Clutch options for 2.0 TFSI

Flexiblemouse

Reaction score
Hi guys, looks like my clutch has decided to throw in the towel at 261hp / 320 lb-ft. I have put the car back to standard until I get a new clutch fitted but ideally I want something that will handle more power than the stock unit. I have read mixed reviews on the Sachs organic clutches so I'd like some opinions on the best way to go. Does anyone know what the stock clutch is rated at?

i am also interested in this thread.

But for a non mechanic like me, trying to figure what clutches are good is hard.

What do the S3 lads at stage 1 use? as surely this is the cheapest option for upgrade for us A3 guys. my engine code is AXX if this changes anything.

Have a search there was a big thread not so long back. ......

Not big power best is sachs organic with luk dual mass

Big power spec stage 3+

S3 on stage 1 good on stage 1, on stage 2+ normally sachs uprated pressure plate and disc with oe dual mass or solid flywheel conversion. Depends what power you are after

Sachs organic is fine as long as you don't do loads of drag starts.

Mine lasted until 440lbs which is beyond its spec and I now use a Spec Stg3+ which is rather more than you'll need.

Sachs organic is fine as long as you don't do loads of drag starts.

Mine lasted until 440lbs which is beyond its spec and I now use a Spec Stg3+ which is rather more than you'll need.

Is there not something a bit cheaper rated for a bit less power? the sachs is coming in around 1k ish, theres some 'helix'? on awesome for around £500 but im not sure if its correct for what im after.

http://www.awesomegti.com/car/audi/...-single-mass-flywheel-options-audi-a3-2-0tfsi

You would need to factor in a new flywheel with any new clutch as they should be changed together.

The options you've posted may be cheaper but some are also SMF options and you need to consider whether or not you want that.

Once all of those are added up there is often not much between them price wise.

The Helix is ok but not great on torque limits.

Ahh so that helix doesn't come with a flywheel like the sachs does?

I mean im only aiming at like 330ft torque area, which is around 450nm ish i think.

Ahh so that helix doesn't come with a flywheel like the sachs does?

I mean im only aiming at like 330ft torque area, which is around 450nm ish i think.

From what I can see of the ad,it doesn't look like it.

Hi Guys Sorry to interupt this thread... Ive got and s3 ruuning 316bhp stage 1 AMD custom map, with forge twintake and miltek CatBack.

My clutch has started to slip when in 4th gear and putting my footdown so looking to upgrade my clutch want one that ill be good for stage 2+ performance. I have done a a bit of research and by the sound of it the sachs and LUK flywheel is only good for 6000 milles so I cant justify spending £900 for it to just last that long.

But also the 'Loba sachs clutch and flywheel combo for stage 2' says that it puts quite alt of stress through the gearbox and crank case so i dont no what to go for. What is the best in your opinion guys?

thanks James

Hi Guys Sorry to interupt this thread... Ive got and s3 ruuning 316bhp stage 1 AMD custom map, with forge twintake and miltek CatBack.

My clutch has started to slip when in 4th gear and putting my footdown so looking to upgrade my clutch want one that ill be good for stage 2+ performance. I have done a a bit of research and by the sound of it the sachs and LUK flywheel is only good for 6000 milles so I cant justify spending £900 for it to just last that long.

But also the 'Loba sachs clutch and flywheel combo for stage 2' says that it puts quite alt of stress through the gearbox and crank case so i dont no what to go for. What is the best in your opinion guys?

thanks James

Hi James....

Who told you it was only good for 6000 miles?

They clearly didn't tell me or my old Sachs.

I managed to get around 30 000 miles over 3+ yrs out of it before I had to change it,not because it was worn out or broken,but because I'd finally managed to exceed it's torque limits with a big turbo.

The thing that will kill a Sachs,or any other organic clutch is not bedding it in before full power runs(about 500 miles should see that through),and not trying drag runs.
They just aren't going to cope with that sort of abuse,where something like the Spec will.

Also,was it the same person gave you that "advice" re the gearbox and crankcase?

The gearbox can be broken,if you try,by doing a lot of drag starts and suchlike,but aside from the synchros wearing on mine(which is a known issue) along with the selector forks(also known) the only problem was the original bearings wearing,and that was sorted with a set of uprated bearings around 30 000 miles back.

Now,if you're talking about SMF setups causing gearbox wear etc,that's also urban myth,as my Spec has been in the car for the last 30 000+ miles,and the gearbox,crankcase and everything else are hanging in there even though we've doubled the car's power and torque.

Reactions: Allman45 and grchmason
Hi alex cheers for the reply. Its just what I have read on a few forums. Its only because I will be doing a few track days, but I what it to be as close to OEM as possible and be able to handle stage 2 +.

Would the sachs and LUK setup be good for this? What setup did you have before turbo change?

Ill be getting the work done at AMD when it does come round to doing it.

Thanks

Hi alex cheers for the reply. Its just what I have read on a few forums. Its only because I will be doing a few track days, but I what it to be as close to OEM as possible and be able to handle stage 2 +.

Would the sachs and LUK setup be good for this? What setup did you have before turbo change?

Ill be getting the work done at AMD when it does come round to doing it.

Thanks

Ahhh...you didn't mention trackdays.

Naturally,you're going to give the clutch a bit of a workout at starts,and the number of gear changes under heavy load isn't going to be the same as on a road.

If you plan on a good number of trackdays,then I'd recommend the Spec Stg3+ which I have.

Feels pretty much like stock,and will handle a huge amount of load(570lbs) but it is an SMF setup,so you will get a bit of grumbling at idle,but you won't notice that on the move.

What I'd do is take what I've said,and talk to AMD as well about it,and see what the best compromise is.....as you know,they've done everything on my car,and you would be getting good advice.

I used a Sachs/LUK setup until I had the engine built with new internals,and we turned the boost on the old GT3071 up,and then the Sachs began to slip,hence the Spec clutch.

So yes,for road use,the Sachs is reliable,works well,and will not give up easily,but I think for track use,you may want something tougher.

Ahhh...you didn't mention trackdays.

Naturally,you're going to give the clutch a bit of a workout at starts,and the number of gear changes under heavy load isn't going to be the same as on a road.

If you plan on a good number of trackdays,then I'd recommend the Spec Stg3+ which I have.

Feels pretty much like stock,and will handle a huge amount of load(570lbs) but it is an SMF setup,so you will get a bit of grumbling at idle,but you won't notice that on the move.

What I'd do is take what I've said,and talk to AMD as well about it,and see what the best compromise is.....as you know,they've done everything on my car,and you would be getting good advice.

I used a Sachs/LUK setup until I had the engine built with new internals,and we turned the boost on the old GT3071 up,and then the Sachs began to slip,hence the Spec clutch.

So yes,for road use,the Sachs is reliable,works well,and will not give up easily,but I think for track use,you may want something tougher.

Ok cool thanks for the info, Yer it's only a few track days hear and there no harsh of the line starts tho so that's fine all rolling from pit lane.

I'll give Ben a call and see what he thinks thanks Alex

Reactions: S3Alex
We have fitted various clutches now.. The Helix item is def the most popular and is def upto the job in hand.. However I have two customers both running stage +2 software and the O.E clutch is still holding in there.. Its really down to how you drive the car.. If you do not do traffic light launches (I do cough cough) then the O.E item should hold but if your quite aggressive with the car then personally I would go down the route of a Helix or Sachs..

Regards

Pat

What did you go for in the end Mr Mouse?
I may be in a similiar situation. I won't be going further than stage 1 but at 105k miles the standard clutch may be on its way out. Niki at R-tech last week 'toned down' the stage 1 map a little to 285 torques as he felt clutch slippage. As you said 'Is there not something a bit cheaper rated for a bit less power?' - say in between stock and the sachs organic?

On the same clutch, been running 2 stage boost controller ever since the slippage. Using low boost most of the time and rarely use peak torque at high boost. No problems since i started looking after it a little better.

Reactions: mister.c.