I'm pulling my hair out here...

noodle

Reaction score
Godam internet! Can anybody help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My ISP is BT and I'm using their 512mb Braodband service and I recently bought a Netgear Router/Modem (DG824M), as I wanted the ability to go wireless with my laptop, instead of BT's own modem.

The problem is that after being connected for about 10 minutes I'll try and navigate away from a web page and get the gool ol' 'This page cannot be found' message /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

It's driving me mad. Has anybody else had a similiar problem and found a soloution? I've tried BT, but fairly, they can't really help as it's not their product to support..

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
N

I've got BT's Wireless ADSL router (Voyager 2000) and it works fine, even over VPN into work.
Are you losing wireless connection to the router when this error occurs, i.e. signal strength dropping off.
Does it work ok with a LAN cable.
Have you got security configured on the router and/or laptop? Switch it off, if you have, on both laptop & router.
Are you using a video sender in the house? These can interfere with a wireless network.
What do you have to do to get it working again once the connection is lost?

Have you got the router set up to keep the line up, or bring it down after x minutes of inactivity?

Also, when it can't find the web page, can you ping anything? (go to a DOS window and type ping www.cisco.com, if that doesn't work type ping 198.133.219.25). This would highlight whether it was a DNS problem.

Turn off any wireless portable telephones as well, In sweden these operate in the same band and caused me no end of grief initially..Solved now.

Check the lease time in the setup (the time period your terminal has access to its assigned MAC and IP address)
as mentioned before turn off security if activated (you can reactivate once the network is up and running properly, just assign a SSID (basically a network name) on the terminal and the box (this will give you a reasonable level of security), make sure you use long preamble on both and ensure that the power setting on the terminal is set on max not Auto whilst you get things working.. then you can introduce one thing at a time.

Are you using the wireless box as a firewall, if so try giving the connected terminal direct access (bypassing the firewall) there should be a setting for this.

Mine works well now, can even FTP to it from the office so keep plugging away.

Is it the wireless that is dropping, or the internet connetion?

Like lost_it says, other devices operate in that frequency (are you using 802.11b ?) e.g. microwaves, tv remote controls.

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
Like lost_it says, other devices operate in that frequency (are you using 802.11b ?) e.g. microwaves, tv remote controls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? How crap is that! I can imagine it, sat in front of the telly, laptop on browsing Audi-sport.net, change channels on telly, wireless connection drops? Does that really happen?

AL

Thanks for your replies.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I've got the router connected direct to my desktop pc via an rj45 cable, so I'm not using the wireless facility yet.

I got really pi55ed off with it last night and gave up!

It sounds as though, going on your responses, that I need to have a look at the set-up of the router in more detail, but I have next to no idea of what I'm looking at so it makes it a bit more confusing!

I'll have another go tonight with your ideas and let you know.

Thanks again
N

Al, it could do potentially. The 2.4GHz frequency is unlicensed, which means that anything could be operating in that frequency. In fact it is the best frequency to agitate water molecules, hence microwaves operating there !!!!

Noodle - it sounds like the line might only be configured to stay up for a certain amount of time, or inactive time; my own router has the option to keep the line up indefinately, or drop it after x minutes of inactivity.

What do you do to make the connection work again? Is it a router reboot? In which case might be a hardware fault (heheh netgear!), or the line dropping.

I have the DG824M - works fine for me!

I'm using a Solaris box as a DNS server as well, but that shouldn't really make any difference.

When I go home tonight I'll have a look through my settings to see if there's anything obvious in there and let you know.

Alex.

I;ve got a DG814 which had a default timeout of 5 mins, had similar problems where I had to reboot the router to kick it back into life. Set the timeout to 0 and now works a treat.

Graham

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
Try working for Cisco, you have to talk in 1's and 0's, or should that be 0x8E..... etc. :-S

[/ QUOTE ]

Binary - Mmmm nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I never really got to grips with it . Hexadecimal - well forget it. It was a requirement of C++, so that was a loooong part of my course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have my router set to a time-out of 0, so I guess this is good.. I did download the latest firmware last night and, fingers crossed, tonight it seems to be working okay.

Alex, I'd appreciate your settings so I can check mine.

Again, a big thanks to all of you for your help with this.
N
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I could imagine what PD discussions must be like then'
Look Bit 4 of word 3 is set to one which means your performance was assesed as poor, if it does not improve we will have to set your employment index to 0000.
man it must take a long time...
we at least talk in Swedish or Hex (either makes as much sense as the other)...

OK, getting back to the thread... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here are my settings - I'll only point out the relevant ones

In Basic settings:
Encapsulation is set to PPPoA(PPP over ATM)
Idle timeout(minutes) is set to 0

In ADSL settings:
Multiplexing method is set to VC-BASED
VPI is set to 0
VCI is set to 38

In Schedule:
Days is set to Every day
Time of day is set to all day

In LAN IP Setup
MTU size is set to Custom and the value is 1458

Err... and I think that's it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And I really rate the Netgear wireless adsl modem/router - very impressed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alex.

Well that was a polava - after posting my last post I thought I'd download 1.4 and upload it - the list of bugfixes looked worth the update.

So, I uploaded the firmware, the router restarted and oh! no wireless lan.

So I ended up getting my laptop and plugging a cable into the back of the router, and can you believe on v1.4 that wireless lan is *disabled* by default??!

Some clever chappy obviously thought that was a good idea!

Anyway, all sorted now, and all working OK. And the orange tick isn't on any more (apparently that was a bug - shame really, I quite liked it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

It's a security measure to disable WLAN by default; most of the security scares you hear about with ref to Wireless LAN's are caused by people not locking it down properly....

Was curious whether just IE having a problem, or whether it's at a lower layer i.e. are you getting your IP address correctly etc.

I only ask as I seem to have a problem where I can ping URL's (so DNS is working correctly), but IE takes several minutes to load a page. Not specific to wireless though.