red oil light

stevel

Reaction score
Hi....... I have a A3 1.8t quattro and a problem .... the red oil light is on and the engine doesn't sound well at all It started off fine no oil light on... Then on sunday i checked the oil level and it was low so i topped it up out side the shop i got the oil from , after doing about 5 mile or so the red oil light shows up , so i had to get her back home , on the journey back she was not running well with lack of power and missing. When i got her home i checked the oil and it was over the mark.. whoops.. and was sounding unwell with a lot of top rattle noise , now she stood in the drive... please help.....

Red oil light = Very little/ZERO oil pressure = Don't drive the car

Sounds like the oil pick up pipe has blocked which in turn starved the engine of oil pressure, hence the red light. How far did you drive with the red oil light on?

Either way, sounds like you've f**ked the engine driving it with no oil pressure. Only way to tell for sure is to drop the sump and drop a main bearing cap and see if the shells have picked up. If they have you will be better off sourcing a second hand engine.

Red oil light = Very little/ZERO oil pressure = Don't drive the car

Sounds like the oil pick up pipe has blocked which in turn starved the engine of oil pressure, hence the red light. How far did you drive with the red oil light on?

Either way, sounds like you've f**ked the engine driving it with no oil pressure. Only way to tell for sure is to drop the sump and drop a main bearing cap and see if the shells have picked up. If they have you will be better off sourcing a second hand engine.

Drove it about 10 mile ,the light only came on after i put the extra oil in , before that when the oil was almost zero on dipstick there was no light showing .. thanks for your quick replay and advice ....

Drove it about 10 mile ,the light only came on after i put the extra oil in , before that when the oil was almost zero on dipstick there was no light showing .. thanks for your quick replay and advice ....
Is this a job a can do myself ?

Sounds like it may well be toast mate.

>Drain the engine oil
>Remove the 2 bolts holding the turbo oil return pipe to the rear of the sump
>Remove all the 10mm head bolts that hold the sump to the block. (There are 2 awkward ones which are inside the bell housing) These are accessible with either a long ball ended allen key socket or a long wobbly extension if you're using a normal socket.
>Remove sump
>Remove 2 10mm headed bolts that hold the oil pump pickup pipe to the oil pump and inspect the pipe.

If the pipe is blocked then you might aswell get a complete engine (eBay/breakers etc). Be prepared to need a new turbo aswell as it won't have liked spinning with no oil supply. New pick up pipe/cambelt & waterpump/full service on the new engine, rebuild and you're good to go.

In regards to whether you can do it yourself, it all depends on how handy you are with spanners or have friends that know what they're doing.

Sounds like it may well be toast mate.

>Drain the engine oil
>Remove the 2 bolts holding the turbo oil return pipe to the rear of the sump
>Remove all the 10mm head bolts that hold the sump to the block. (There are 2 awkward ones which are inside the bell housing) These are accessible with either a long ball ended allen key socket or a long wobbly extension if you're using a normal socket.
>Remove sump
>Remove 2 10mm headed bolts that hold the oil pump pickup pipe to the oil pump and inspect the pipe.

If the pipe is blocked then you might aswell get a complete engine (eBay/breakers etc). Be prepared to need a new turbo aswell as it won't have liked spinning with no oil supply. New pick up pipe/cambelt & waterpump/full service on the new engine, rebuild and you're good to go.

In regards to whether you can do it yourself, it all depends on how handy you are with spanners or have friends that know what they're doing.

Well thanks again for all your help, will sleep on it ... don't want to be paying for someone to tell me its dead....

Today i will attempt to drop the sump and check if she can be saved are scrapped... from your replay yesterday its not sounding good but until its 100% there is hope.. Like i said its not like she was run with no oil at all ,its when i put to much in the trouble started.............

Dropped the sump and the pick up pipe seems clear to me , so what do i have to do now ....

Check the oil pump.

If you don't know what to do next, put the sump back on and find a professional who does.

Or a hedge and a pack of matches.

I guess if everything looks 100% clear you could put it all back together and replace the oil pressure sensor and give it a try

Thats assuming you've checked the pickup, return, pump etc.

Steve

Last edited:
Sorry fella, i missed some of your thread, it does sound like the damage might have already been done.
I think you need to get someone who knows this engine well to have a good look at it.

Steve

Last edited:
j
Sorry fella, i missed some of your thread, it does sound like the damage might have already been done.
I think you need to get someone who knows this engine well to have a good look at it.

Steve

Thanks for your help and i will do as you say ... great Forum keep up the good work....

Reactions: S3 Hilife
what oil did you use? and do you have any burning oil smells? or smoke?

Hi, i used Granville 10w/40 semi synth... there was no systems at all.... No light on ,i checked oil , showing just at the tip of dipstick got the oil poured it in , set off then red oil light came on , well i knew it had oil in, so i drove around 7 mile to get back home , by the time i got home it was making quite a lot of noise , sounds more like my Diesel van ... Ive now took sump off and the pickup pipe , that looked fairly clean, gona take oil pump off and check that... Dont know wat im doin like, but got to try coz my wallet is pretty flat at the moment ......

fairly clean? oil pressure check will confirm the worst.
BUT....... if its rattled already I fear the damage to bearings/journals might be terminal