2002(52) AUDI ALLROAD QUATTRO 2.5 V6 TDI AUTO TIPTRONIC LABOURING/STALLING.

mrnice.

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I own a 2002(52) Audi allroad Quattro 2.5 V6 TDI auto tiptronic

over the last 6 weeks or so occasionally my allroad has felt like its been labouring, like it needs to change down a gear and if you put your foot down a little more it does change down and everything is ok, its not worried me hugely and was on the to do's list but I just didn't get round to sorting it yet.

This week when the Mrs had started it from cold and started to do a 3 point turn she was reversing up a slight incline and it stalled on her, there have been no engine warning lights or anything and she has simply started it back up, this has happened to her on 3 separate occasions now, all from cold starts I think.

Also worth a mention is the fact that again from cold she got to the bottom of the drive and went to overtake and she said it seemed to lose power (like a safe mode?).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I will have a look when the Mrs returns mate and report back, thanks.

You were spot on buddy, there are bubbles in the clear fuel line just after the fuel filter when its revved!

So what needs sorting, the filter, the pipework or something else?

I was going to put a new fuel filter on it in case the old one had blocked up since I serviced her last, I'm going to order one right now anyway.

The filter and the plastic valve are a good start. The injection pump is next as the advance gear covers cold start and acceleration issues. Let's hope not. If you have no codes or MILs could be lucky.

Just got the fault codes back:

00542 (G80)

The bottom 2 cleared and so it looks like a they were just old stored faults but the top one stayed, something to do with an injector needle apparently, and apparently "not cheap" according to my mechanic mate, I didnt have time to speak to him properly as he was in a rush, it was raining and I had the kids with me, I will prob pop round and see him tomorrow.

Can anyone shed any light on the fault codes please?

It's the needle sensor faulty on the cyl3 injector, as your friend said- not cheap and common failure on the 2001-2005 audi's...

Cool, cheers adamss24, so do I need to buy the new injector complete with sensor or can I just buy the sensor? I have noticed economy down recently so hopefully that will sort that out.

I stumbled across this on another thread does it really work?:

"Hi All, I have an A6 avant 2.5tdi quatro sport 180, I dont drive slowly and I get 37mpg average. BTW if anyone has a G80 fault code, needle lift sensor fault, just disconnect the plug and insert a 100 resistor across the plug and hey presto all fixed. Its worked for my engine for 10k and its running sweet."

TBH I would much rather do things properly than bodge them as I want my allroad to be as tip top as possible.

Pretty much what they go for new, i could offer you a set of 6 injectors for £250, it's your call if you want to use all 6 or just keep the one with sensor and sell the other 5 to get some cash back... The injectors are under 100k so plenty life left in them...

Does it sound to you like its definitely the sensor that is causing the stalling/labouring/reduced MPG and nothing else that wouldn't throw up a fault code?

could anyone tell me the part number for the part please?

could anyone tell me the part number for the part please?

Straight off vagcat....

1 059130201F
injector complete
/ PR-0GE,0GZ
(1) 059130201G
injector complete
/ PR-0GG,0GR
2 059130202F
injector complete
cylinder 3 / PR-0GE,0GZ
(2) 059130202G
injector complete
cylinder 3 / PR-0GG,0GR

The injector with the sensor is what the ECU uses to dynamically adjust the injection timing, simplistically, if it is not working then there is no point of reference and the engine will use the default mechanical timing all the time, in the way it does whilst it is being started.