Belt Tensioner

Shaunos

Reaction score
Hi there.

My 2007 Spec Edition S- Line 2.0 TFSi is making a funny ticking type noise on idle (when warm). The belt tensioner is also moving slightly from side to side. Is this normal? I didn't notice it before. It doesn't do it if you up the revs slightly.

Which pulley is this, is it at the ftop of the belt at the front of the car? Ie not the cem belt pulleys as mine moves slightly from side to side alos and I wondered the same thing. can you take a pic and point to which part you mean? Im interested in whether this is normal too. Mine also slightly ticks on idle

Yeah the aluminium tensioner with the roll pin through it. The aux belt not the cam belt.

Yeah mine deso this. Pretty sure were talking about the same one. Moves side to side. Assuming its normal then if yours does it. The ticking, may well be plastic tensioner guides for the chain cams to do with oil pump or silmilar. Craigcull and giobacsl (and more) will be able to shed more light they are B7 TFSI gurus lol

Lol mine does this, if standing at front of the car its 2 the right of the lump and moves from left to right (aux belt)

cant remember the exact location but yes it does. out of interest when does the Aux belt need replacing? and/or pulleys?

Hi there.

My 2007 Spec Edition S- Line 2.0 TFSi is making a funny ticking type noise on idle (when warm). The belt tensioner is also moving slightly from side to side. Is this normal? I didn't notice it before. It doesn't do it if you up the revs slightly.

Hi Shaunos,

Just to clarify there generally are 5 ticking noises on the TFSI motors. The best way to test these noises is to take a flat head screw driver with a long metal rod/shaft and put it on the part you want to listen to and put your ear on the other end.

1. If the noise is coming from the rear of the engine this will usually means the tensioner is worn/wearing out. As it will be causing slack in the timing chain and will in hind site cause the ticking. Usually a lot more pronounced when the engine is warm as the oil is thinner and the tensioner not lubed as much as it would be when the oil is thick. This noise will sound like a metallic noise. Especially if you idling and bring on the revs slightly you will hear the chain click as it takes up the slack.

Lol mine does this, if standing at front of the car its 2 the right of the lump and moves from left to right (aux belt)

This is normal.

2. Staying at the rear of the engine if you can find the high pressure fuel pump. Usually underneath the fuel pump is the cam follower. Which this is the Achilles heel of these engines as they tend to wear through more so on cars that have been modded or chipped. This is more so prone as well on vehicles with that are pre 2006 as most of the 2006 -2008 had the uprated cam shafts that are less prone to wear. Again this will be a very pronounced metallic noise especially when the engine is warm. Part number - 06D109309C

3. Moving towards the side of the engine underneath the black engine cover which will be the engine intake manifold which you will hear a very ticking noise as this is caused by the nature of the engine being a Direct injection style engine. Again this is normal and nothing to worry about.

4. There is a part known as the n80 or the purge valve now these tick like crazy. Thou I am told you can buy a new part for this as it is relatively cheap £10-15 and will stop the ticking. But I am also told they are prone to start ticking again even after purchasing a new one. Usually if they are proper faulty they will throw a 16825/P0441/001089 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow. Part number - 06E906517A

5. Last but no least the ticking noise you might be referring to from the pulley, basically if they start ticking they generally 90% of the time are on there way out.

cant remember the exact location but yes it does. out of interest when does the Aux belt need replacing? and/or pulleys?

They generally are advised to be changed at roughly the 60k mile mark for the belt as for the tensioners should easily get to 100k but like most things they dont always last that long.
Thou I am told when you replace the one you should replace the other thou that is down to customer preference.

Audi belt part number - 06D903137E - last time i checked was £16-18
Audi pulley part number - 06B903133E

The belt is made by continental/conti tech. So it is up to you if you would like to use the alternative brand.

Hi Shaunos,

Just to clarify there generally are 5 ticking noises on the TFSI motors. The best way to test these noises is to take a flat head screw driver with a long metal rod/shaft and put it on the part you want to listen to and put your ear on the other end.

1. If the noise is coming from the rear of the engine this will usually means the tensioner is worn/wearing out. As it will be causing slack in the timing chain and will in hind site cause the ticking. Usually a lot more pronounced when the engine is warm as the oil is thinner and the tensioner not lubed as much as it would be when the oil is thick. This noise will sound like a metallic noise. Especially if you idling and bring on the revs slightly you will hear the chain click as it takes up the slack.

This is normal.

2. Staying at the rear of the engine if you can find the high pressure fuel pump. Usually underneath the fuel pump is the cam follower. Which this is the Achilles heel of these engines as they tend to wear through more so on cars that have been modded or chipped. This is more so prone as well on vehicles with that are pre 2006 as most of the 2006 -2008 had the uprated cam shafts that are less prone to wear. Again this will be a very pronounced metallic noise especially when the engine is warm. Part number - 06D109309C

3. Moving towards the side of the engine underneath the black engine cover which will be the engine intake manifold which you will hear a very ticking noise as this is caused by the nature of the engine being a Direct injection style engine. Again this is normal and nothing to worry about.

4. There is a part known as the n80 or the purge valve now these tick like crazy. Thou I am told you can buy a new part for this as it is relatively cheap £10-15 and will stop the ticking. But I am also told they are prone to start ticking again even after purchasing a new one. Usually if they are proper faulty they will throw a 16825/P0441/001089 - EVAP Emission Control Sys: Incorrect Flow. Part number - 06E906517A

5. Last but no least the ticking noise you might be referring to from the pulley, basically if they start ticking they generally 90% of the time are on there way out.

They generally are advised to be changed at roughly the 60k mile mark for the belt as for the tensioners should easily get to 100k but like most things they dont always last that long.
Thou I am told when you replace the one you should replace the other thou that is down to customer preference.

Audi belt part number - 06D903137E - last time i checked was £16-18
Audi pulley part number - 06B903133E

The belt is made by continental/conti tech. So it is up to you if you would like to use the alternative brand.

Thanks for this info. I will have to get the chain replaced one day just for piece of mind. As for the pulley and aux belt I will get this changed at next service I think for same reason.

Excellent information thank you.

Reactions: Av4nt
Hi, I thought these engines used a cam belt/timing belt rather than a cam chain/timing chain? In the service history for my DTM the timing belt was changed around 3 years ago.

yeah its a belt, but there is a chain that runs something else at the back of the engine. to do with oil lol

lol, Gonna get me a complex about Chains after the 3.2 V6 we had before the DTM. Will have a listen at the weekend ;)

Hi, I thought these engines used a cam belt/timing belt rather than a cam chain/timing chain? In the service history for my DTM the timing belt was changed around 3 years ago.

You are correct to a certain extent. But they use a timing chain as well.

The reason for this is that the timing belt runs off the exhaust cam shaft , were as the timing chain at the rear runs off the intake cam shaft.

Generally speaking the timing chain shouldn't need to be replaced nor is it considered a serviceable item but like all things in the motor world of parts they all have a life span. And one of those items is the timing chain and tensioner. The parts from Audi to replace, all the parts related to the chain are roughly £160 at trade I would assume around £200 for public. This would include the timing chain, gaskets, tensioners etc. Thou as inticing as that may seem and a cheap fix the issue comes into the part of labour. As its a B**ch to change not only because it is right at the back of the motor there is barely any room to get any tools in let alone the fact that the valve cover, coil packs, high pressure fuel pump all have to come out and so forth its considered a 6-7 hours labour. So that is were it becomes the challenge and costly. Oh and you have to have a cam aligning tool for our cars as its a specific kit that allows you to lock the cams in place as well as a special tool to remove the tension from the chain. So not for the "average" joe garage. Because if they dont do this well you can say good by to your valves and what ever else will go with it.

Not to scare you but these are prone to snap or wear out around the 85-100k miles mark.