dpf results

rsvrider

Reaction score
Hi. i am having my car mapped tomorrow and i am not having the dpf removed at this time. i have tried to read the car today with vcds and the only mention of it gave me the following results.
90ml particle filter oil ash volume
13.8 particle filter carbon mass spec
13.8 particle filter carbon mass act.
what does this mean. last regen was done 678 miles ago.
i am keen to know if my filter is getting blocked because the tuner said if so mapping would make it worse.
cheers

The oil volume is calculated by the ECU over the life of the car and is a guess for the amount of oil ash in the DPF.
Ash created from oil that finds it's way into the DPF can't be burnt off. Thats why cars with a DPF are supposed to use a particular SAPS oil grade.
The 13.8 figure is calculated by the ECU from the kind of running the car has been doing and the differential pressure seen across the DPF. It's the soot mass in grams.
This figure will increase till the ECU decides a regen is required and if you then look at the figures hopefully they will have dropped right back. If the soot load exceeds something like 45g then the ECU won't regen automatically and has to be forced.
A lot depends on where you are driving, long trips on A roads and motorways theres no issue. Short trips around town and you may have issues.
Just have a loot at the soot mass calculated every now and then to see whats going on. If the ECU detects too much soot build up it will regen more often.
I had my DPF gutted and mapped out
Karl.

thank you for your very detailed reply. makes more sense now. cheers. delete of dpf will happen as soon as funds allow. cheers

Thanks for the info Rick. All done now with a dpf safe map. Cheers

Yes we know.... and knew back in January 2014 .

Reactions: Sayam and LEE69
They are looking for the physical presence of the DPF. If the DPF is removed and gutted and refitted that would pass with no problems.
If you replaced the DPF with a pipe then that may fail, If the DPF is visible and not buried behind heat shields and the like.

Reactions: Sayam