starting issue

localhero

Reaction score
I've 2.0tdi 53 reg I'm still getting problems with starting car. The car will turn over, after I drive it regardless of how long I stop somewhere go to start again nothing it turns as if it has a flat battery, I recently replace battery, stater motor & got alternator refurbished but still having problems. I reset the ECU to see if this made a difference, it did for a week or so then today happened again. Any ideas anyone??

Go check the battery grounding point for corrosion. Assume that the battery connections were cleaned before installing the new battery, if not then clean them. Are you sure that the alternator is doing a good job? Worth a test I would say. Good luck.

The garage have said they sent the alternator of to be refurbished however the copper is still dirty looking, I've cleaned terminals & leads still the same. if I drive to work 15miles takes about (40mins in rush hour) car starts fine but If I do short distances it doesn't work. Lights on dash come on,when I turn key nothing it's not turning over, keys just turn without any noise from starter motor! I've put video on YouTube but can't share link on here!

Sorry you are still having trouble. Quickest thing to do would be to put the battery on charge overnight and see if that makes a difference. If so it may be that the alternator is undercharging. Otherwise, pop down to your local battery shop and get the battery load-tested. Even new batteries can have dud cells. If possible, try a different battery. If all this fails, you may have a faulty ignition switch (no clicking noises). Good luck.

Car back in garage getting another starting motor fitted, hopefully this was the issue, battery etc all fine car wouldn't turn with booster pack on battery fingers x