Convert DBW to wired throttle... Anyone done it, is it possible?

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
Probably sounds mental to most of you but I've always missed the crisp feel and direct connection a good old fashioned wired throttle gives...

Has anyone ever converted to wired throttle?

Besides obviously having to feed a wire/change the pedal etc are you likely to encounter problems mapping me7 to work with a wired throttle or will the TPS take care of that?

Would be interested to know, if it's not too overly complicated would consider giving it a bash...

Might be worth mentioning I have a face lift A3 (AUM), any thoughts/experiences/input welcome...

Thanks!

Doesn't work that way.. ME7 controls the throttle based on load request... fuelling strategies and timing is based on that too...

If you want a cable throttle then go standalone

<tuffty/>

Ah right, that's pretty much along the lines of the answer I was expecting... Damn ME7!

Deffo not worth going down the route of stand alone in my case, was more just curious than anything else. . . The DBW will do just fine for now!

Cheers Tuffty, always on hand! lol :icon thumright:

No... what he means is you linearise the throttle maps so it feels more like a cable throttle

Pedal maps have a peaky bit so you get high load request for a small amount of throttle movement... linearising this makes the throttle pedal feel more one to one with the throttle body...

You are still not 100% in control of the throttle plate of course as the ECU will open it to suit its needs but feels nicer to drive with

<tuffty/>

Oh right, I understand... I think :-/

Bill, I might have a chat with you about this when I come back for mapping 2.0

Why is this not a standard thing on a map then?.. Sorry for all the questions! Don't really know much about mapping as you can see!

Oh right, I understand... I think :-/

Bill, I might have a chat with you about this when I come back for mapping 2.0

Why is this not a standard thing on a map then?.. Sorry for all the questions! Don't really know much about mapping as you can see!

the pedal is a "torque request" device.. asks for a % of full torque for % pedal movement.
std pedal map is anything but linear in its torque requests.

Many people, having owned their cars for a long time, don't like the linear throttle maps intially when they're loaded on, saying it makes the car feel very strange. I guess it's because you have to use a little more throttle to get the same initial reaction compared to stock pedal mapping.

I'd imagine that's why it's not done as standard unless it's actually requested :)

all down to degree I guess. Some maps exaggerate the dbw effort, so it "feels" faster, lol, whilst making no power difference what so ever.

Mmmmm, so by the sounds of things a linear map won't necessarily be any more "responsive" as such...

Ah well, thanks for taking the time to explain Bill! . . Will be giving you a shout when I've built my new engine a swapped it over :)