Taxing a car at the post office - insurance certificate?

ESD1711

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of assistance here.

Need to tax the car tomorrow, and will be doing so at the local post office.

In the past, I've always taken my insurance certificate along with me.... But I'm led to believe that this is no longer a requirement..?

However, I'm finding conflicting information about this.

Post office website seems to suggest an insurance certificate is still required?

http://m.postoffice.....uk/vehicle-tax

'If you have a vehicle tax reminder (form V11 or V85/1 for HGV), bring it to your nearest vehicle license-issuing Post Office branch along with:
A valid insurance certificate or cover note, which must be valid on the date from which the tax disc starts or the date the tax disc is issued whichever is the latest. Photocopies, renewal invitations, policy receipts or schedules cannot be used.'

Meanwhile, the gov website seems to suggest it's no longer needed unless you're in NI, which I'm not.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-disc

'Go to your local Post Office. You'll need to take:

completed V11 reminder
MOT test certificate if required (must be valid when the tax disc starts)
the payment shown on the reminder
In Northern Ireland you'll also need an insurance certificate or cover note.'

So..... What's the definitive answer? I don't have access to a printer to get my certificate printed off at the moment - if I rock up without it, am I likely to get grief? Or should I hunt down a printer to get my certificate?

Seems to have become a bit of a grey area?! I'm sure it used to state on the V11 that an insurance cert was required along with an mot, but these days it just mentions the Mot and there's no mention of an instance certificate....?

Anyone got a definite answer?

I do mine on line. You just need the reminder. I know this won't help you for tomorrow but it's worth remembering for next time

The online route probably actually makes more sense for me just now anyway now that I think about it - cars not getting used just now anyway.

Still.... Seems to be a fair bit of conflicting information or there on it.

yeh it shocked me last time, went in all paper work in hand as usual, to have it all thrown back at me, online is really easy so if your not using it then do that !!

Another vote for online here....obviously that doesnt help you at the mo, but I believe you just need the reminder now, either way if you feel the need, just take it all, after all its only a couple of pieces of paper hey?

I do it online mostly these days. Only if I have a wad of cash in my pocket do I go to the post office. Those people behind the screen can be a bit funny at times, and ask for the insurance cert, even though what they are actually doing is buying it online on your behalf, and giving you the taxdisc there and then.

So did you get it sorted then and did you need the certificate in the end?

Just did it online. Would normally prefer to have the disc in my hand, but don't need it urgently so made sense just to get it online :)

Good stuff, although is it still a case that the tax disc has to be displayed if the car is on the road?

I think technically yeah... But seeing as my cars tucked up in the garage and won't be getting used, it's not a hassle at the moment. The new disc will arrive before I need to use the car :)

I just renewed my taxdisc online 2 minutes ago. Actually, there is one drawback of buying online. There's a £2.50 fee when you use your card, but of course driving to the post office will use fuel, unless you was driving past one anyways.

One last thing about buying online, I think it use to refuse the renewal if the MOT had less than a month left, but mine is about to expire on June 4th, but it still allowed me to tax the car anyways, which is cool. Just need to head over to the MoT station tomorrow morning now. :)

Yeah the £2.50 charge only applies if you use a credit card though, no charge for a debit card

I always use a debit card for it, so no additional charge :)

Yeah the £2.50 charge only applies if you use a credit card though, no charge for a debit card

I always use a debit card for it, so no additional charge :)

Grrrrr, the missus gave me both cards, credit and debit, I went with credit, as I'm currently having a boiler fitted, and feeling skint!