tuning options for 1.8t quattro

Roots

Reaction score
So ive got myself a 1.8t quattro b7 saloon. Ive had a stage 1 map done and its transformed the car. Only problem is im now thinking about more power.

What are my options? Cant find much info on my engine. Appears to be the bfb code 1.8t. I believe it to have a ko3 turbo.

Im thinking a ko4 turbo, front mount intercooler and the supporting bits should see 280bhp? Which should be plenty :)

Are all 1.8t components the same?

Im loving the 1.8t at the moment and its such a tuneable engine. Need to know a rough list of what i need apart from the turbo and intercooler etc

Cheers
Chris

When I had mine. I went 3inch down pipe,exhaust front to back, removed the cat, s3 injectors, water meth, flat panel filter and stage 2 software. Ran stock turbo thou I had the BEX engine code.

The BFB ko3-029 turbo makes 163hp
The BEX ko3-073 turbo makes 190hp

It ko3-073 utilizes the same compressor wheel as the ko4. But the down side is your car only has single inter-cooler were as the BEX 190 had dual mount inter-coolers.

But if you want to make easy power then I suggest ko4. Depends on your budget. The aim was to go to ko4 thats why i bought mods that would support it.

So for example if you get a exhaust either way which ever turbo you run the exhaust will support the next turbo from your current, same for injectors and water meth.

looks like the 3" down pipe has a major impact on performance , is the improvement the same for the 2.0BUL then.

Its makes a massive difference on the BUL. I have personally seen 12-18hp and we talking easy gains. The TFSI engine itself if you think of it this way how black most exhausts are can you imagine how bad the cat must be blocked?? Think about that...

Now my one friend recently removed his cat and gained 22 hp straight off the bat and his car had 90k miles on it. And that cat was blocked as feek.

It does make the stock exhaust abit more raspy but I personally quite like that. But most importantly your spool times are so much faster and you can actually hear the turbo working.

I mean think of it this way if none of the above made sense would you rather breathe through a straw or a 3 inch tube. :idea:

Reactions: jimmetal84 and unitzero
so then, with or without cat, whats the format if the cat is removed from a mot standpoint, would just replacing the down pipe be a good starting point .
i had the cat removed from my 964 system and it was fine as it was prior to relavant requirements, not sure if the a4 is though.

Well techinically it wont pass MOT. But it all depends who you use. Just the down pipe would be the best point to start as the cat and down pipe is the main restriction in the system.

When I had mine. I went 3inch down pipe,exhaust front to back, removed the cat, s3 injectors, water meth, flat panel filter and stage 2 software. Ran stock turbo thou I had the BEX engine code.

The BFB ko3-029 turbo makes 163hp
The BEX ko3-073 turbo makes 190hp

It ko3-073 utilizes the same compressor wheel as the ko4. But the down side is your car only has single inter-cooler were as the BEX 190 had dual mount inter-coolers.

But if you want to make easy power then I suggest ko4. Depends on your budget. The aim was to go to ko4 thats why i bought mods that would support it.

So for example if you get a exhaust either way which ever turbo you run the exhaust will support the next turbo from your current, same for injectors and water meth.

cheers for this answer, that gives me a pretty good list to work off, I'm new to this petrol turbo malarkey as I've come from VR6s and Fabia VRS's.

Will the Ko4 have the same mounting points as the KO3? I want it to look as standard as possible, but have that power level.

from your post i'll start acquiring the parts:
3 inch downpipe
stainless exhaust
sprots cat / decat (probably the latter)
S3 (I presume the 8L 1.8t S3) injectors
KO4 turbo
stage 2 map (motech again)

did you not do anything with the intercoolers? uprate the original item (side mount I take it) or go full front mount?

cheers for the info though guys :)

I had a VR6 myself loved it to bits, with a drilled air box made the best engine noise ever!

The exhaust is a bit of a tricky one as I had a full custom installed with special bends and different tubing from the front to rear. Not a very common set up but worked very well.

Yes the S3 injectors from a 8L 1.8t.or audi tt225 injectors which is the same thing.

As I mentioned the 190 A4 has dual mount inter coolers were as yours will only have a single mount inter cooler. So there was no need to change the intercoolers not even uprate them for 2 reasons - 1 being i had 2 inter coolers already and I was running water meth which kept the temps lower. I was going to run E85 but it seems not many people supply it this part of town.