What Should Audi Do To Improve The 8V A3 / S3

I'm not sure I agree with a lot of people's "faults" - they are more like an individual's gripe at the way an element of the car or it's functionality was designed.

Couldn't agree more. Many of the "issues" being mentioned are purely personal preference, not faults and are totally subjective. To claim them as faults and thus things Audi could "improve" is nonsense.

Reactions: Pulp84
The lack of electric seat option with memory is, I think going to become more of an irritation once my missus starts to be brave enough to take the car out herself. Only since we've had it on the 'main' car and not on the S3 has it become visible as a potential issue. Joins things like CC, heated seats, auto wipers, windscreen washers (sic), etc. that were never essential until you had the options as standard.

Regarding the EPB - I would tell any passengers or children to "look with your eyes not with your hands".

I'll add that to the Pre-Drive Safety briefing video I show before setting off in my car! lol

Reactions: steeve and Bristle Hound
^ it's an A3 not a Boeing 737.

I'll add that to the Pre-Drive Safety briefing video I show before setting off in my car! lol

"The exits are locate here, here and here. In the event of an emergency you may notice a loud graunching sound and a reduction in the number of wheels" :D

Just a point of reference, the Alfa key belongs to my son's Guiletta, in terms of 'styling' it certainly makes my S3 key look rather cheap by comparison.

Actually when the Alfa is parked next to the Audi, the S3 looks bland .....
Well, one can only hope that the keyfob and the Guilietta's somewhat subjective styling makes up for the whole smorgasbord of other problems that it has. Seriously, did no one actually compared an Audi to other equivalent cars before they bought and then sobbed into their cheerios?

Oh, and if styling is an issue God knows where that leaves us in the never-ending Golf debate.......... :puke2:

Well, one can only hope that the keyfob and the Guilietta's somewhat subjective styling makes up for the whole smorgasbord of other problems that it has. Seriously, did no one actually compared an Audi to other equivalent cars before they bought and then sobbed into their cheerios?

Oh, and if styling is an issue God knows where that leaves us in the never-ending Golf debate.......... :puke2:

Oh well if you don't like the style, so be it - although generally Italians are good at style, even if the substance is often lacking.

I believe I was just commenting on the design of the keyfob as a discussion on just that, not a general critique of car as as a whole.

and btw yes I did compare the Audi to other cars and for my price point, I thought it then and still now the best choice for my requirements.

as for Golf vs Audi design argument , I much prefer the styling of my SB to the boxy Golf R.

+1

You have a single agreement with Audi, not hundreds of agreements with the component manufacturers.

Sorry I didn't mention purchasing contracts or agreements. I was referring to the numerous quality assurance programmes that a major manufacturer has in place. Most auto manufacturers use QS9000 or similar and this is an extensive and multi headed system. There will also be the integral warranty recording systems which will track failures and in house rejections of every single part used throughout the whole of VAG.

But my basic point is that Audi are responsible for everything they use.
http://www.simplyquality.org/faq06.htm

Back to the key fob but on a different subject.

Individual drive select & passenger mirror dipping positions are stored on each of the 2 keys yet the keys are identical. Tying a bit of pink wool on her key seems a bit naff on a car this costly. The fobs should be numbered...oh yeah like on my CRV:oops:

The front grill's license plate frame, they should have different sizes for countries which use different standard for license plate size. Our license plate size is much smaller, so the extra space within the frame looks horrendous.

Are you in North America? The front plate holder here in Canada fits the smaller 12 inch x 6-1/4 inch plates exactly. You might want to see if your dealer can get one for you if it fits your needs.

Back to the key fob but on a different subject.

Individual drive select & passenger mirror dipping positions are stored on each of the 2 keys yet the keys are identical. Tying a bit of pink wool on her key seems a bit naff on a car this costly. The fobs should be numbered...oh yeah like on my CRV:oops:
Could just get different keyfobs!! Or if your missus is anything like mines was her key will be buried in her handbag somewhere 99% of the time! :)

Parking brake: Safety hazard. It can be engaged at speed by an unwitting passenger / curious child. Basically it should only be accessible by the driver.
Same as in all other cars on the market. But if you pass out or have a stroke at the wheel, the passenger can stop the car, so it's a safety feature

Saves me trying it out then lol

There are a number of things they could have done to improve this car. My gripes are here:

Missed Out Options When Ordering
  • Sports Exhaust
  • Coupé
  • Electronic Boot Closure
  • 7 speed gear box for additional efficiency
  • Head up display
  • Heated front windscreen
  • Heated rear seats
Issues
  • Waste gate rattle with low revs
  • Continental tyres are terrible, they could change those easily
  • Radio/MMI plays automatically when starting the engine, even if you turned it off previously
  • The MMI voice recognition can only be described as s***
  • Every time you use the windscreen washers it washes the lights too but causes them to not be clear
I probably have more stored up there somewhere, I'll add to the thread when I remember.

Agree with the missed options, but on the issues:

Waste gate - I bizarrely like it
Tyres - Was really worried I would hate them 6+ plus Goodyear Eagle F1 A2 user but I'm very impressed after reading negative comments, especially in the wet.
MMI voice, I've found it to be on par with other voice solutions. Very good but not perfect.
Washer, is annoying but I'm doing to change the frequency with VCDS

My one niggle with my S3 is the Sun Visor. Easy to pull down with ones left hand but seems to be recessed into the roof by the door pillar making it nigh on impossible to get hold of. Whether this is because I have the pan roof or not I don't know but IMO you should be able to pull down the sun visor with either hand.

Yeah what happened to that fantastic bit of plastic that flipped down to plug the gap inbetween the two sun visors on the old S3 8P ! ?

Reactions: mr gee and Gaviiin
Yeah what happened to that fantastic bit of plastic that flipped down to plug the gap inbetween the two sun visors on the old S3 8P ! ?

fuc%ing yes!

It's the simple things.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO and veeeight
I got a RS key ring with my last car, I hope the one I get with the S3 on Wednesdsy is much better in construction and durability,
This one constantly falls apart with little or no stimulation sending keys and my clubcard everywhere.
It's seriously annoying.

I love my A3 S Line but I do have a few minor niggles:
- driving position as steering wheel seems slightly off set from seat
- wind noise/ buzzing from driver window (ordered stuff for seals which will hopefully sort)
- revised storage pack is not as good as previous: no drawer under passenger seat and so called bag hooks in boot do not work with carrier bags as far too low, the previous version attached to parcel shelf worked much better.
- water still drips off roof when opening doors after rain
- drivers side wiper blade does not cover to windscreen edge leaving a dirt line in field of vision

Most of these issues were present on the previous model so I thought they would have sorted on the new model!

No time (clock) when using digital speedo and not using the satnav screen (in up position) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another think I really dislike is the MMI screen popping up.
They should either build the screen into the dash or allow the pop up to be disabled.
As it is, I will just flip it back down every single time I start the car.
I wouldn't like to imagine how much valuable time is spent pressing that button, but life is far too short!
Sort it out Audi!

^ New A4 has a fixed, high level screen.

Like a stuck on iPad, as some would say on here ;)

They should either build the screen into the dash or allow the pop up to be disabled.
I wouldn't like to imagine how much valuable time is spent pressing that button, but life is far too short!
Sort it out Audi!

My screen doesnt pop up on start up, I have the key not the keyless, and generally have my music/entertainment turned off

Try turning your music off and see if it makes a difference when you restart again.

+1
Mine doesn't pop up on start up if I've turned the mmi off before removing the key the last time switching off. It's pretty standard across pretty much every car I've ever owned that the infotainment/entertainment system resumes its previous state on start up if it was not switched off.

Sort it out Audi!
If you turn the radio off when it's in the up position it goes down, then when you start the car next time it stays down.

*EDIT didn't see the two above me said the same before I posted :p

I don't turn my music off, I just turn the key off. Then it pops up each time.
Either way it's one button press to much. Either before turning the ignition off or after to have the screen remain down.
You should be able to disable it!

Last edited:
The M135i I had last was a pain constantly turning off the screen which is sat there !

At least the S3 8V can go up and down

I think I probably prefered the old S3 8P screen

Maybe you can get it coded to stay down even with music on.

My main niggle is that the seating position is far worse than in the 8P - the sports seats (S3 8V) are worse than my old 8P TDI sport. Seem to be much less body fitting... (or perhaps for people who are *ahem* more solidly built than me - though, I'm 6'2", 95kg). I don't like much about the BMW 1 series, but the seats and driving position are so much nicer, especially with the electrically adjustable seat wings, and the way that your elbow can comfortably rest on the door ledge... plus, it seems to me that you sit lower down in the BMW 1 series (so you get a more natural foot position). Currently I get a bit of ankle pain when driving the S3 because even with the seat as low as possible, my ankle is always under tension.... and that's not to mention that you slide around in the seat when cornering....

I wish Audi would add USB ports in the ceiling both at the rear view mirror and at the back to allow ease of installation of dash cameras.

Even better would be for cars already fitted with cameras in the rear view mirror assembly to allow recording of that footage to one of the SD Card slots. Seems trivial to offer even as a paid option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Pops and Bangs with better sounding exhaust system
  • Bit more leg room at the back
  • Proper full roof panoramic sunroof.
  • Better sound insulation for a premium car

Things that should be standard

Proper integrated sat nav (not the sd card stuff)
Folding/dimming mirrors
Cruise control
Parking sensors front and rear

You get a lot of these as standard on lesser marques and apart from the sat nav they aren't massively expensive so why Audi hasn't included them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Things that should be standard

Proper integrated sat nav (not the sd card stuff)
Folding/dimming mirrors
Cruise control
Parking sensors front and rear

You get a lot of these as standard on lesser marques and apart from the sat nav they aren't massively expensive so why Audi hasn't included them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The lack of parking sensors as standard across the A3 line (particularly the S3!!) is shocking. In 2017 on a premium brand when every cheaper car seemingly has them.

And even if you choose to add them as an optional extra they want SEVEN HUNDRED POUNDS.

WAT?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk