debadging help

BaileyA3

Reaction score
Hi guys, so I decided to debadge today but unfortunately it didn't go to we'll. The badges seemed pretty loose and peeled off easily, the problem is the glue residue left behind. It is absolutely solid, nothing like I've seen when debadging in the past. I tried tardis tar and glue remover (loads of it and several attempts) but it didn't even touch it. I tried heating it up with a heat gun and it seemed to soften it slightly so I peeled it and a patch of paint came off with it so now I need to touch that up also. Does anybody have any other ideas that won't damage my paint further? I didn't take any pics and it's too dark to bother now. As always any help would be greatly appreciated.
Paul.

Strange.

I can only suggest the kettle.

But usually tar and glue remover is King .

It is strange, usually a bit of elbow grease and some glue remover or white spirit does the job easy but this stuff is rock solid and lumpy. Almost like epoxy resin or something but definitely tape because patches of it came off with the badge.

Will try the kettle tomorrow, also read that wd40 might help. Thanks for the tip.

Your going laugh when you read this but anyway how i have done it on all my cars, a wall paper scrapper haha!

Get the scrapper and just get underneath the glue, or try push it off if that makes sense, once the bulk is off the little bit left comes off with abit of compound on a MF. Obviously dont get too giddy as you will scratch the paint,

Jonny.

I have had a few audis now and I prefer the 170bhp one only problem I have ever come across is the dreaded dpf becoming blocked but once removed no problems

Your going laugh when you read this but anyway how i have done it on all my cars, a wall paper scrapper haha!

Get the scrapper and just get underneath the glue, or try push it off if that makes sense, once the bulk is off the little bit left comes off with abit of compound on a MF. Obviously dont get too giddy as you will scratch the paint,

Jonny.

If I tried that I'd end up scratching the paint knowing my luck, besides I don't think their is even an edge to the glue so I can get under it. We'll have to see how desperate I get I suppose lol.

WD40 is a great help I found.. sounds like the badges may have been reapplied using something untoward by a previous owner after being debadged perhaps?

Sticky stuff remover, or hair dryer and use wifes credit card ad the scraper.

WD40 is a great help I found.. sounds like the badges may have been reapplied using something untoward by a previous owner after being debadged perhaps?
I thought maybe reapplied but seems like tape on the back of the badge. Will definitely be trying the wd40 tomorrow.

Sticky stuff remover, or hair dryer and use wifes credit card ad the scraper.

When I used the heat gun I was using a credit card and that's when it pulled a bit of paint off. It almost seems like the adhesive has become one with the paint.

I wasn't chancing damaging my paint on my a3 so got my local body shop to whip them off with a toffee wheel, chucked him a tenner job done, even gave it a quick mop after to freshen it up!

If your car has had the area painted, depending on who has done it... A more lazy workman will leave the glue on and paint over it. If you're pulling paint off with the glue there's a chance this has been the case. Bit unfortunate really mate.

I use the wife's nail varnish remover to soften any remaining tape or glue. It's never failed yet and hasn't damaged paint in the process. There was a tacky S3.2 badge on the tailgate of my one and it came off once the finger nails got under it. Any residual sticky stuff got rubbed off with my thumb.

When I debadged mine I used dental floss and a hair dryer.
Then I used a Carmel wheel to take excess glue off and protect the paint work mate

I was just about ready to give up, spray the badges black and put them back on. Will try the nail varnish remover in a bit. Failing that I may just take it to a body shop and see what they say or possibly get a caramel wheel and try it myself.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cl...ather-cleaner/de-solv-it-sticky-stuff-remover

Used this when removing nonstandard badges that were added by the previous owner and it worked very well.

Would this work any better than tardis tar and glue remover mate? That's what I've been using and it doesn't touch it.

I was just about ready to give up, spray the badges black and put them back on. Will try the nail varnish remover in a bit. Failing that I may just take it to a body shop and see what they say or possibly get a caramel wheel and try it myself.

Would this work any better than tardis tar and glue remover mate? That's what I've been using and it doesn't touch it.
I used a hair drier to warmup the glue and then cut the glue with floss. The glue remover then dissolved the glue and after a few applications it all came off.