Bought 61 reg A3 2.0 TDI Sport 5dr - new alloys wanted

lucasdv

Reaction score
First of all allow me to introduce myself. I'm Lucas and just yesterday I bought a 61 reg A3 2.0 TDI Sport 5dr in brilliant black, although am yet to collect it.

Really looking forward to getting it, but the only thing I dislike about it are the alloys.

They are currently 16", but I intend to put on the "kinetic" style alloys which are 17". Can I up the size of the wheels without any other potential issues cropping up? I'm sure I can physically change them myself, but is there anyone out there who's done it who can vouch for its success?

My second question could be construed as a fairly dumb one, so please forgive my naivety; I was under the impression that the "Sportback" A3 was simply a 5dr A3 as opposed to a 3dr. I ask this question as the car I bought was not advertised as a Sportback. I've also noticed during my searches on Auto Trader that some are advertised as Sportback and some don't seem to be, but I cannot work out why, if there even is indeed a difference.

Many thanks.

Of course you can put bigger wheels on although a Sport should already have 17" alloys fitted as part of the Sport trim.

Use 225/45/17 tyres and you'll not have any issues.

A Sportback is a 5dr, some people call it by Sportback or 5dr. They're both the same.

Thanks, appreciate the insight.

Yes my mistake it is not a sport, hence 16" and not 17".

Apart from wheel size - are there much differences between the standard and sport trim?

Sports seats, auxillary input, front fogs, 15mm lower than standard trim, concert radio with 4 door speakers over the standard 2, 3 spoke steering wheel, digital aircon, aluminuim door trim, sun blind in rear parcel shelf, full drivers information system.

Cheers - not necessarily things I'd feel I was missing out on.

I'd also think about lowering it slightly to something similar to the sport's ride height (what's that about 15 or 20mm)? and then sticking 17s on - worthwhile do you think? And if so, what's involved? Very new to this I'm sure you can gather.

Welcome.

Audi love giving cars 'different' names to try and differentiate them so for

Sportback = 5 Door
Avant = Estate
Spyder = Cabriolet
e-tron = Hybrid
Q = SUV

As above your car should come with 17" alloys. Why not go straight to 18"?

Good luck with your car and modifying.

I wouldn't bother with going from 16" to 17" wheels, not worth the effort in my humble opinion

Go to 18x8J wheels with ET45 and use 225/40/18 tyres

You will maintain the rolling radius and therefore won't (a)effect the speedo/gear ratio etc and the car will look nice

Do consider the fact that it will need lowering at some point too if you change the alloys, more so with 18" than 17"

Also hit up @NHN for any retrofits you may want. RNS-E, cruise control, Bluetooth, parking sensors, etc

He has done lots of work on my car and many other members on here, can't fault him... Although he drinks too many chai lattes from Starbucks

Great stuff guys, thanks.

I'm not sure about lowering it yet, but I need to check if it would void my 2yr warranty.

Definitely looking at new alloys though, so may have to move to 17" if I can't lower it. Much nicer selection than 16" as well as I'd prefer to stick to genuine Audi alloys (probably used).

My motor is standard trim so neither SE or Sport, which doesn't bother too much (except for the wheels) as it's a decent motor under the hood!

The retrofit tip sounds intriguing @Sayam, many thanks for that. How about in-built sat nav?

The RNS-E forms the basis for the technology. So having one of those gives you nav, CD player and 2x SD card slots

Then you can do add on like Bluetooth and optical parking etc

18" wheels are just right, I put 17s on my old Audi A3 8L and regretted it every time I looked at them. My Golf and current A3 8P have 18s on and they look in perfect proportion.

If you only want a subtle lowering, I can vouch for the Eibach Pros (£172). 30mm lower than standard. I replaced all my s-line springs when I found the rear 2 had snapped. Quite an easy job once you know the technique.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sayam
I second that.. the eibach pro kit, lowering with Better than OEM ride quality