No radio reception after refitting an RNS-E?

Connorb5anda

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with the above - Recently fitted an RNS-E 193 G and have no radio reception at all. I think the car came with RNS-e as it has a shark fin Aeriel and the below connections and loom. It also has phone prep fitted as standard...

And for whatever reason when I bought the car it didn't come with it - so I have fitted a 193 G into my 56 plate S3.

I am getting a fault code on the RNE-e of a short to ground but not related to either of the HF ZF channels. I know the cables are slighgly frayed (below) however these do still make a connection to the plug.

It had an aftermarket unit in when I purchased the car and had working signal with the below white connector.

I have tried plugging in with without the white connector directly to the RNS-e, no difference in swapping them over. All connections going into a factory loom.

So I did some research and had a look at the antenna in the boot to make sure nothing looked out of place and found this:

More alarming is the two wires pictured that don't go anywhere - which would explain why it is not working but how would it have been working before with the after market unit?

Any help would be really great as I really am at a loss....

Thanks all!

The RNSE is very signal sensitive, I'm guessing a lot more so than the aftermarket radio which may have been getting sufficient reception purely from the length of cable from the head unit to the rear window, but it's not enough for the RNSE.

Aerial in line booster amp (Halfords but you may need aerial adaptors as well) had to put in 2 in line with my a4 cab and then just crimp the blue wire of the aerial amp to the switch output power wire of the stereo should give you ample signal

Ignore the cut wires on rear screen, these are normal.

I suspect its 1 of a few things, the frayed coaxial connections as the amp looks rns-e compatible & try pushing the inner silver connector bits inward slightly, these can sometimes not conduct very well & thus signal is crap.

Don't use after market tat, it wont work as well, fix the issue at hand, not make it more complicated.

Reactions: Connorb5anda
Nigel thank you for the input! I will give the silver bits a fiddling then start with the frayed connections - what do you recommend for fixing these?