Reputable custom mappers that aren't booked up for the next TWO months?

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
So I hope to have my hybrid build ready for mapping in the next few weeks so I thought I'd book a date for mapping... R-tech quoted some time in September (haven't got back to me with an actual date yet) and Bill @ B5 has said 3rd week of September. . . This wouldn't normally be an issue but I was really hoping to make the Club GTI sprint day on September 7th. (and I'm an impatient ***!)

I know Bill and Niki are the go to people for safe custom mapping these days but I find it hard to believe they are the only people in the country capable of it, and if they are I'm in the wrong trade!

Can anyone recommend any decent mappers capable of producing a decent progressive map that fuels correctly and isn't spikey/torquey as f***? This is rather important as I'm running OE rods.

And if you an back up your claims with dyno plots and logs that'd be great!

Thanks

Reactions: tunesguy
Thanks Av4nt, I have actually looked into these guys but they are literally the other end of the country!

A long way to go, specially seeing as I'll probs have to leave the car with them a few days... Not the sort of round trip I want to be doing twice!

May be worth mentioning I'm just west of London... I'm just about happy enough to drive up to Niki in the midlands, but don't really wanna be going much further if I can avoid it.

fair point indeed. Rick is just one man with the knowledge of many men! Hes one clever boy!
Love my remap

for the sake of waiting a little while (i know you want the car at the event), but isn't it best to get it done once and get it done right?

personally i would wait for Niki to map it, transformed my car completely

Reactions: s33nyboy12
Ring bill and offer him some more spondoolies and or food of some variety ! I believe gops and others take food for priority seeing too's
;-).

Failing that just find the cheapest one on ebay mate they usually available same day, I've took the liberty below for your copy and paste this thread title though when it goes wrong.

" Please help I got a cheap rubbish map, didn't wait for bill or niki , rick was too far and now my cars FUBAR!" Lol

Sean

Reactions: Nilz and Nick_sheep
I know what you're saying Jamie but I just can't believe there are only 3 people in the country who can map a 1.8t properly!?

To be fair after a brief chat with prawn I'm just gonna cruise about with the N75 unplugged for a bit and gonna book it in with Bill for the next available opportunity, when ever that may be!

ha! Sean, I've heard Bill loves a bit of nosh... Apparently pakora's are the one according to gops!

Anyway, I did actually receive an email back off R-tech (all be it a rather unhelpful one) and If I'm honest I think I'm going off them, so to Bills it is!!! . . If you're reading Bill, I'll call you tomo :thumbsup:

there are others who can map stuff, like Jabbasport (mixed reviews though, but they were great on my Ibiza cupra), Revo SPS (stg3), APR, AMD also

I would still wait of course for Niki but depends how desperate you are fella :)

RTech are poor at sending emails, but they get so many emails asking questions, it's quite difficult. Call RTech mate, you will get a much better response. Niki is a legend, but then Bill is also great, but I just think Niki is the jedi of mapping and Bill is the jedi of hardware

Mate, I've spoken to R-tech on the phone twice... Both times rather unhelpful and unfriendly, but I do understand they must get absolutely bombarded with with calls/emails from idiots and dreamers so it must be tough for them!

Anyway, looking forward to a day of mapping and pakoras at Bills! :happy:

Reactions: Vex182
I've never been to r-tech, they have been helpful with diagnosing problems via Facebook group though. I have had a stage 1 map done by Bill, can't rate it high enough! Put a smile on my face and I really felt he was making sure everything was set up properly rather than slapping a map on. Worth the 300 mile round trip

Late September?! Lucky... I'm not in till November at rtech!

I know what you're saying Jamie but I just can't believe there are only 3 people in the country who can map a 1.8t properly!?

To be fair after a brief chat with prawn I'm just gonna cruise about with the N75 unplugged for a bit and gonna book it in with Bill for the next available opportunity, when ever that may be!

ha! Sean, I've heard Bill loves a bit of nosh... Apparently pakora's are the one according to gops!

Anyway, I did actually receive an email back off R-tech (all be it a rather unhelpful one) and If I'm honest I think I'm going off them, so to Bills it is!!! . . If you're reading Bill, I'll call you tomo :thumbsup:

Sadly, I am on a diet so its a "pakora free zone" here for the forseeable

Reactions: rajazed and <tuffty/>
Mate, I've spoken to R-tech on the phone twice... Both times rather unhelpful and unfriendly, but I do understand they must get absolutely bombarded with with calls/emails from idiots and dreamers so it must be tough for them!

they get a lot of idiots and dreamers mate

Niki is top notch though, full check over and test of the car before the remap, and if there are any significant issues then it won't be mapped, unlike a lot of other companies who will just map it regardless of condition

Niki pushed and broke the boundaries of the K03 and set the benchmark by far. can't rate him enough

couldnt agree more with this but Bill will get wasters to.
ive spoken to bill previously and hes ALWAYS helpful.
Pkus if the car turns up for mapping not 100% he will help where he can not tell you to fix it and come back. That would literally boil my blood!!!

couldnt agree more with this but Bill will get wasters to.
ive spoken to bill previously and hes ALWAYS helpful.
Pkus if the car turns up for mapping not 100% he will help where he can not tell you to fix it and come back. That would literally boil my blood!!!

agreed also, Bill did my hybrid K03 conversion years ago, car was in a mess and he fixed a lot of stuff which still stands to this very day :)

For a lot of people it probably doesnt matter. But im useless with cars so id have no hope repairing it there.
Cant wait to get my car re remapped by Bill this time. Just gotta figure out what he's mapping!!!

Tom cockings at Robert cockings motor repair in yeovil he works with mrc tuning to do custom mapping couldn't fault him

Fair one. Done a lot of stuff around my area though and no complains from anyone including my own car

All booked in with bill for September 11th, which is a little sooner than previously quoted so HAPPY DAYS! :thumbsup:

And despite bills diet I'm sure we could squeeze in a vegetable samosa or two! . .

Reactions: craigt1985 and s33nyboy12
In some respects it might be hard to understand how only a handful of people can be seen as reputable and quality 1.8T tuners, but it's definitely not hard to understand how stupid amounts of experience with the engines get them to that point and leads them to having that reputation.

Fortunately Gloucestershire isn't too far away from me, that and I think Nick would hit me if I went to anywhere closer...