Important Security Update...

benjie

Reaction score
Swindon - home of the 'Magic' Roundabout.
I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about the issue on here... unless I missed it.

Either way, this type of thing will benefit from being repeated until everyone has checked their car.

A few weeks ago, Watchdog on BBC1 showed an A5 (you know, the prettier A4!) being driven away in less then a minute without the key. This has obvious security implications. Audi were keen to point out that the car wasn't locked or the alarm armed during the test, so it wasn't exactly fair. That said, alarm sounding or not, 40 seconds to drive a car away is not good.

Press release from Audi - https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/latest-news/security.html

iPlayer link (Relevant part: 17.38, available till end of Nov) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04nchtj/watchdog-series-34-episode-3

I'm aware of the danger of publicising security issues on an open forum, but it's been on BBC TV now and it only takes a phone call to confirm that your car has the appropriate software. I called today and was transferred immediately to my local dealer who confirmed the update had been done during the last service (the helpline in the link above wasn't answered, so I called Customer Services). Had I not been in the dealer network, I would have been vulnerable.

So call customer services or your local dealer and confirm your car is as safe as it can be.

Apologies if it's a repost, but it's a terrible thing to lose your car - especially if you're an enthusiast like us, so the more of us that see it, the better!

Reactions: scotty76
Problem is, these guys are very very clever, the new update will be reverse engineered & cracked again & again, cat/mouse scenario, I don't condone the actions, but I do respect the intelligence required to create such tools, I am totally against theft of course, but audi should employ these guys to help create better software, like google, apple, Microsoft, security companies have done by taking on serious hackers too help create more secure software.

I cant stand audi's rather arrogant release about this, stinks of superiority imho.

Reactions: benjie, V6 Quatt, RS5 JON and 1 other person
Agreed but when they are restricted by EU regulations this is what happens. It's why all the big manufacturers have the same issue.

I thought this was only on the advance key
No, not restricted to advanced key. I know of at least one person saying their car was stolen via OBD port and was not advanced key.

I think the confusion is cars that don't require a physical key to go into an ignition barrel are susceptible. Where the car has the "old" style key blade into the ignition barrel the steering lock can't be overcome without a physical key.

No, not restricted to advanced key. I know of at least one person saying their car was stolen via OBD port and was not advanced key.

I think the confusion is cars that don't require a physical key to go into an ignition barrel are susceptible. Where the car has the "old" style key blade into the ignition barrel the steering lock can't be overcome without a physical key.

Well i will be on the phone to Audi first thing to ask if my car has been updated i doubt it but if its not it will be

Problem is, these guys are very very clever, the new update will be reverse engineered & cracked again & again, cat/mouse scenario, I don't condone the actions, but I do respect the intelligence required to create such tools, I am totally against theft of course, but audi should employ these guys to help create better software, like google, apple, Microsoft, security companies have done by taking on serious hackers too help create more secure software.

I cant stand audi's rather arrogant release about this, stinks of superiority imho.

Just because this will be "reverse engineered & cracked again & again" is not an excuse to do nothing everyone should be contacting Audi and taking the update as this will put resource pressure on Audi as the more this is in the public domain the better as knowing is half the battle. very few security systems prevent theft they just slow people down so the more up to date you are the better so get on the phone to Audi .......

If you want to protect your car you have to take measures beyond the cars in built security.

After speaking to a Audi master tech at Huddersfield Audi yesterday i can confirm that this issue is only with the advanced key not with the type you have to physically put in the dash

The fella i spoke to is actually part of the campaign to sort this problem so if you have an advanced key get to Audi

Shall we not tell the world how to do it mate think about this and what your posting

Here's a link that confirms that at least one person's car was stolen without keys and they did not have advanced key. This is their original post regarding the theft of their vehicle. Perhaps if you talk to this guy again you could pass him that guys details to see if there was some reason why his non-advanced key car was different.

Shall we not tell the world how to do it mate think about this and what your posting
Just a heads up but the original post has disappeared... just your quote of it remains. ;)

Personally I think if it's posted here or not doesn't make much odds - I've previously found links to similar products using a reasonably casual Google search so the organised gangs behind this aren't exactly going to be put off if it's not posted here. Audi's (and every other manufacturer for that matter) seem to be pointing the finger at the unlicenced sales which, whilst they lower the barrier to theft, is burying their heads in the sand an attempting security through obscurity which, IMHO, just isn't good enough.

I've gone back to old skool mechanical locks.....beats a laptop every time!