S3 Audio components identification

leshkin

Hold my beer...
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm trying to identify some audio components in my recently-bought S3 and am struggling a little with getting things to work as a result. Perhaps someone knows this kind of configuration and can share tips on how to use it? Car didn't come with any details on this.

First up, I have the 2-Din Audi Concert with an internal 6 disk changer:

It looks like there was some sort of wire coming through the HU, as there is hole at the top of it.

Then there is, what looks like an iPhone phone dock in the armrest, which seems to work as far as a female voice barking instructions at me if I press a button on it. I don't really need this, but would be nice if there was some way of getting it to talk to my Android phone.

There is also an AUX port just next to the power socket, which works fine. I stumbled on how to set it as input by holding the CD button on the stereo. I'd rather not use this and prefer the wireless BT option if possible.

Next up, there is what looks like, an iPod interface in the glovebox. It seems to have power as I stuck a bluetooth iPod dongle in there to try and get the A2DP music streaming working, but I can't seem to find a way to set the correct input on the stereo for this :(

I have a second set of Audi stereo keys on order in order for me to take the headunit out and see if there are any part numbers or lose wires that I could see to help me with identifying the media dock in the glovebox. I will try to get the glovebox out today and see if there is anything obvious, but any hints or tips fro msomeone more experienced with 8P stereo setup would be most welcome.

Managed to find some HU keys and also removed the glovebox to find the part number for the Ipod dock: 8E0857925D

According to install instructions that I found, my current Concert head unit should be able to 'see' this, but I can't get it to do that by following the steps. I think that the previous owner just took the RNS-E out and replaced it with this and never checked if it worked.

You might need your head unit coding correctly for it to work. This will require VCDS.

Ah thanks, that would explain it. I didn't consider this to be a coding issue as the installation manual I found does not mention it. I have VCDS already, do you know how to do the coding by chance?

Last edited:
Thanks @Dan-Jnr , I will give this a go now and see how I get on with a bluetooth dongle in there. I'm increasingly looking at an after-market HU option, which will give me quite a few extra bells and whistles for not much over an RNS-E unit in terms of cost :unsure:

I have the RNS-E MK2 and cant fault it. Has two slots for 32 GB SD cards, holds more than enough music. Sticks with the aesthetics of the center console too.

Definitely agree - RNS-E is by far the best OEM option for Audi if that is the look you are going for, there is no question about it.

It does seem to lack decent integration with the outside world and a mobile phone whoever. I don't really keep any music on SD or USB sticks any more with everything being streamed/cached via 3G/4G on a phone with unlimited mobile data (Pandora, Soundcloud, Google Play or Spotify among others). I don't even bother with radio much due to constant adverts... Just make my own playlists or use dynamically generated ones depending on my mood at the time :rock:

Similarly, I have not found a better navigation solution from OEMs than Google Maps or even better, in terms of traffic updates, Waze. TMC just does not compare in coverage and speed.

So far I've been happy with just using bluetooth A2DP for streaming music to the car stereo, with the phone on a sturdy holder being the primary interface to all of this. But having just replaced the A4 with a cheap Kenwood HU, I'm starting consider options to get the stereo to be the primary entertainment hub with the phone acting as the brains, but out of the way, in the arm-rest or something...

From another thread, I see that Pioneer seem to have a very good selection of head units that can provide you with an interface for the apps that are installed on your phone, but accessed and controlled through the stereo or MFSW. I'm seriously considering this.

You can have this, the built-in hands free phone calls, GPS, high quality touch-screen interface, frequent software/feature updates and options for remote reversing cameras and/or DTV, for not much more than the price of a second-hand RNS-E unit. I have used RNS-E on a courtesy car in the past and I just could not get on with it. It seemed to be too clunky to use and don't really want to spend a load of money to then end up using it as a BT receiver for my phone - my old, 100 pound Kenwood HU did that perfectly. Hopefully I can get my Concert to cooperate to do BT streaming in the short term :)