards but not the "plus" that's standard in the UK.
Hi & :welcome!: to Audi-sport.net!

Your new A3 sounds very nice. Have you any pics that we can all see? We like pics on ASN! lol

Enjoy the site :thumbs up:

Hi & :welcome!: to Audi-sport.net!

Your new A3 sounds very nice. Have you any pics that we can all see? We like pics on ASN! lol

Enjoy the site :thumbs up:

Hi!

Thanks for the welcome! I'll post some pics as soon as I get the car washed. It's not looking too clean thanks to a couple of long distance runs!

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Me too. But I haven't driven an A3 with/without back to back to really feel the difference.

I test drove an identical car with standard steering before I ordered mine, took a chance on Progressive Steering as an option based on views on here. It was the first thing I noticed (in a good way) on my drive home after picking it up.

Reactions: arad85
184 - no question in my mind. I'd also agree with spec'ing the s-line - given you are spec'ing the Xenons, you'll probably get the difference back in residual value when you sell and the s-line looks that bit more special. Personally, I use hold assist all the time (our other car also has it). Haven't used a handbrake in the last year or so....
Thanks for the heads up on the S Line. Test drove one today and really liked it but was wondering how much difference the 18" wheels make to the suspension and ride compared to the Sport - I could not tell much difference to my current A3 Sportback Sport but I could only drive it for about 15 mins on a couple of different roads. On the way out there was a brand new A3 Sportback S Line on the forecourt ready to be prepped for a customer in brilliant red and it looked amazing - the body kit really does enhance the looks! With the S Line you get the part leather seats and the xenons as well as the body kit.
Revised Spec for A3 Sportback 184ps TDI would be:

Sport suspension
Comfort pack
Interior light pack
Audi sound system
Non smoke pack
Electric and dimmable mirrors
HHA
Electric lumbar
High Beam Assist

Torn between brilliant red, floret silver or scuba blue - decisions decisions!

On the way out there was a brand new A3 Sportback S Line on the forecourt ready to be prepped for a customer in brilliant red and it looked amazing - the body kit really does enhance the looks!
Yes, I think so too.

Given you have the comfort pack, I would seriously consider spec'ing ACC. The extra cost is peanuts given the benefit (I use mine all the time).

Torn between brilliant red, floret silver or scuba blue - decisions decisions!
#firstworldprobems

Thanks but can't see myself using ACC much on the Cumbrian roads I drive on most of the time!

just to throw another colour in there - if you like red what about shiraz red?:lick:

very true.. it is very drinkable. When I was looking at colours myself, I was initally going to go for scuba blue or panther black. Shiraz really snuck out of left field. Its one of those you have to see for yourself on a sunny day... From the ones you've quoted I'd go for the Floret if you can spare the cash, or the brilliant red if you want to use the money for other options!

I only ever use my ACC in traffic queues and through speed limited roadworks where it works well, especially with the s-tronic. I prefer to drive the car myself at other times.