Cat back

Cmw9

Reaction score
Where exactly does a cat back system connect onto the standard system? Before or after where the standard exhaust splits into 2. My cars a 2011 2.0tfsi quattro

Really! Thats a bit **** tbf. So is there a centre section you need from the downpipe to the cat back on the full system?

No the catback joins just in front of the fuel tank.
The original downpipe ends there.
When you buy a downpipe you get a connecting pipe with it which joins to the catback

Why does the standard one split into 2 anyway

Does this mean of keeps the standard resonator? If im going to get a custom cat back surely i may as well just save some money and get a back box?

If you buy a cat back it removes the rear silencer and the centre silencer in front of the rear diff.
So if you go resonated you still have 2 silencers it if you go non resonated you only have the rear silencer.
The part in front if that which splits to two is the downpipe.
Hope that helps

See i just looked at my system (standard) and i can see the cat, then it splits into 2 with 1 if them having some sort of silencer and the other a flexi joint. After that there is a straight through pipe into the rear back box? Im confused haha

Is your car an S3?
Mine had the part that splits to 2 as you say then it went to a centre silencer which is kind if pancaked to clear the propshaft then a rear silencer

Mine is a a3 black edition quattro. And it doesnt have the center silencer? Why is that? Where it splits into 2 is that some sort of silencer?

Just taken a picture of where it should be
9uvehuse.jpg

Not sure why that is.
As you say it looks like the same setup where it splits in two.
What tailpipe setup does your car currently have? Does it have the flap in one of the tailpipes?

I dont really know what im looking for tbh but when i look down the pipes i can see into the back box clearly. This is the back box set up
ja2u6ehu.jpg
ry5umybe.jpg

Does this mean i have a non resonated system already? It doesn't sound very 'meaty' like i would expect from a non res

On the S3 if you look inside the right pipe it has a flap which opens when about 3000 rpm or so.
If yours is a 2.0 tfsi non S3 then it must be that the centre silencer isn't needed to keep noise levels down to the required amount.
In terms of a sports system yes you'd say you had a non resonated already.
If you added a decent rear silencer you may get the sound you want for much less, although it would be to cut and join.

Yeah i defiantly don't have a flap. Im going to just look at a back box then to save a bit of money because I'm not looking at getting big power out. I was looking at a non res milltek but it seems a bit pointless to me if i don't have a centre silencer already. Cheers for you help on this

A non res Milltek will still be noisier than what you already have.
If you can get one at the right price

I like my exhausts quite loud and i don't like it will be loud enough from the youtube vids I've listened too

I like my exhausts quite loud and i don't like it will be loud enough from the youtube vids I've listened too
Milltek res would be your best bet then, or splash the cash and get a non-res valved BCS.

Reactions: TonyH38
Is the milltek cat back a cut and join connection or does it fit into a socket on the original downpipe? Dont know whether this means anything to anyone or i have been miss informed buy a workshop

The Milltek catback joins on to your original downpipe where it splits to join your original catback.
Not cutting required just an adapter which should come with your Milltek.
Original downpipe is 59-60mm and the Milltek is a 70mm connection

Thanks for that would you say it is a fairly easy diy job? Im not sure what brand to go with yet do you know if the cobra cat back connects in the same place? The system they do is for the s3 cobra told me it should be able to fit

I wouldn't even bother with a cat back system. Just look at this to compare Milltek to OEM cat back. No gains to be had from what i can see. Put your money towards a downpipe and decat/sports cat for better gains.

audi_vs_milltek.jpg

I have decided to go turbo back. I asked amd tuning if they would fit a downpipe to standard cat back and they said no so i am just going to do the lot. 1k just seems silly for an exhaust though

Course they are going to say no, they want to sell you a whole system.